Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to kill bugs/spiders/flies

Options
  • 14-03-2006 12:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭

Not sure whether this is the place for this question or not, but here goes.

I seem to have a problem with insects of some description in my house. There is something biting me and the other people in my house over the last few weeks. Can't seem to locate it/them despite cleaning and hoovering the place from top to bottom.

Did the obvious thing and had it checked by a GP who says it's "bugs". He ruled out scabies etc etc.

Is there any way to set a trap that will lure in the little blighters ? Would consider anything that might help at this stage. Home-made natural solution gets bonus points. Must be child friendly.

I know it's tempting to the comedians out there to answer with all sorts of smart comments, but please keep your replies serious since this is a really irritating problem (literally).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Fleas maybe? Do you have any pets in the house? If so, there are plenty of sprays you can use on the carpets to get rid of them, plus, of course, flea treatments for the pets.

Other possibility is bed bugs, which are apparently making something of a comeback due to various factors. They hide in all the nooks and crannies of mattresses, and the only real way to get rid of them 100% is to get someone in to spray the mattresses and any carpets in the bedroom. Google 'bed bugs' for pictures of what they look like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

hmmm, was gonna make a new thread on this but maybe this one will cover it...

Was just wondering if there's an easy/effective way of finding an ant nest, or find out where they're coming from? I ask because we get ants most years around this time, and sure enough they're back again this time! I've read up a bit about it and it seems that killing individual ants doesn't do any good and the only thing you can do is find the nest and kill the queen.

Thing is I don't know how to find the nest! I've tried tracking them but they seem to be coming from all over the place really! Is there some sort of trick that will do it? They go for sweet foods, and seem to come out in the dark, so is there a trap I could set like leave some jam in the middle of the floor, and they'll all march in an orderly fashion from the nest to the jam, rather than attacking multiple targets?

Thanks for any help!

Ps., if you don't consider this related to the OP's problem then concentrate on theirs, this is just an aside :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭m_stan

Alun wrote:
    Fleas maybe? Do you have any pets in the house?

Other possibility is bed bugs, which are apparently making something of a comeback due to various factors.

no, don't have pets so I can't see it being fleas.

did some reading on bed bugs and don't think this is it either. I've inspected the bed closely and can't see anthing suspicious.

is there a catch-all bug killer I could use to trap whatever it is that's biting me ?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

DaveMcG: Poison.
    The workers take it back to the nest...

You don't have to have pets to have fleas.
    Where were you bitten? As odd or uncomfortable as it is, it may be advisable to have somebody check your hair & closely inspect the rest of your hair. Ahem. :)
    A honey trap & "bug zapper" (light) at the same time may help...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

m_stan wrote:
    no, don't have pets so I can't see it being fleas.

did some reading on bed bugs and don't think this is it either. I've inspected the bed closely and can't see anthing suspicious.

is there a catch-all bug killer I could use to trap whatever it is that's biting me ?
    Not sure. I saw something on the telly (Life of Grime) the other night where they had someone in to deal with bed bugs and it was a full body suit and face mask job. Guy sprayed anything and everything in the bedroom ... bed, sheets, blankets, curtains, carpet, the works. So I wouldn't think that a quick squirt of an aerosol would be of much use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭emma6606

Hey Guys,
    A couple of years ago my mam got an electronic bug thing. its about 5 inches squared and when you plug it in it sends out sonic beeps that insects cant stand. Humans cant hear it and it doesnt bother dogs although my guinea pigs didnt like to be near it at all. Anyway for a few years we had no mice, spiders, daddy long legs, or pests of anykind!! It was great.
    I think it either lost its strength or they became immune to it but they're slowly making their way back in now...
    Its worth a try, I think she got it in a garden centre, not too sure...
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

emma6606 wrote:
    Hey Guys,
    A couple of years ago my mam got an electronic bug thing. its about 5 inches squared and when you plug it in it sends out sonic beeps that insects cant stand. Humans cant hear it and it doesnt bother dogs although my guinea pigs didnt like to be near it at all. Anyway for a few years we had no mice, spiders, daddy long legs, or pests of anykind!! It was great.
    I think it either lost its strength or they became immune to it but they're slowly making their way back in now...
    Its worth a try, I think she got it in a garden centre, not too sure...
    :)

I have one of those, we had the particularly nasty problem of rats and rather large spiders.....which had a habit of turning up in beds - The spiders that is, not rats!!! Shining example of masculinity I am, I cannot stand spiders and feel faint when I spot one :D

Anyway, it worked fantastic - rodents disappeared, and no more spiders either - have had it for years, and still no trace of the blighters till the very day I moved out. Definately recommended. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Is it maybe some type of mite in your sofa?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Have one at home, its great! Got rid of those 8 legged thingymajigs!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭seanos

Word of caution on the sonic-style device.
    Some kids/people can hear them - and drive them nearly insane (headaches/dizzy etc).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭fullerand

Anyone got a source to buy that ultrasonic yokamajig?

Similar to the post above, we've just come home to find a rake of ants in the kitchen, must destroy/purge/scare...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭tabatha

could be silver backs (thing thats what they are called). anyway, they live under skirting boards and floors. they are small and like to eat cloths. they are horrible! they run so fast!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Ya, I had some gorillas last summer, damn annoying blighters!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

DaveMcG wrote:
    hmmm, was gonna make a new thread on this but maybe this one will cover it...

Was just wondering if there's an easy/effective way of finding an ant nest, or find out where they're coming from? I ask because we get ants most years around this time, and sure enough they're back again this time! I've read up a bit about it and it seems that killing individual ants doesn't do any good and the only thing you can do is find the nest and kill the queen.

Thing is I don't know how to find the nest! I've tried tracking them but they seem to be coming from all over the place really! Is there some sort of trick that will do it? They go for sweet foods, and seem to come out in the dark, so is there a trap I could set like leave some jam in the middle of the floor, and they'll all march in an orderly fashion from the nest to the jam, rather than attacking multiple targets?

Thanks for any help!

Ps., if you don't consider this related to the OP's problem then concentrate on theirs, this is just an aside :)

Sorry again to be going off the OP's topic, but...

This is gonna sound pretty stupid, but furniture polish is your saviour when it comes to ants. I got an infestation in my house last year when my parents were away, came back one day, and my whole hotpress was covered, as in the walls were actually black... My neighbour told me to spray furniture polish, half an hour later, and the majority were dead, come an hour, the rest were too, and they never came back either!

Give it a go.

Advertisement