Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quasi-self build

Options
  • 14-03-2006 1:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭

We have engaged a civil engineer/buildings mgmt company to draw up plans for our house build (and have full planning approval to commence building).
    I've spoken with the engineer and originally our assumption was that we would have him draw up a bill of quantity and send out tenders to a fixed number (4) local builders.

However, his recommendation to me having chatted to me about the house build was that he could take the basic building plans (as submitted to the county council) and provide a cover letter which I could personally circulate to the builders we were interested in getting quotes from. This would obviate the necessity and cost of him drawing up a complex bill of quantities. Rather than ask for a quote for the building of the house structure (incl internal walls,etc) along with all the kitting out of the house he felt we should get a raw quote for just the building of the shell of the house giving us the option to appoint other trades or have the main contractor subcontract (assuming we were happy with their appointed subcontractors). Is this fairly standard ?
    The building engineer would still (for a fee) do 6-7 (or more for more money) visits and oversee the build. This sounds like "self build" the "lite version" as opposed to self build where I (the owner) become the de-facto project manager. It sounds to me like there is some additional stress in adopting this in that we would need (in conjunction with the building engineer) to be very mindful of costs as the build proceeds since the only agreed cost at the outset was the construction of the 4 walls and interior walls.

Any perspectives on this as a route to building a house ?
    2 storey, block wall, on circa 1 acre (250sq metres, 2700 sq ft living area)

~ipl

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭anon1

Not a bad option.
    You can have more control over the finish and the quality of materials used.
    Make sure to have an overall budget in place when you receive the section for the shell completion.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭iplogger1

anon1 wrote:
    Not a bad option.
    You can have more control over the finish and the quality of materials used.
    Make sure to have an overall budget in place when you receive the section for the shell completion.

Hi Anon1 - when I receive the quotation for the shell completion from the builder or when the shell is physically complete ? I'm guessing the former. Just wanted to clarify.

thanks,

~ipl

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭towbar

This is exactly how we are doing it. You need to have the entire build costed before you start. I dont think you would get a mortgage without that anyway.
    But you can then make changes as you go along or select alternative contractors for different parts of the build. We went with Timber Frame so builder puts in base - we supplied frame and windows, builder is doing blockwork and roof and external services. Will most likely use builders subcontractors to do plumbing and electrical.

towbar wrote:
    But you can then make changes as you go along or select alternative contractors for different parts of the build. We went with Timber Frame so builder puts in base - we supplied frame and windows, builder is doing blockwork and roof and external services. Will most likely use builders subcontractors to do plumbing and electrical.

So when you got quotes back from the builder/main contractor at the outset did he include some kind of prime cost sums (PC sums) or nominal costings for electrical which you allow you the option to substitute when it comes to actually getting the electrics done (with his subcontractor or one of your choosing)?
    I'm guessing the way this works is that you mightn't need to have finalised whether you were going with his electrician or your own appointed one until a short while before the plastering is completed. Or am I making sense here ?

~ipl

Thats exactly it - we wanted to show a full contract for mortgage so he put in PC sums for timber frame, windows, slates as we hadnt picked the ones we wanted, plumbing and electrical. He knew we were getting tf and windows directly, we havent picked a plumber or sparky yet although his prices have come in under the PCSums so most likely go with his guys. Its worked out well so far frame is up most of windows in and roof starting this week.

• Advertisement

A friend (other than the building engineer) who has given us good advice so far (as he is wise to the building trade) says he much prefers the approach of specifying as much of the work to be undertaken by subcontractors (particularly electrical & plumbing) up front because he feels builders are more likely to discount when they are aware they are in a tender process. My concern about limiting the initial tender to just the shell of house + plastering and maybe including some nominal PC sums is that when you go requesting additional electrical power sockets above the basic minimum that the builder might take advantage of the fact that the build is underway and the inertia of the project will mean that you will then have little time to get alternative quotes for electrics, etc and you will stay with his subcontractors and they can name their price and be less generous with discounts when quoting for additional electric work,etc.

Have I cause for concern here ? I know that the alternative is to front load the project by having the Consulting engineer take our exact requirements into account at the outset and draw up a bill of quantities for the house build to a more advanced stage of finishing.

Any opinions?

~ipl

Actually I would think the opposite is the case.

If you have priced and awarded everything upfront and you look for extra only that builder can deliver it therefore they are in control of what to charge. With the alternative approach you can price a more detailed spec for electrical nearer the time with your builder still having to compete for the business. Your in a much better position or should be to prepare a detailed spec once the build is underway.

Thats the advantage in my mind. Either way if you change your spec you may well pay through the nose!!

I see what you are saying Towbar.

Taking this approach of staggering the requests for quotations (i.e decoupling quote for electrics from house shell for example) potentially slow down the build because time is money too especially when (as in our case) we are renting a property while we wait to move into the new house. I'm guessing that if the builders subbies look too expensive then you end up micromanaging appointments for the various tradesmen to be there on specific days,etc and the build degenerates (for better or worse) into a direct labour project per se.

In your case you mentioned the main contractor's sparky is coming in below the PC sums so you may go with him. Are the prices he is quoting you including additional electrical work (eg, attic lights, additional wall sockets,etc) and total electrical work which you have requested for a quote from him after the build has commenced (but before plasterers go in to finish off the interior of the house?)

Thanks again for sharing this info!

~ipl

No problem,

yes it could be time consuming if you end up have to meet with contractors and it will be harder for you to get them to commit than say a builder who may have multiple jobs.

Fortunately the quote is under the PC Sums and includes extras however we did allow I think 20% over standard at calculation time as we knew we wanted more than 1 double socket in each room etc and all our lighting circuits are going back to central point for light controllers. Still coming in at under 6k + vat for 4 bed bungalow and garage. I would recommend you consider doing it this way even if you have every intention of using builders subbies as it keeps them on their toes.. It does however have the risk of the builder saying no I cant do it for that price and so you might get stuck having to get another contractor.

Advertisement