Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official new NTL BB Speeds

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

did you ask to be upgraded and if so how long ago as im waiting over 2 weeks myself having been promised the 48 hour turnaround a few times
    i rang them almost 2 weeks ago and was given the "48 hours" speil
    sent a ratty email last night, complaining about being told one thing, and then not being informed that it wasn't going to happen (pretty much called them liars without actually using that word:p )
    turned on my interweb this morning and after a couple of disconnects it was running at the new speeds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭shltter

tman wrote:
    sent a ratty email last night, complaining about being told one thing, and then not being informed that it wasn't going to happen (pretty much called them liars without actually using that word:p )
    turned on my interweb this morning and after a couple of disconnects it was running at the new speeds.

Once they get around to reading your ratty email no doubt you will be bumped back to the old speed :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

tman wrote:

nice to hear they're upgrading galway users...
    so do you think it was the ratty email or the two weeks:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

ratty email:)
    Thank you for your email. Please accept our apologies for the delay in which you have experienced in trying to have the Broadband Service upgraded to the 6MB Service.

I can advise as of this morning that the Broadband Service has been upgraded to the 6MB Service.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

whats the speeds like?
    Can't be too pushed meself at the mo to go bother ringing them about it, but don't want to be paying the 39.99 for the package im not receiving at the mo, and been really heavily downloading the last few days.. done 25 gigs the past 3/4 wouldn't mind seeing the extra speed at the mo.. since christmas until a few days ago only did about 3/4 gigs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

My normally rock solid 3mb has gone anywhere from 512kbps to 2mbps

I tell a lie! My wireless laptop running an 54mbps says 2mb connection but my wired desktop machine says the old reliable 3mb. Mut be that xbox in the way.

might be an idea to recheck with ntl for anyone waiting to be upgraded.
    I mailed last night as Im waiting about 2 weeks and i got a mail back saying according to NTL records we were already upgraded.... which is rubbish

they are going to sort it out, apparently

so its possible NTL think some of you are upgraded and it hasnt been done and if you dont check it never will be

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 raz6

Finally, after about two and a half weeks and two phonecalls i have been upgraded. Looks like it was worth the wait as my speeds are pretty impressive.... 1.15 down from heanet (http) and upload of 490 from irishisptest. This was about a half an hour ago so not exactly peak time but not the middle of the night either. I will try it this evening and post the results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

raz6... where r u at? upgraded today??

the delay is really bugging me after 3 weeks... now i'm at my effort to bug the support line... rang again just now... another new reason came up saying that "the system in use to install new users and upgrade current users is not running well.. affecting many this week..." but after reading your post, since you hv been upgraded today... that's gonna be just plain reason to keep me quiet... well... i'll make another call tomorrow.... and another until get upgraded...

mart

I'm in knocklyon. Just tested there, and speeds have gone down signifnicantly, but i'm still sustaining about 800 kb/s down from heanet....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,894 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

I'm not too impressed with the upgrade, two issues, since the upgrade my Xbox live on the 360 keeps stalling and bringing down the modem (i.e. I have to reset it), this issue is been seen by others here and in the UK and the second issue is using my laptop to download mails from work it also crashes and the modem has to be reset, now I didn't have these issues on 3mb. I'm just prayin that they sort it out :(

Snake ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

I was on the 2meg package,got email today to say I was upgraded as from this afteroon to 3meg.Done a test on on irishisp and im below my normal 2meg now.Meh!

Edit: But saying that the config in my modem suggest im on the 3meg now...

as mentioned many times here dont do an irishisptest

download an iso from heanet. I have not been upgraded yet but before all this started irishisptest always gave me 2.95meg

Now its all over the place but downloads from heanet etc still hit the same speed

Mind you downloads from fileshack have gone to pot lately, anyone else notice this - last 6 weeks are brutal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 559 ✭✭✭ZygOte

after two snotty email sent to them i got a mail yesterday saying i had been upgraded, went home last night only to find my connection running at 60Kbps, lost the rag but decided to hold off on another email, checked again this morning, low and behold downloaded from heanet at 1100Kbps!!!! at long last. looks like snotty emails are the way to get things done.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Tathlarien

My upgrade still hasn't taken place, been with them about 2 years now maybe, still on 3 meg and should be on 6. Can someone tell me the email address they used to complain about not recieving an upgrade yet? The tech support phone number on their sites is actually the number for BT Internet services, who said NTL are giving out the wrong numbers....figures.

