Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

J. Cash - American V

• 14-03-2006 12:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Apologies if it's been asked before, but does anyone know anything about the existence of teh American V album by Johnny Cash? From what I can gather through Google, there are about 90 songs recorded for an album before he died and there are fleeting mentions of the 'V' album.
    There the trail dies...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭dalk

The Johnny Cash box set "Unearthed" has 4 cds of previously unreleased Rubin session recordings. Any use? Released last year i think... There cant be many Rubin recordings left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Dalk,
    I already have this, along with the originally released 1,2,3 & 4 American Recordings discs.
    Apparently after 4 was released, they recorded enough new stuff for a new album, 5. Maybe I'm being greedy, but some (most) of the stuff they recorded together is out of this world, IMO, and I want more :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Cash was working on Unearthed before he died. There was talk of him having done more songs for another album as well but I think that it might have ended up as My Mother's Prayerbook. I'm sure if there was another album it would have been put out in time for this Walk the Line hype that's around at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭dalk

Apparently after 4 was released, they recorded enough new stuff for a new album, 5.

I don't know specifically, but I presumed that the recordings on 'Unearthed' included those sessions?

Here's hoping there's more to come... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

he didn't do any work on Unearthed. It was released from all the stuff they didn't use on the American I-IV albums. My mother's hymn book is included in Unearthed.

Do a search for American V on Google and you'll see what I mean. I thought that now would have been a perfect time to release it too.

• Advertisement

I remember before he died him mentioning a box set that he was putting together and then Unearthed came out a few months later. I know My Mother's Hymn Book was with Unearthed but it was also released as an individual album.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭ZappaFrank

There will be an American V, Rick Rubin stated in a recent interview that he is currently finishing it off!

Hooray!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

yup on wikipedia it has American V in for a 2006 release

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rick_Rubin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

The reason there's been so much speculation is because there's apparently several disks worth of usuable songs still left "unearthed", originally there was supposed to be a religious album in between IV and V, or have V as a gospel album (depending on the source). With the release of My Mother's Hymnbook it kinda got confused, ie was that the gospel V or the religious album between IV and V. Hopefully V will be one last rock and roll type American Recording.

• Advertisement
Advertisement