Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

data transfer

Options
  • 14-03-2006 12:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭

hey thanks in advance to anyone that can help.

i need to transfer data from a desktop to a laptop but the desktop doesnt have a dvd burner and the files are too big to be burned onto a cd. so i have a network cable but am not quite sure how to transfer data across it.

any ideas?

sorry if this is in the wrong place cause i know it has nothing to do with programming but the people on here give top notch advice so i said id give it a shot

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

You can't really do it with a single network cable. If you have a router (even a standard home DSL/Cable router) and a second cable, you can do it.

Other than that, you would need a crossover cable (a special type of network cable) to connect the two machines for transfer. You can buy these at any PC World or wherever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭liamo

seamus wrote:
    Other than that, you would need a crossover cable (a special type of network cable) to connect the two machines for transfer. You can buy these at any PC World or wherever.
    Or, instead of a cable, you can get a little crossover adapter which you can use in conjunction with a regular cable to get the same behaviour. Maplin have them for about 50c or something equally ridiculous. It's cheaper then spending the typical 10 Euro that you'd otherwise be charged for a cable.

Regards,

Liam

• Registered Users Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭daymobrew

What about a USB memory keyring thing? They are all over the place these days and the machines wouldn't have to be within network cable distance.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Slaanesh

If the 2 computers are quite modern, I believe network cards these days can adapt to the cable plugged in. Converting the signalling to work on a patch cable when a crossover is required ... but then again I could be full of **** :P

Advertisement