Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WebSite Costing

Options
  • 14-03-2006 12:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hi Guys i've just been approached by a client to convert their static HTML site to a Dynamic DB based one.

I'm actually a full time web developer with a 9-5 so this is a job on the side.
    I'm going to be using SQL server back end developed in ASP with business logic developer in VB COM+

Its actually a rather large sporting site from which they are looking for tons of functionality.

Heres a break down of what is required.

1. Spec out system requirements.
    1. Design DB schema for web application.
    2. Populate the DB with current site data.
    3. Create a back end system where only site admins can enter in sporting fixtures times leagues etc.This will also comprise a search fature for these admins so they can look for existing fixtures and either update,delete or insert new ones. On top if this this should be able to change/add new leagues, regions,teams, fixtures etc Additionally there will be a login screen + various levels of access to the users ranging from superuser to editor/ author.

4. Modify existing site template so content is now rendered dynamically from Db. Probably looking at about 30-35 pages.

5. Deploying the site on a suitable hosting service.

This is really phase one of the project..other projects will follow to include a search engine + a complete site redesign.

Right the burning question here is how much i should be charging for this project and how i should structure the costing. I've been burnt before with a similar project where i ended up gettin nothing as company went bust :(

So i really want to stage payment this time. I'm really a crap businessman when i think of it so, if anyone could give me tips on how to cost it and how much i should be charging in this phase of the project i'd be very grateful.

Cheers
    Tim.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭eoge

Hi Tim,

That sounds like a very big project.

What you should do is try and calculate the amount of time required, starting from the bottom up. Break up the job into quantifiable tasks and work out how long you think each will take. Be realistic. Include consultation hours. When you have an overall number of hours, add 10% or so to be safe. Now work out your per-hour wage in your current job and use this if you believe it to be fair. I'll PM you what I charge (per hour) for this type of work. Now you can calculate your overall figure. Next set a few milestones in the development of the project upon which you will be paid. You should also be paid a certain amount deposit before you do any work (even meeting the client to work out spec., etc.). You should request at least 25% of the overall price up-front.

Also get some sort of contract together (which will include the milestones) and have the spec. signed off before development.

Good luck. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

This strikes me as a rather large project that would probably be impractical as a nixer. Remember, you’re not only developing, but doing all the analysis work, deployment, documentation, credit control and post-deployment support. I suggest you either take on a partner on board for the work or potentially pass it on to your employer.

If you take on a partner, get someone who compliments your skill set. If you take the latter route, ask them what commission would be forthcoming first and if you go ahead with it get it in writing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭jmcc

geanfranco wrote:
    Hi Guys i've just been approached by a client to convert their static HTML site to a Dynamic DB based one.
    What The Corinthian has said and this: Get a written job spec before you do anything. These kinds of jobs can sprawl out of control because everyone in the client company has the ability to come up with some little feature which they think will be very useful.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

Make sure that you don't give them a flat rate with license to add as much as they feel like. I have done so on more than one occasion...

Advertisement