Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Squeezing the last out of my system

Options
  • 14-03-2006 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭

Wondering if anybody has some thoughts on this. Trying to get the last out of my system while i'm saving up for my new rig. [Vista and new AM2 ~july]

Q1. Can a 8x AGP card run in a 4x slot? I understand there would be some lost of performance but i'm looking for directx 9.0 support.

Q2. If so would this be a better option than getting a PCI card?

Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Clseeper wrote:
    Q1. Can a 8x AGP card run in a 4x slot? I understand there would be some lost of performance but i'm looking for directx 9.0 support.

Yes it can & the performance hit will be relatively minor.
    Clseeper wrote:

Any help appreciated.

Yes the old PCI interface would be worse performance wise.

If you are looking for basic DX9 support with enough power to run a nice screen saver & some basic 3D games this will do. If you are after something will a little more power this or this will do. I would not go any higher as your machine if it is a bit old will not be able to keep the high end GPU's busy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

Clseeper wrote:
    Wondering if anybody has some thoughts on this. Trying to get the last out of my system while i'm saving up for my new rig. [Vista and new AM2 ~july]

Any help appreciated.
    Q1: Yes
    Q2: Yes

Presumably your new rig will be PCI-E?

If you're looking for something that will keep you going with (almost?) all games, with maybe the settings turned down a bit, then this:http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=318007&view=detailed
    will do fine too.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Clseeper

Thanks Gang.

Yeah my new rig will be PCI express but the system at the moment would just be PCI.

Advertisement