Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official new NTL BB Speeds

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

downloading an iso off heanet is a much better test of your actual sustained downstream........
    something like :
    ftp://ftp.heanet.ie/mirrors/knoppix.org/KNOPPIX_V3.8.2-2005-05-05-EN.iso

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

I am now getting between 2.09 and 3.06mb down.Im sometimes getting over 3 mb now does this mean that ive had my upgrade already and that thats all my speed increase is going to be?

ckeck you modem settings:- 192.168.100.1

pass:- root user:-root

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,040 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

downloading an iso off heanet is a much better test of your actual sustained downstream........
    something like :
    ftp://ftp.heanet.ie/mirrors/knoppix.org/KNOPPIX_V3.8.2-2005-05-05-EN.iso

I tried downloading this file and here are my results. I also tried downloading the same file using download manager and there were some difference in the results. Anyone know why there would be such a significance difference between using a DL manager and not using one.

With out Download manager

download%20speed.JPG

With Download Manager

Speed%20with%20Download%20Manager.JPG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

its fluctuating allot ! but that sorts itself out ! gradually

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 316 ✭✭d8player

I'm on the 29.99 package and am quite happy with the upload and download speeds (180k/(1.7MB). I mostly only use the web for checking my work email and browsing web pages so at the moment I'm more than happy to postpone the upgrade as it appears troublesome at best. I would rather let NTL use the impatient clients who insist on early upgrades as guinea pigs to find any kinks in the system before rolling it out ot the rest of us. Unless there are critical reasons for needing the new speed then I would advise everyone else to sit tight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

d8player wrote:
    I'm on the 29.99 package and am quite happy with the upload and download speeds (180k/(1.7MB). I mostly only use the web for checking my work email and browsing web pages so at the moment I'm more than happy to postpone the upgrade as it appears troublesome at best. I would rather let NTL use the impatient clients who insist on early upgrades as guinea pigs to find any kinks in the system before rolling it out ot the rest of us. Unless there are critical reasons for needing the new speed then I would advise everyone else to sit tight.

The only reason I am impatient is that I am paying €10 more than the advertised price (paying €39.99 for 3Mb) if they reduced the price and then upgraded us I would be happy but as it is I am being ripped off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

exactly, thats my prob too...
    if they offered a reduction to the new 3 meg cost until upgraded then this would be ok

however as im paying 39.99 and get 3 meg and some people are paying 29.99 and getting 3meg ( or paying 39.99 and getting 6 meg ) and this may go on for several more weeks then im really not happy about the situation....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

I switched from Eircom to NTL at home and noticed a nice increase in speeds. From Eircom's 2mb to NTL's 2 mb. I was happy with that. But at the time I was told that my speed would triple to 6mb which would still be at the same price, 29.99. Great I thought. So now I still have the 2mb line and I rang them up to find out that NTL were bought over recenlty and instead of the promised 6mb line I now only get 3mb. The only way I get upgraded at the moment is I'm told is by request. So ring them up on 1800 234 234 and ask them for your upgrade if you have not already gotten it. I'll have my 3mb line tomorrow.

Its still not a 6mb line tho. Can they do that? Promise me one thing and give me something else? I asked him and he said something about "prices are subject to.... blah blah"

I would have gone for Meteor at home if I was told at the time that I would get only 3mb with NTL... Thank god I didn't as I have Magnetin dublin and the latency isn't good for gaming.

So I'm dissapointed I only get a 3mb line instead of a 6mb but glad I didn't go down the line of getting Magnet at home.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,841 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Sniipe wrote:
    I would have gone for Meteor at home if I was told at the time that I would get only 3mb with NTL... Thank god I didn't as I have Magnetin dublin and the latency isn't good for gaming.

Well Metro is €42 for 3mb versus €30 with NTL and NTL should be more stable and reliable (no disrespect to Digiweb Metro, which is by far the best Wireless product, but wired BB is just more reliable).

