Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official new NTL BB Speeds

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭_CyRuSS_

Mech1 wrote:
    P.S
    read to the bottom of the attachment seems we will all need to change our email address !!!

that is in reference to ntl.com employees, since they merged with telewest their emails have changed. doesn't affect us. unless ntl ireland rename to chello or something.

and no upgrade here in Knocklyon either btw

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,841 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

What is weird is that we were all upgraded to 10m for one night before Christmas and for the most part it worked fine.

But now they seem to be very slow with this upgrade, it is taking them days or weeks to do what it took NTL:UK only one night to do by accident.

Maybe they are not only increasing the speeds, maybe they are starting to disconnect from the NTL:UK network and creating a UPC Ireland network and it is causing all the problems?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

bk wrote:
    Maybe they are not only increasing the speeds, maybe they are starting to disconnect from the NTL:UK network and creating a UPC Ireland network and it is causing all the problems?

An IP address check might clear that up. Upgraded customers wouldn't have iP addresses in the NTL range if that's the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

For you guys that are still on 3meg and with a solid connection i would'nt be to eager to get on the 10meg package.The main reason i wanted NTL was the fact that it was so realible. At the moment NTL is very disappointing.I'm regreting getting it to be honest. Speeds are up and down. I could'nt even watch a clip streaming at 350k just now. I find i'm using my Metro connection alot more because its rock solid. I hope they get this mess sorted soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 raz6

Why does everyone keep talking about a 10 meg package?? Am i going insane or is 6 megs not supposed to be the maxium available??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

raz6 wrote:
    Why does everyone keep talking about a 10 meg package?? Am i going insane or is 6 megs not supposed to be the maxium available??

NTL are saying its 6 but its actually 10. Sometimes we actually get 10meg speeds but not that often. I would rather a solid 6meg than erratic 10meg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

People are synching at 10Mbit/s.....so its a 10Mbit line.

The 6Mbit from NTL is due to the fact that they view the 10Mbit to 6Mbit range as very unstable and are unable to gurantee anything higher than 6Mbit/s....with the exception of mabye 00:00 to 08:00 when the vast majority of users will be in bed asleep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭okcomputer

mikemooney wrote:
    I rang them up 20 mins ago, went into the sales queue, inquired about getting the 6mb package having already been on the 3mb, they guy on the phone said I was already on the highest package and that I should be upgraded which he promptly did on the phone.

my download speeds are now worse then ever. lol

mike.

why did they say i had to wait 48 hours!!!!!!!!!! they are weirdos

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,872 ✭✭✭ozmo

Aquos76 wrote:

IE reports 362 KBytes per second (DU Meter reports 3Mbits download). Wish rest of internet could be accessed as fast :)

Speedtest reports almost full 3M speed - wonder whats wrong with the other speed test - was fine for a long while.

“Roll it back”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Phone.Book

zuma wrote:
    People are synching at 10Mbit/s.....so its a 10Mbit line.

The 6Mbit from NTL is due to the fact that they view the 10Mbit to 6Mbit range as very unstable and are unable to gurantee anything higher than 6Mbit/s....with the exception of mabye 00:00 to 08:00 when the vast majority of users will be in bed asleep.

They can't gurantee 6MB either!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭garlad

Was on 1Mb Package yesterday. Rang em up yesterday to be upgraded to next package up (29.99 a month), and was upgraded in 5 minutes. Will probably drop back down in a month the the (24.99 a month) 2 Meg package. Just wanted to see how the upgrade would go for me.
    Was getting 2.8 - 2.9 Mbps down, 270-280 kbps up consistently last night.
    In Cabinteely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 poison-inside

just called there, ill be upgraded anytime within 48 hours. not much use to me now tho as im goin to the states for a month. bugger anyways

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

^^^ hopefully by the time you come back then everything will have become calm and stable!lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭MyStuffForSale

Just got off line with Broadband support. Yeah they do exist. He completed upgrade from 2 to 3mb for me. They can upgrade as customers call, but would obviously prefer to roll out over network in one go, which engineers are trying to implement.

He's not impressed with speed tests, which are proving very inaccurate at the moment. Better to go to ftp.HeaNet.ie , and test speed of downloads using suitable file, which I think someone else has also suggested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Just got off line with Broadband support. Yeah they do exist. He completed upgrade from 2 to 3mb for me. They can upgrade as customers call, but would obviously prefer to roll out over network in one go, which engineers are trying to implement.

