Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worth buying a CRT?

• 14-03-2006 6:26am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭

I am looking into buying a family TV. No real intention of getting Sky HD so I am thinking a CRT is the way to go.

We have a non HD, non-brand name (can't remember off hand) 32" LCD at the moment which is crap so I'm looking for a replacement.

Haven't priced any CRTs yet as I'm not near any of the big retailers but I was thinking of a Samsung Slimfit or similar.

Is is worth going for a good LCD, something like a Samsung LE32T51B( hearing lots of good things about them here), and futureproof rather than getting a CRT?

I'd appreciate any advice or opinions.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Nothing wrong with getting a CRT. However, the "slimfit" ones reportedly skew the picture slightly due to the nature of the short tube. It might be worth your while getting a proper CRT, 100hz flat rather than one of the slim CRT's.

I have no idea on the HD connectivity of these. They most likely will take RGB, might accept component, and probably don't take HDMI but I don't know for sure.

Another option if you don't want to go LCD is DLP/rear projection. They don't have the viewing angle of LCD's or even CRT's though.

<edit>
    Just to update on this, I was reading a thread on avforums which linked to a Samsung HD CRT. Still one of those slimfit screens but may be worth a look later in the year.
    </edit>

L

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

I would prefer to future proof and get a TV that will work well into the future. It all depends on the budget

Advertisement