Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official new NTL BB Speeds

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

* in best Freddie Mercury voice *
    I just want to vent Spleen!

That doesnt scan. Theres no 'just' in the original lyric.

"I want to vent Spleen!" works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 559 ✭✭✭ZygOte

[Rant]

ok , so customer support said i would be upgraded by today. im not, i can live with that. But now my connection is getting slower by the day , yesterday i was averaging about 90-100Kbs today im getting 35-45Kbs
    grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr usually its rock solid at 340Kbs

and nothing from ntl on ntlworld.ie to even say there is a problem (do they think it will go away if they pretend it doesnt exist?), some sort of notice of an issue would at least appease me , so that i know that they are even attempting to fix it. but no, nothing and as per usual then phone support is non existant.

does anyone from ntl look at these forums i wonder? do they know there are so many people upset and waiting (patiently and not so ;) )
    if there is can they explain any of this , anonymously if need be.

just give us some bloody answers.

[/Rant]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭okcomputer

LFCFan wrote:
    June 21st is the Summer Solstice which is the longest day of the year and also called midsummer in Ireland. In the USA and Canada the Summer Solstice is regarded as the first day of summer. In Ireland, May 1st is regarded as the 1st day of Summer.

*talk about a thread going way off topic :)

thanks I knew I was right :) its only slightly off topic, ntl: are saying the upgrades are in the summer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

why not get all mystical about mid summer?
    it probably will take druids and magic to get this right:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭Shigsy

I rang NTL last week and asked them why i hadn't been upgraded to 6mb yet, even though new customers who upgraded to the highest package are all receiving 6mb for the same price that im paying for 3mb!
    They said id be upgraded to 6mb on Monday just gone, of course this didnt happen and im still on 3mb :(
    Why do they bother picking days and times out of the air when they have no intentions of sticking to them? :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 mikemooney

wow!, I haven't checked this thread since I got upgraded on the spot last week. I can't believe the misery that some of you are experiencing. For the record this is what I did,

1. Rang the Sales line and said I wanted to get the 6mb connection.
    2. When asked for my account number I gave it and the guy sae that I already had broadband with them
    3. I replied saying I saw the new package on the site and wanted to get it hence my call.
    4. He said no problem let me see what I can do, I played dumb and said when did I think it would be done, he replied by saying that he'd just done it and was rebooting my modem.

Since the upgrade my HTTP transfers have been abysmal but whenever I use newsbin I can get the full 10 meg out of it.

mike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cdb

Carrotcake suggested the option of changing to a lower connection speed in a previous post if you are unhappy with the slow upgrade.

If my case is anything to go by I'd steer well clear of downgrading your bb package. I rang NTL sales to change my broadband max package (old 3Mb) to the standard package (old 2Mb) about three weeks ago. It was done on the spot and guess what? It immediately stopped working!! After countless calls (with an average wait of 25 minutes) to support, jumping through all the hoops and three home visits by NTL engineers (not to mention three new ntl250 modems) i'm still without broadband. Is it worth loosing your connection over a few seconds saved on the average download? A bird in the hand and all that. As for NTL... I thought they'd finally got their act together but it seems its just like the old days... Lovely :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭lensman

It was this day last week NTL told me I would be upgraded from 2 to 3mb in no more than 48hrs,...that was 168hrs ago....:( :( :mad: :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 oddbot

Needless to say I've been onto them nearly every day since last monday and been served the same "that will be done in 24 hours" rubbish. yesterday I was even promised a callback lol this was cause for amusement :D
    today was different though, today I was told "there is a problem with our system, we don't know what it is but it'll be fixed and when it is everyone will be upgraded." "Do you have any idea when this ""problem"" will be fixed?." I asked in a moment of reckless abandon. "no I haven't got a clue" they said. this cheered me up quite a bit, so much in fact that, when I met the wallet inspector later on in the day I gave him a tip for such an excellent service :rolleyes: .

:confused:

• Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

i got the same reply yesterday something wrong with there system no upgrades till next week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 906 ✭✭✭FuzzyWuzzyWazza

lensman wrote:
    It was this day last week NTL told me I would be upgraded from 2 to 3mb in no more than 48hrs,...that was 168hrs ago....:( :( :mad: :mad:

I got the same thing, but last wednesday. I rang and asked to be moved form standard BB (2MB) to BB MAX (3MB) the guy said the new package was going to be 6 MB without me saying anything, and he said I would be upgraded within 48 hours!!!:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

OK, I've read through 13 pages of the thread, and there's no mention of "official" upload speeds. Does anyone know what they are, and is there any link to official publication/website of the upload speeds?

EDIT: And bonus points for contention ratio details!

Ta

.cg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭Shigsy

512 up for top package isn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kin9pin

17/1 contention I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 906 ✭✭✭FuzzyWuzzyWazza

cgarvey wrote:
    OK, I've read through 13 pages of the thread, and there's no mention of "official" upload speeds. Does anyone know what they are, and is there any link to official publication/website of the upload speeds?

EDIT: And bonus points for contention ratio details!

Ta

.cg
    all the info is available here. There is no info on the contention ratio, but it was 17/1 before the upgrade, so it probably still is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

all the info is available here. There is no info on the contention ratio, but it was 17/1 before the upgrade, so it probably still is

Nothing on the upload either!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

upload is

6mb - 512kb
    3mb - 300kb

thats according to an ntl phone monkey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

I havent asked to be upgraded or anything like that.Im on the max package and now im gettting between 1.5 and 2 megs down,this is rediculouse!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

Pefect here in D15 the last 2 days !

It was down completely today for at least four hours and im pretty shure im not getting full speeds now.

As a matter of interest do you have to leave the modem plugged into teh mains all of the time or is it ok to unplugg it every night?

• Advertisement

It was down for 5 or 6 hour s againn today this is rediculous!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

It was down for 5 or 6 hour s againn today this is rediculous!!

maybe you have a wiring problem mate ! call em on Monday !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,778 ✭✭✭✭JPA

No, it was down for me too in waterford

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 CoolNitro

Has anyone in tallaght got the upgrade yet without calling them, im still on 3 mb which sucks seams as all the new people get upgradede first you would think people that have been connected to them for the last 2 years would get it dont first.

yeah i dont think its a wiring problem (at least not with any of the visible wires) because we already had a guy come out o look at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Mistmyr

CoolNitro wrote:
    Has anyone in tallaght got the upgrade yet without calling them, im still on 3 mb which sucks seams as all the new people get upgradede first you would think people that have been connected to them for the last 2 years would get it dont first.

Tallaght here

Called about the upgrade about 10 days ago, was told accont number would be passed onto whoever and upgrade would take 2 - 3 days. 10 days later and still nothing...

Connecion has been solid at 3m though so im not t woried yet..

Misty

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Paulo_B

CoolNitro wrote:

Im in Tallaght,rang in two weeks ago about the upgrade and got it done over the phone.Before the upgrade i had a constant 2.5mb speed but now its all over the place.Some days i have 1mb others 4m but never any more than this.I think they are working on the Tallaght exchange and i shoud'nt of been upgrade so soon.To be honest i would rather have been not upgraded until all was sorted out.

NTL was down again today i think from 11am-6pm. How are people in waterford finding their NTL connection i figure if there is a few of us e should all complain in the same half hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭Spud

I live in Waterford and my NTL hasnt being down in weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭Vadrefjorde

In Waterford also and it's been rock solid since day one.

Advertisement