He's not impressed with speed tests, which are proving very inaccurate at the moment. Better to go to ftp.HeaNet.ie , and test speed of downloads using suitable file, which I think someone else has also suggested.
    funny. i was told that that office is closed (at 5:10), and was advised to call back tomorrow...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭MyStuffForSale

I rang general NTL number on 1800321321, rather than specified Broadband number. Explained problem. Operator got Broadband support to call me back.
    Which they promptly did.! :eek:

tman wrote:
    funny. i was told that that office is closed (at 5:10), and was advised to call back tomorrow...

Tech support and sales go off about 8.00. For anyone who isn't aware, there is a direct line to broadband support, its 1800 924 424. Saves a lot of time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 559 ✭✭✭ZygOte

raz6 wrote:
    Tech support and sales go off about 8.00. For anyone who isn't aware, there is a direct line to broadband support, its 1800 924 424. Saves a lot of time.
    i dont think BT tech support can help NTL customers :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭keyran

ZygOte wrote:
    i dont think BT tech support can help NTL customers :rolleyes:

?????? That IS ntl tec support number

keyran wrote:
    ?????? That IS ntl tec support number

unless NTL answering machine thanks you for calling BT ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

get some phone dialling skills, zygote.

should have the upgrade done within 1-2 working days myself
    gotta feel sorry for the poor NTL helpdesk staff though, they must be sick of these calls by now. the girl i got through to let out an audible sigh when i mentioned the reason of my call:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

I just was on to tech support there... had to pass a test before he would give me any information! Little test of my knowledge

What upgrade is that sir? What upgrade? Im not aware of an upgrade.
    me: the BB upgrades?

Sorry I am not really sure what you mean
    me : The upgrade which you have announced, 3 meg to 6 meg... trying to find out when we will get the upgrade
    ( this seems to prove i have learned the secret, I've gained his trust now )

Did you ask to be upgraded?
    me: I am now

You need to ask to be upgrade?
    me : Is every one not being upgraded automatically?

No, you need to ask
    me: ok, who do i ask then?

(pause) I can pass your details on to the relevant department and it will be done in 48 hours
    me : thank you very much

What a strange rollout!

Why do they have to pretend theres no upgrade when they've publicly announced it?!

tman wrote:
    get some phone dialling skills, zygote.

should have the upgrade done within 1-2 working days myself
    gotta feel sorry for the poor NTL helpdesk staff though, they must be sick of these calls by now. the girl i got through to let out an audible sigh when i mentioned the reason of my call:p

it would appear my dialling skills are fine but my eye sight is for nought as i kept reading it as 1800 924 924 not 424 :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭keyran

ZygOte wrote:
    unless NTL answering machine thanks you for calling BT ?

You are ringing 1800 924 924 not 1800 924 424

Apology accepted zygote. :mad: I got the same 48hr spiel off the techie. That was this morning, so hopefully by thursday i should be upgraded. Will post as soon (if) it happens...

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭RintPete

I just was on to tech support there... had to pass a test before he would give me any information! Little test of my knowledge

What upgrade is that sir? What upgrade? Im not aware of an upgrade.
    me: the BB upgrades?

Sorry I am not really sure what you mean
    me : The upgrade which you have announced, 3 meg to 6 meg... trying to find out when we will get the upgrade
    ( this seems to prove i have learned the secret, I've gained his trust now )

Did you ask to be upgraded?
    me: I am now

You need to ask to be upgrade?
    me : Is every one not being upgraded automatically?

No, you need to ask
    me: ok, who do i ask then?

(pause) I can pass your details on to the relevant department and it will be done in 48 hours
    me : thank you very much

What a strange rollout!

Why do they have to pretend theres no upgrade when they've publicly announced it?!

I went through the same thing last Friday, except they said I would be upgraded within 24 hours.

I'm still on the old speed.

-=- RintPete

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

You have to ask to be upgraded? :confused: :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

upgraded and happy !

says 10mb on router setting and 512 up!

speeds are good a little bit over the place but us NTL BB veterns know it takes a few weeks to settle after an upgrade!!

Well Done NTL for heating up the competition all will benefit...........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

LookingFor wrote:
    You have to ask to be upgraded? :confused: :rolleyes:

so the man said...
    although in fairness i did ring the tech support line, its not his area but it was the only number i could get an answer on - he may not be fully up to date on the plans

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

So i have to call them? 3MB gets upgraded to 10MB and 2mb gets upgraded to 3?

Brutal.

Advertisement