Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting a loan to go travelling

Options
  • 14-03-2006 12:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭

Hi,

I hope to go travelling but cannot afford or try and save the money before I go due to the fact that I am still in college. What I like to know is it possible for me to get a loan to finance part of the trip probably 1500 and then repay the loan back when I get home after the year away? I hope this is not too much of a novice or silly question?

Many thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭patsyh

banks do very generous loans to students, pay back later, low interest rates

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭gilroyb

Bank of Ireland offer the best loans for students as far as I know. Apparently they are interest free for a certain period. I'm not sure if it will be possible to get it for a year without paying any back though, I only know about people going away for the summer availing of them. I think they offer up to €2000, but not sure.

The various banks are quite student friendly, if you're in UCD/TCD call into your student branch and chat to them. If you're somewhere else talk to the student officer in the local bank.

The only thing I'd say is to make sure not to put yourself under too much pressure when you get home, try and get the loan as interest free as you can for as long as you can, because once it starts to build up it at any significant rate of interest it might push you into a job you don't really want when you get home from your holiday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭patsyh

you get away with getting a student loan in sept and not have to pay it back for 11mths. That fits a term so dont know about the summer

Advertisement