Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help me to help me.

Options
  • 14-03-2006 1:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭

Im home sick for the day and Ive just spotted that Ive a €15 itunes voucher.

I need some recommendations! I was looking at the Channel 4 top albums of all time list and Pink Floyd's Dark side of the moon seems to be up there on that and all other lists.

Whats the most outstanding album that I need to have in your opinion!? My musical tastes are very broad.. everything from Christy Moore to Il Divo!

Im going to buy one in the next few hours, just to keep things interesting and avoid watching daytime TV.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,931 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Hmmmm..

Radiohead 'OK Computer'
    Radiohead 'The Bends'
    Elliott Smith 'XO'
    Jeff Buckley 'Grace'
    Smashing Pumpkins 'Melon Collie and the Infinite Sadness'

.. that's all off the top of my head which are must have albums!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

basquille wrote:
    Hmmmm..

Radiohead 'OK Computer'
    Radiohead 'The Bends'
    Elliott Smith 'XO'
    Jeff Buckley 'Grace'

Good Lord.. theres no Radiohead albums on i-tunes!!! Madness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon / Wish You Were Here
    Queen - Queen / Queen 2 / A Night at the Opera / (anything else)
    U2 - The Joshua tree
    Bruce Springsteen - Born to Run
    Muse - Abdolution
    Johnny Cash - ANYTHING!
    Bob Dylan - ANYTHING!
    Travis - Singles
    Bob Marley - Natty Dread / Catch a Fire / (anything else)
    Elvis Presley - Elvis Presley
    Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin 4
    The Beatles - Abbey Road

LOADS more my friend!

Cool :) Keep em coming, Im off all day wednesday too so Im holding off til then!

Why is Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon - always on the top 5 lists? Whats good about it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭casanova_kid

Neil Young- Tonight's The Night
    Bright Eyes- I'm wide awake, it's morning.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37 almv

Sign O the times - Prince

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭slipss

basquille wrote:
    Hmmmm..

Radiohead 'OK Computer'
    Radiohead 'The Bends'
    Elliott Smith 'XO'
    Jeff Buckley 'Grace'

lol Jesus, good selection, now all you need is a large bottle of whiskey, 100 paracetemal, a bath full of warm water and a pack of razor blades

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭slipss

I'd say maybe Bob Marley-Babylon By Bus
    or maybe Dune-Dune/Live (I know the're crap but ye just have to love them)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,931 ✭✭✭✭Basq

slipss wrote:
    lol Jesus, good selection, now all you need is a large bottle of whiskey, 100 paracetemal, a bath full of warm water and a pack of razor blades
    Fair enough then.. two to combat these:

OK Go - OK Go
    OK Go - Oh No

- quite bubbly alt-pop i've just gotten a hold of recently but both fantastic albums!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Bob Dylan - ANYTHING!
    he's released an awful lot of filler material in fairness.
    you can't go wrong with the "Desire" album though

i'm quite fond of "Razorlight - up all night" at the mo
    bought it as a crimbo pressie for a relative but ended up keeping it... don't think it's even left my cd player since before Christmas:p
    that's more of a random recommendation though, rather than something that should be in every collection.

in terms of electronica;
    Goldie - Timeless (i've rediscovered this gem recently... the first track is simply breathtaking :))
    Daft Punk - Homework
    Chemical Brothers - Exit planet dust
    Orbital - Insides / Brown
    Leftfield - Leftism

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

Trotter wrote:
    Im home sick for the day and Ive just spotted that Ive a €15 itunes voucher.

I need some recommendations! I was looking at the Channel 4 top albums of all time list and Pink Floyd's Dark side of the moon seems to be up there on that and all other lists.

Whats the most outstanding album that I need to have in your opinion!? My musical tastes are very broad.. everything from Christy Moore to Il Divo!

Im going to buy one in the next few hours, just to keep things interesting and avoid watching daytime TV.
    Christy Moore to il Divo, y'say?

If you want an album that constantly does well in those 'best of the best' lists, then I'll go and suggest Exile on Main St by the Rolling Stones. Forget Satisfaction. Cock, instead, a leer at the sprawling 18 tracks of the debauched drug addled upstarts when they were still considered dangerous and years before they'd become the showband they are today. It all depends on what floats your boat, obviously, but it really is an album that would contain something for pretty much everybody. Killer opening track (quoted in the sig, btw:D), a wee bit of country music, old folky kind of stuff, electric 12 bar blues, gospel and a few heads-down-take-no-prisoners rock'n'roll tunes. it's going for under a tenner on i-tunes, and with 18 tracks, it's great value too!

Obv if you're more into the reflective introspective singer-songwriter stuff, this ain't for you...but if you want an accessible, hummable, dirty sounding album, then (your illness notwithstanding), this could be just what the doctor ordered...

We are 100% getting places now!! Grumpytrousers, I think you're winning, but a friend of mine is hassling me that if I dont listen to dark side of the moon, he's going to go mad at me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

then it's up to you mate! DSOTM is certainly a popular album...I own it, and it never worked its magic on me, although I'm sure i'm in the minority on this. It's a 1973 Pink Floyd album...it's (although I'll be shot for saying this) prog rock. It's the kind of thing that inspired Radiohead, and you can take that *any* way you want it!

Exile, on the other hand, is about getting drunk, laid and high...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭casanova_kid

tman wrote:
    he's released an awful lot of filler material in fairness.
    you can't go wrong with the "Desire" album though

i'm quite fond of "Razorlight - up all night" at the mo
    bought it as a crimbo pressie for a relative but ended up keeping it... don't think it's even left my cd player since before Christmas:p
    that's more of a random recommendation though, rather than something that should be in every collection.

in terms of electronica;
    Goldie - Timeless (i've rediscovered this gem recently... the first track is simply breathtaking :))
    Daft Punk - Homework
    Chemical Brothers - Exit planet dust
    Orbital - Insides / Brown
    Leftfield - Leftism
    I don't know about 'Desire' for a recommendation, better off with "Blood on the Tracks", "highway 61 revisited" or "Blonde on Blonde".

And the winner is.............

PINK FLOYD! Dark side of the Moon!

I just got too curious about what all the fuss was about. Ive listened to half of it so far.. its .. challenging!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

Trotter wrote:
    Good Lord.. theres no Radiohead albums on i-tunes!!! Madness.

They will not, as they say there albums are complete works, and that they will not alow the tunes to be sold/distributed as seperate peices, or something to that effect.

Advertisement