Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official new NTL BB Speeds

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

tbh sounds like your wiring is screwed christophicus. This board would be flooded with people complaining if it was as bad as you're saying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

tbh sounds like your wiring is screwed christophicus. This board would be flooded with people complaining if it was as bad as you're saying.

I've told him to get an engineer out again ! does sound like a wriring problem!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

it's april 17th.. after so many calls, my 48-hrs so-called upgrade hv gone lapsed so many times!... where's me upgrade! and this 3 meg line has been dragging slow since last week! :mad:

mart

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 CoolNitro

hay thx for the info I think i will wait and see what happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

NTL was down again today i think from 11am-6pm. How are people in waterford finding their NTL connection i figure if there is a few of us e should all complain in the same half hour.

Mine is spot on. Are you using a wireless router? Which part of the city are you in? Are your sync and ready lights on?:confused:

• Advertisement

yeah i dont think its a wiring problem (at least not with any of the visible wires) because we already had a guy come out o look at it.

From NTL?:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Drapper wrote:
    I've told him to get an engineer out again ! does sound like a wriring problem!

Do you mean awiring problem in/around the house or from the wall to the pc?
    fREDDIE59 wrote:
    Originally Posted by christophicus
    yeah i dont think its a wiring problem (at least not with any of the visible wires) because we already had a guy come out o look at it.

From NTL? [/QUOTE]

I assume he was from NTL they were the ones that sent a guy out.

No im not using a wireless router.Im in Ardkeen. The modem will sync,then the ready light will begin to flash for a while,That stops and the sync flashes again for a while and the process repeats itself from about 10 in the morning to 6 in the evening.Its been happening for the last four days at least now!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 jtroy

I am in Waterford and my NTL BB has been down since last Wednesday. Contacted NTL on Friday and they can't get someone out until next Thursday.

After speaking with someone living in the same place they told me they saw the NTL vans out on the street working on out on the street on the Wednesday it went so may be related!

Yeah possibly,im going to ring them tomorrow at about 4.30 and see if i can get any answers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,778 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Hey christophicus,
    I'm in Ardkeen too and I have NTL. It has been down a couple of times over the last week. So it's not your wiring, it's just something in the area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

My normally rock solid 3mb has gone anywhere from 512kbps to 2mbps

check the modem POWER LEVELS from the root, are they strong enough? do they fall at peak time? ask them this. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,328 ✭✭✭✭Tony

I'm im Tallaght and i've not heard of anyone being upgraded around here so far.
    CoolNitro wrote:
    Has anyone in tallaght got the upgrade yet without calling them, im still on 3 mb which sucks seams as all the new people get upgradede first you would think people that have been connected to them for the last 2 years would get it dont first.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,872 ✭✭✭ozmo

Drapper wrote:
    check the modem POWER LEVELS from the root, are they strong enough? do they fall at peak time? ask them this. ;)

Can you post up some good Values to check against, of the ntl box and modem please - my modem fine (not yet upgraded), but tv gone to ...
    ta.

From my modem:
    Downstream Receive Power Level : -16.3 dBmV
    Downstream SNR : 32.6 dB
    Upstream transmit Power Level : 55.5 dBmV

“Roll it back”

ozmo wrote:
    Can you post up some good Values to check against, of the ntl box and modem please - my modem fine (not yet upgraded), but tv gone to ...
    ta.

From my modem:
    Downstream Receive Power Level : -16.3 dBmV
    Downstream SNR : 32.6 dB
    Upstream transmit Power Level : 55.5 dBmV

some reading for you

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/signal.html#symps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

had my line recently checked and the engineer said that this is the value to look for

"Downstream SNR"

He said 38 is about the max it could go in ideal situation. 34-36 he described as excellent

And he also said if it was about 26db youd experience problems.

So id guess at 32.6 your nearer the decent signal end of the scale ( if you take 34 being excellent )

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

He said 38 is about the max it could go in ideal situation.

Mine is 39.1db :)

How do i go about checking this ^^^

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

How do i go about checking this ^^^
    http://192.168.100.1/CmDnstream.asp

Username: root
    Password: root

Thanks mine is 38.5 bd ,is that near perfect?

• Advertisement

thats a crystal clear signal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

When are we being upgraded?

From NTL?
    I assume he was from NTL they were the ones that sent a guy out.

No im not using a wireless router.Im in Ardkeen. The modem will sync,then the ready light will begin to flash for a while,That stops and the sync flashes again for a while and the process repeats itself from about 10 in the morning to 6 in the evening.Its been happening for the last four days at least now!!!!

I'm in the upper city. Only ever had a problem once (ready light wouldn't stop flashing - sync permanently on). Engineer said it was low signal level (due to fault on street). Found fault in a few minutes and no problems since. It had been a little erratic before that but no problems since. When he called I asked him did it give much trouble. He said it didn't, but any that it did give was usually in the home - I was the exception!:D

Hope that helps.:)

JPA wrote:
    Hey christophicus,
    I'm in Ardkeen too and I have NTL. It has been down a couple of times over the last week. So it's not your wiring, it's just something in the area.

Just checked with my brother-in-law in Ballinakill - no probs there.:)

well ive had no problems with it today,hopefully i will never have a problem again!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭Vadrefjorde

I knew i was tempting fate when i posted here that mine has been rock solid :p
    Last night it went to sh*te, going from a normal steady 2.95Mb to around 700Kb. SNR was around 38 throughout.
    BTW has anybody heard of ANYONE actually being upgraded yet??
    I rang again yesterday to query if i was going to be paying €39.99 for a €29.99 service.
    I don't think NTL's argument that i'm on the broadband max stands up too well. They are saying that technically i'm on the broadband max package as i'm on the list of people to be upgraded, so therefore i'm still a broadband max customer. I pointed out that i've been on that list for 2 weeks now which is a bit longer than the 48 hours i was told :mad: :mad:
    If this is going to go on for another few weeks i wonder if it's worth while lodging a complaint.
    Also the guy on the phone tried to persuade me that the NTL website had no mention of prices or 6Mb on it, eventually i had to give him the URL :eek: :eek:

I knew i was tempting fate when i posted here that mine has been rock solid :p
    Last night it went to sh*te, going from a normal steady 2.95Mb to around 700Kb. SNR was around 38 throughout.
    BTW has anybody heard of ANYONE actually being upgraded yet??
    :eek:

me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Drapper wrote:
    me
    me too, as of right now:)
    Maximum Downstream Data Rate : 10240000
    Maximum Upstream Data Rate : 512000

the **** thing is the upgrade took place the morning after NTL warn me about my excessive usage:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 906 ✭✭✭FuzzyWuzzyWazza

"Downstream SNR"

He said 38 is about the max it could go in ideal situation. 34-36 he described as excellent

And he also said if it was about 26db youd experience problems.

So id guess at 32.6 your nearer the decent signal end of the scale ( if you take 34 being excellent )

kewl my Downstream SNR is 33.9 :)

• Advertisement

tman wrote:
    me too, as of right now:)
    Maximum Downstream Data Rate : 10240000
    Maximum Upstream Data Rate : 512000

the **** thing is the upgrade took place the morning after NTL warn me about my excessive usage:p

did you ask to be upgraded and if so how long ago as im waiting over 2 weeks myself having been promised the 48 hour turnaround a few times

Advertisement