NTL do offer 6m (which seems to be really 10m, but only guarantees 6m) for just €40 which is still cheaper then Metro 3m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 316 ✭✭d8player

exactly, thats my prob too...
    if they offered a reduction to the new 3 meg cost until upgraded then this would be ok

however as im paying 39.99 and get 3 meg and some people are paying 29.99 and getting 3meg ( or paying 39.99 and getting 6 meg ) and this may go on for several more weeks then im really not happy about the situation....

You signed up paying a particular price for a particular speed. The fact that you shortly will getting what is in effect a free upgrade should be enough. Do people on a mortgage for a fwe years complain that the build societies offer better initial rates to new customers. After a short time it all ends up the same. In any case you're no worse off service wise than you were before April 1st. I'm really not tryin to be smart about it but the best policy is to wait. Those 'lucky' enough to be on the new speeds seem to be having more problems that the rest of us. Personally I'm happy to wait.

• Advertisement

yes all the time
    i dont think its a correct analogy though

i understand what ur trying to say but i stick by my original point
    however ur right about thing... wait is all we can do with these companies

if your happy to pay more for less ( in relation to new customers ) thats up to you, you're a more tolerant man then me! However thats not alright with me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

given that in march i asked to be upgraded to the top package and was put onto 10mb, why don't you ask to be downgraded and you might still have the same speed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kin9pin

d8player wrote:
    You signed up paying a particular price for a particular speed. The fact that you shortly will getting what is in effect a free upgrade should be enough. Do people on a mortgage for a fwe years complain that the build societies offer better initial rates to new customers. After a short time it all ends up the same. In any case you're no worse off service wise than you were before April 1st. I'm really not tryin to be smart about it but the best policy is to wait. Those 'lucky' enough to be on the new speeds seem to be having more problems that the rest of us. Personally I'm happy to wait.

I'm afraid I don't agree.
    Banks/Building Societies advertising lower rates seperately from the standard variable rate. New and old customers know what they are getting and if there is a rate change it applies to all customers at the same time (unless they're fixed of course....or capped maybe or....anyway you get my point).
    NTL are now advertising Broadband Max as 6Mb for ALL customers so those still on 3Mb should now only be paying 29.99.
    I'm also still on 3Mb and don't really mind when I'm upgraded, but I have mailed NTL to request that they charge me at the lower rate until I am.
    I do still see your point of view of course, but if they can't supply 6Mb they should not advertise it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭Mikey23

I get your point guys, but this reply has sucked away any hope I had of a smooth automatic upgrade.

"At present, existing customers have not been automatically upgraded to the faster speeds. This is in progress at the moment and will be upgraded in the summer. I hope this answers your question."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Still no upgrade here.. I'm not too bothered at the moment - it's not affecting me yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭okcomputer

carrotcake wrote:
    given that in march i asked to be upgraded to the top package and was put onto 10mb, why don't you ask to be downgraded and you might still have the same speed?

this will work and you can upgrade againb at which point you will get the 10mb package , but............you need to leave a month between upgrades and downgrades so if you downgrade today you cant upgrade until 10 may

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 559 ✭✭✭ZygOte

speeds are still appalingly bad here tonight (stillorgan) not getting about 102Kbs on the 3mb (6mb) package. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭thund3rbird_

if your happy to pay more for less ( in relation to new customers ) thats up to you, you're a more tolerant man then me! However thats not alright with me

knew these type of comments reminded me of something
    not just singling our joebloggs - this is re all the "I'm with them soooooooo long and this is what they do to me...." posts

took a while, then I remembered ....

this

;)

did ntl not do the same in the UK? (yes I know they are now separate to ntl Ireland)
    started gradually migrating customers to 10Meg rather than several thousand in one go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

it's terribly slow this evening after i came back from work.. not even upgraded yet as i was told on friday, given 48 hrs timeframe thou... rang the cable support again and complained abt the slowdown... nuthing fix it, took the opportunity to ask abt the upgrade, the support lady told, it is noted on the system i was supposed to be upgraded today... but due to too floods of request from customers, there are delays... might be tomorrow...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

CS are telling me it will be "the summer" before I am upgraded. Surely advertising a service at a given price and not providing it is, at the very least, dodgy business practice?