Tathlarien wrote:
    My upgrade still hasn't taken place, been with them about 2 years now maybe, still on 3 meg and should be on 6. Can someone tell me the email address they used to complain about not recieving an upgrade yet? The tech support phone number on their sites is actually the number for BT Internet services, who said NTL are giving out the wrong numbers....figures.

Its not the wrong number, you are just reading it wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭donal.hunt

you're dialling 1800 924 924. you should dial 1800 924 424. i did the same thing this morning...

i was mailed this morning and told that something has gone wrong if i havent got my upgrade as their internal records show its been done...

the person from CS tried to fob me off to contact the tech support myself to get it sorted!

I sent off a polite but firm message saying whats the role of support if they cant support me. I asked that this person take responsibilty for the support case and contact the tech dept themselves. I said there was no way i was waiting on the hold for an hour to get through to tech support only to have to explain the whole story to someone different.

And this was to sort out an NTL problem:rolleyes: sheesh

anyway they got back and said they were in touch with tech support and explained the problem and it would be sorted in the next day or 2....

we shall see... ( i been told this before )

but it seems its not going very smoothly inside in NTL and they dont even seem to be able to tell who has been upgraded ( properly ) and who hasnt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 217 ✭✭Callan

Got upgraded today

Was on 2MB now 3MB

I didn't request to be upgraded

download8hz.th.jpg

irishisp4ez.th.jpg

configuration7wl.th.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Tathlarien

donal.hunt wrote:
    you're dialling 1800 924 924. you should dial 1800 924 424. i did the same thing this morning...

Oops, you're right. Well I finally got through to someone (after waiting about 40 mins on hold) and they said they'd put through the request for the upgrade for me, so hopefully sometime next week I'll have it.

They also told me that at the moment, the upgrades will *not* be done automatically, and they're waiting for the people who really want it to get in contact with them and request it first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Who is the best to tacklefor the upgrade - sales or BB support? I'mtempted to change to magnet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭40coats

I'm not too impressed with the upgrade, two issues, since the upgrade my Xbox live on the 360 keeps stalling and bringing down the modem (i.e. I have to reset it), this issue is been seen by others here and in the UK and the second issue is using my laptop to download mails from work it also crashes and the modem has to be reset, now I didn't have these issues on 3mb. I'm just prayin that they sort it out :(

Snake ;)
    I posted the below in the Xbox folder, sounds like the same issue. What modem model have you?:
    40coats wrote:
    I eventually got NTL to give me a new modem (the 250 model), and everything is fine again now (still quite slow though). They really weren't keen on giving me a newer model as all their tools were showing my modem as working perfectly. My original modem was the 120 and needed a firmware update to support the new speeds, so i figure they have a problem with thier firmware or i just had a dodgy one combined with some very coincidental timing. Anyway, if anyone has one of the old modem models and looses the ability to download from marketplace after upgrading this could be your solution, but you'lll need to push the issue yourself as NTL will not accept there is a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 okgnew

Got my new NTL connection today in Dublin 6w area.
    3 Mbit and NTL digital TV.
    Internet is working perfectly and very fast.
    Cable modem model - NTL 250.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭Vadrefjorde

Been spending weeks ringing with all sorts of promises being made regarding this upgrade. Finally sent and email at 12:00 today (snotty of course) and hey presto upgraded at 2pm with an email informing of same. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

Been spending weeks ringing with all sorts of promises being made regarding this upgrade. Finally sent and email at 12:00 today (snotty of course) and hey presto upgraded at 2pm with an email informing of same. :D

Hi

can you send a copy so I can use as guidance for mine.

Thanks

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Rang 3 weeks ago to be upgraded from 3mb to 6mb, was told it would be done in 48 hrs.

Still no upgrade today, so I rang them and was told existing customers will not be upgraded until next week, and I would receive a text message when it was done.

When I told them I'd been told 3 weeks ago it would be done in 48 hrs, they said that was 'not true'.

So, I'm currently paying 39.99 for something everyone else is paying 29.99 for.

Send 'em an email Silverfish!!!

I had all that crap over the last 3 weeks as well. Not to mention the hours i've spent listening to that stupid message on hold. Some of my favourite promises were:
    "It's being done as we speak"
    "What upgrade?"
    "48 Hours" I got loads of those along with:
    "You're moved to the top of the list"
    "We promise we'll do it now and ring you" (3 of those)
    "The system is broken for upgrading customers"
    In the end i followed the advice of this thread and sent them an email...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Can you let me know what you said?

And did you send the email to the customer support address??

Thanks

Yep I sent the email to customer care and i've sent you the text of the email.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Ahhh, sweet 10meg. :D

Upgraded today, sent a ratty mail on Friday.

Advertisement