Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solid wood double glazing

Options
  • 14-03-2006 12:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭

When I was talking with the Building Engineering manager for our new house build the other day I happened to mention double glazed windows (high E, argon filled,etc) and I mentioned Munster Joinery in passing. He knows our budget and he suggested that I could do a lot better than Munster Joinery. Up until then I had been assuming we'd go with PVC Double glazing from some fairly standard supplier such as Munster Joinery,etc. He mentioned windows he had seen recently in a quality house build where the owner used Iroko (sp?) teak framed double glazed windows. Does anyone know about these and to what degree they are more expensive (assuming the same glass,etc) than PVC windows?

Are there disadvantages of these high wear solid wood windows compared to PVC ? Are there other materials I should consider. My guess is that my jaw will be open when I see the cost of these higher end window frame materials compared to standard PVC but no harm in asking ....

~ipl

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Hi Ipl,

Not too up to speed on the solid wood DG units, but we went for AluWood.

We basically have a double glazed, internally glazed system which is aluminium on the outside and solid pine on the inside.
    You get the maintenance free, tough exterior, and a pleasent timber interior.

One thing I would strongly recommend, from a security pov, is to go with an internally glazed system, that has multipoint locking.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Tobi2

Another option www.sorpetaler.de
    hope that web address is right, fab windows.
    Tobi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭anon1

Woodlock joinery in Omagh http://www.woodlock.co.uk

Advertisement