Also, why are existing customers being punished for their loyalty? NTL :rolleyes:

Ive mailed them instructing them to lower the charge on my bill in line with their advertised products instead.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭okcomputer

CiaranC wrote:
    CS are telling me it will be "the summer" before I am upgraded. Surely advertising a service at a given price and not providing it is, at the very least, dodgy business practice?

Also, why are existing customers being punished for their loyalty? NTL :rolleyes:

Ive mailed them instructing them to lower the charge on my bill in line with their advertised products instead.

well offically May is the start of summer so thats in 2 and a half weeks if that makes anyone feel better

did ntl not do the same in the UK? (yes I know they are now separate to ntl Ireland)
    started gradually migrating customers to 10Meg rather than several thousand in one go

all well and good mate... and possibly not a bad way to do things
    but do it properly... communicate with your customers...
    let them know whats happening - dont use live customers as a network test - if they want to do this they should have a closed trial with invited customers
    before rolling out to one and all.

if some customers are going to be on a slower speed relative to others compensate them to keep good relations....

this is my main gripe - ntl are making a mess of the customer relations side of this rollout - and this is what annoys people ( like me ).

if ntl sent me a clear letter saying, for example "May 1st there will be an upgrade. As a good will gesture for April your BB is being charged at 29.99 for your 3 meg line" we'd be the happiest customer base in the country and never think about switching away. But they are not - they are advertising speeds and keeping the existing base in the dark - noone has a clear clue about whats going on

( interesting bible reference though :D )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

Do NTL offer a wireless option?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭mollser

this is my main gripe - ntl are making a mess of the customer relations side of this rollout - and this is what annoys people ( like me ).

if ntl sent me a clear letter saying, for example "May 1st there will be an upgrade. As a good will gesture for April your BB is being charged at 29.99 for your 3 meg line" we'd be the happiest customer base in the country and never think about switching away. But they are not - they are advertising speeds and keeping the existing base in the dark - noone has a clear clue about whats going on

( interesting bible reference though :D )

Not really, I'd say the vast vast majority of NTL broadband users (of which I'm sure don't read this thread) probably have no idea that an upgrade is imminent. If they issued a clear letter like the one above, then couldn't deliver within the time frame, then it would be a customer relations disaster. As it is, its only those in the know who seem to be getting irritated.

Oh, and new customers have it a month before you, so oooh, you've spent €10 more?? Oh no - disaster! :rolleyes: :p

I want me upgrade soon too, but I'm definitely not going to worry about it too much!

this is why this country is the way it is....:rolleyes:
    irish people are so used to being ripped off its ingrained

its no wonder companies get away with shoddy service like this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭mollser

this is why this country is the way it is....:rolleyes:
    irish people are so used to being ripped off its ingrained

its no wonder companies get away with shoddy service like this

presume thats tounge in cheek....

not biting...:p

god yeah, nothing personal:p

* in best Freddie Mercury voice *
    I just want to vent Spleen!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,290 ✭✭✭highdef

May is not the first day of summer. June 21st officially is and June 1st by meteorological standards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kin9pin

highdef wrote:
    May is not the first day of summer. June 21st officially is and June 1st by meteorological standards
    Please tell me you looked that up.......

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

highdef wrote:

June 21st is the Summer Solstice which is the longest day of the year and also called midsummer in Ireland. In the USA and Canada the Summer Solstice is regarded as the first day of summer. In Ireland, May 1st is regarded as the 1st day of Summer.

*talk about a thread going way off topic :)

Advertisement