Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AerLingus flotation?

Options
  • 14-03-2006 9:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Assuming the unions don't manage to block it would a punt on the aer lingus flotation potenially be a good investment?

Is it too early to know? Will it depend on how it is done?

MrP

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭killeoin

umm....well i suppose it depends on the price they float at.
    Generally IPO's are undervalued so there could be a "quick buck" to be made on the first day or two but after that i'd be inclined to keep away from it. Accounts were out a few days ago and profit and growth were down substantially so i'd say no. However maybe thoughts of Eircom are still in my head...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Might be worth a punt. May stick a few hundred in, for an interest, although I'd like to see the accounts first before I put any money in there.

Unions I suspect will play the "pain in the arse" card, as usual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

i wouldnt invest a penny.
    the unions will still have too much power after flotation making it difficult to implement change.
    airlines are notorious for not making money.
    a terrorist strike could hit shares at any time.
    economy is buoyant now but no guarantee this will continue for much longer,if they couldnt make money in this economy then they shouldnt be in existence.
    increased competition etc.
    they lost their best executives to BA.
    the flotation wont create much capital for expansion as the pension blackhole will eat that up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭patsyh

The more SIPTU talk on this subject the more stupid they look. A government is there to provide services for the tax payers that are not capable of being provided by private companies. It is not there to run an airline and invest in planes as SIPTU want them to. Aer Lingus will run better as a PLC. Theyre growth potential is huge and they are being held back by being a semi state company.

SIPTU are afraid as less people are joining theyre joke of a union and theyre most popular area is government jobs.

Dont get me started on Great Southern Hotels. How can the great southern in eyre square in galway lose €8million in a year. Its the best location in galway. Why the hell should a government be running a hotel, it makes no sense what so ever. In dublin city each room makes €13k profit per year, yet great southern cant even break even. Somthing not right in the management there, try and make changes and the whole place will go on strike.

Advertisement