Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to buy Plasma Screens in Ireland?

• 14-03-2006 1:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm taking of splashing out and getting a Panasonic 37" PX60. They seem to be going for around £1600-£1700 in the UK. Anyone know any place that might stock them in Ireland? Preferably in Dublin and preferably at a reasonable price. Yes I realise those two may be mutually exclusive :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭quazzy

kencleary wrote:
    Hi all,

I'm taking of splashing out and getting a Panasonic 37" PX60. They seem to be going for around £1600-£1700 in the UK. Anyone know any place that might stock them in Ireland? Preferably in Dublin and preferably at a reasonable price. Yes I realise those two may be mutually exclusive :)
    Here's something:
    http://www.peats.com/cgi-bin/shop/db.cgi?view=1&id=9083&type=6&sid=1333736x0

€3009.00 inc. VAT

Conversion:
    €3009.00 = £2,071

Cant really think of many other shops that sell Panasonic Plasma - I'm pretty sure Curry's, Power City and Harvey Norman DONT do them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Maxwell

http://www.katronics.de/index.php?Artikel_ID=1206&Kat=148&oberkat=45&Tiefe=3&show=1&details=1206&click_count=1&amax=2000#_details

You can get the 42" for 2,690 plus €80 delivery charge to your front door.

Couldn't recommend them highly enough for their service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭YoYOPowder

kencleary wrote:
    Hi all,

Good choice. Going to get a 42" PX60 myself. The new PX G9 Series seems cheaper than its predecessor, the PV500, and if buying Plasma, its the only way to go. Looks like the North is the way to go, for £2000 I can get the Panel plus the integrated stand through Dixons. Snag is I have to get it delivered to a house. Dixons in the ROI aren't stocking yet, but Im sure they will in the near future.

Maxwell wrote:
    http://www.katronics.de/index.php?Artikel_ID=1206&Kat=148&oberkat=45&Tiefe=3&show=1&details=1206&click_count=1&amax=2000#_details

You can get the 42" for 2,690 plus €80 delivery charge to your front door.

Couldn't recommend them highly enough for their service.

They are cheap!! You've used them before?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 210 ✭✭thecutter

Do these guys accept credit card payments?

• Advertisement

YoYOPowder wrote:
    They are cheap!! You've used them before?

Ahh with no stand..

I bought my 42" Plasma from them. They only accept credit cards up to a certain amount. For Plasma's/LCD's they only accept bank transfers.

Well you can always transfer the money from the credit card to your account and do it that way - if it was the only way you could pay for it.

There are a couple of other german web site that have prices that Irish retailers cannot match.

My advice is to find the exact model you want and do a search on google.de - worked for me and saved myself a fortune. Remember that most of these sites will deal in English.

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Bluefish

For those who purchased their plasma's from any of the German sites what is the story with faults with the product (who pays the shipping costs, etc?) are there any VAT issues?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 210 ✭✭thecutter

i was wondering the same thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭quazzy

I don't think there should be any VAT issues as we are all in the EU.

Here's a link to a german website for VAT refunds but it only concerns non-EU shoppers

http://www.germany.info/relaunch/business/taxes/german_tax_vat_refund.html

• Advertisement

No Vat issues - We are all part of the EU. The VAT is only a factor with US purchases

As for the faults - you deal with them the same way you deal with a shop here in Ireland. They will arrange for a guy to come out to you (Pansonic/Pioneer/Hitachi) repair/dealer based here in Ireland.

They are the exact same machines that are sold in the shops here in Ireland - they come from the same factory and are shipped accordingly to each country.

Mine cost 2,700 at the time and it was 4,500 in Harvey Norman - you do the maths, its all good!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭eoinf

alliance electric on georges st sell the panasonic & pioneer plasmas at reasonable enough prices

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭branners69

Maxwell wrote:
    As for the faults - you deal with them the same way you deal with a shop here in Ireland. They will arrange for a guy to come out to you (Pansonic/Pioneer/Hitachi) repair/dealer based here in Ireland.

I didnt find this to be true about Pioneer, when I rang Audio Vision Import LTD
    who deal with supporting Pioneer in Ireland they said they wouldnt deal with Pioneer equipment bought online.

Apparently the reason why these websites are so cheap is that they dont purchase the support contract from Pioneer with them, the online sites deal with fixing the equipment themselves. And I was told by Katronics that I would have to get the Plasma back to them in order for them to have a look at it!!

I went with Richersounds who are based in Belfast with mine so worst case scenario I can drive up to them with it.

Unfortunately alot of this is in a grey area and I really dont think you will find out the truth until you need to get something fixed!!

By the way the above is true with JVC aswell as I also purchased a JVC LCD and was told the same thing by JVC Ireland as I was told by Pioneer Ireland!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭The Doktor

Some brands are imported into Ireland by importers who get a discount, as the do not get a warranty (except for maybe units damaged during transport). So if you go to the Irish agent with a unit bought in another country they will basically tell you where to go.
    This would also apply to certain equipment that you buy in the likes of Currys or Dixons, you buy somthing from them, the Irish agent will not support the warranty as the unit is a parallel import.
    Sayin that.. Ive often bought stuff online from abroad.

Well I was told that there would be no hassle in getting mine repaired by Katronics and advised me that a local dealer would act on their behalf and if it was not repairable, they would send out a new set.

But then again, Ive absolutely no problems with my set and Im over the moon with it. As for Richersounds - the customer service I got from them was dreadful when I was looking to buy the same set.

Everyone seems to have different opinions and its up to the OP to see what money he wants to spend over the security of talking to a muppet in Currys etc.

Best of luck with your purchase

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭phoenix2181

just a quick question regarding buying a plasma from Germany, do they use the same electrical supply as us or would I have to buy a converter & if so how much would they cost?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭branners69

just a quick question regarding buying a plasma from Germany, do they use the same electrical supply as us or would I have to buy a converter & if so how much would they cost?

They use the same electrical supply but a different 2 pin plug ending.. most devices now come with our ending and theirs in the box.. worst case scenario is that you would need a 2 pin to 3 pin converter which you could get for a euro or two!!

They provide 2 supplies

Remember that LCD/Plasma's are completely different to ordinary CRT's in terms of power supplies. Think of your LCD monitor, the way the plug is set up is the same as the LCD/Plasma you might buy.

Best of luck!

Advertisement