Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official new NTL BB Speeds

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

Phone.Book wrote:
    Is this the same contact that told you there would be a 10MB upgrade after Xmass?

Yes. But this time its official. Call and see. Also, there was too much issues with 10mb in the uk, so irekand did not follow suite, better to have 6meg that works then 10meg that does not

mickger wrote:
    I'm getting mine installed this morning will i get the new speeds? Is there anyone who is a "New" customer on the new speeds yet?

seek and you shall find...... ASk them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Phone.Book

Drapper wrote:
    Yes. But this time its official. Call and see. Also, there was too much issues with 10mb in the uk, so irekand did not follow suite, better to have 6meg that works then 10meg that does not

Good stuff, hopefully MickGer can post up some speed tests when he gets hooked up! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

Phone.Book wrote:
    Good stuff, hopefully MickGer can post up some speed tests when he gets hooked up! :D

No Problems i will do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭Vadrefjorde

I rang NTL last week and told them i wanted to terminate my contract early, TV and broadband. I then went through the usual transferred call 10 times with everyone asking me the same questions. I eventually ended up talking to someone normal who seemed to know what was happening in their company.
    I told them i'm off to Metro as it's 8 Meg and i heard NTL are only upgrading to 6 Meg. The reply was that 6 Meg was the stated speed but "don't be surprised if you get up to 10 when you are upgraded".
    I then said that's a bit of a long shot, if you're advertising 6 then i can only expect 6, and anyway i heard it's not going to be until April. Bloke told me that all work will be completed by the 1st of April but upgrades will commence before that, depending where you live.
    I'm pretty sure this person knew what they were talking about, i convinced them i was off and only then did i get to talk to somebody sensible who had a clue what was going on. Prior to that i got varying response ranging from "there isn't going to be any upgrade" "to we might be upgrading in late June".
    The info i got ties in with what's already been posted in this thread and what i read on Boards last week before i rang them. Just have to wait and see now :)

• Advertisement

Phone.Book wrote:

Eventually the guys came to install and looks like its a 6 meg connection but the speeds are very erratic. Got the wireless router which was a very nice Netgear one. Will have to do more testing but see attached speed test result:)

mickger wrote:
    Eventually the guys came to install and looks like its a 6 meg connection but the speeds are very erratic. Got the wireless router which was a very nice Netgear one. Will have to do more testing but see attached speed test result:)

say sorry ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭kintaro

i just rang ntl myself,

told them i was on the max package but heard that there was a 6mg line, she told me that she couldnt upgrade me until april first, everyone will automatically be upgraded but said depending on location, the line speed could be 10!

does this sound right, i mean , not about the upgrade but about location and speed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

could be judging by the screen shot attached by mickger
    7.3 meg he seems to be getting

edit: actually having thought about it and read through the ntlhell uk forum this could be the same upgrade as the uk got but they are being clever here and calling it 6meg.

a lot of people were getting 7-8meg and a few were disappointed to get 5-6.

naturally people expecting a 10meg are disappointed with this...

However call it a 6 meg upgrade and suddenly it looks a whole lot better....
    could be the strategy here...

just my 2c

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

mickger wrote:

wow that's nice, but your upload kinda sucks :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

mickger wrote:

Damn.how did you get the wireless router?Do you have a laptop?When we got it installed the technician said that you have to ask for the router when you prder and that they will only give you one if you have a laptop.

CyberGhost wrote:
    wow that's nice, but your upload kinda sucks :confused:

On further testing that result was a fluke. Speeds are extremely erratic but overall are more like 1meg speeds than 6meg. Downloads from Easynews max out at 170kB/sec. I was led to believe that Ntl was the best broadband out there but im very disapointed with the service. Support will be getting a call tomorrow:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

mickger,

Could you post a screen grab of your stats screen on the NTL equipment?

zuma wrote:
    mickger,

Could you post a screen grab of your stats screen on the NTL equipment?

How do i get the stats screen of the modem? I know how to do it with the Netgear router.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,837 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

mickger wrote:
    On further testing that result was a fluke. Speeds are extremely erratic but overall are more like 1meg speeds than 6meg. Downloads from Easynews max out at 170kB/sec. I was led to believe that Ntl was the best broadband out there but im very disapointed with the service. Support will be getting a call tomorrow:mad:

That isn't a good test, you are probably being limited by the speed of the server.

Instead run a speed test here (you will need to register):
    http://www.irishisptest.com/login.php?id=%2Fmyspeed.php

And separately download this file for a few minutes (it is a Linux ISO image, you can cancel the download after a few minutes and delete the file):
    ftp://ftp.heanet.ie/mirrors/ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/ftp.suse.com/suse/i386/10.0/iso/SUSE-10.0-LiveDVD.iso

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

mickger wrote:
    How do i get the stats screen of the modem? I know how to do it with the Netgear router.
    http://192.168.100.1/CmOpConfig.asp user/pass is root/root. 'Maximum Downstream Data Rate' and 'Maximum Upstream Data Rate' is what to look out for

bk wrote:
    That isn't a good test, you are probably being limited by the speed of the server.

Instead run a speed test here (you will need to register):
    http://www.irishisptest.com/login.php?id=%2Fmyspeed.php

And separately download this file for a few minutes (it is a Linux ISO image, you can cancel the download after a few minutes and delete the file):
    ftp://ftp.heanet.ie/mirrors/ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/ftp.suse.com/suse/i386/10.0/iso/SUSE-10.0-LiveDVD.iso

I have Digiweb Metro also and get 350kB/sec always. The server is not limiting the speed.
    I got 80kB/sec downloading the file from Heanet.
    With regards the stats from the modem,Upstream Symbol Rate was 2560 Ksym/sec and Downstream 6952 Ksym/sec, dont think thats the speeds but thats all i can see in the stats of the modem that looks like it could be a speed.
    Got 2.29megs down and 456kbps up on the irishisptest.

think your on the wrong page of the modem
    check http://192.168.100.1/CmOpConfig.asp

you should see something like

Cable Modem Operation Configuration
    Network Access : Allowed
    Maximum Downstream Data Rate : 3072000
    Maximum Upstream Data Rate : 300000
    Maximum Upstream Channel Burst : 1600
    Maximum Number of CPEs : 1
    Modem Capability : Concatenation Enabled, Fragametation Enabled, PHS Disabled

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

bk wrote:

Definitely not being limited by Easynews, they've got something like 10Gbps of connectivity and they max out 10mb easily.

mickger wrote:

post up the NTL router settings bud!

• Advertisement

think your on the wrong page of the modem
    check http://192.168.100.1/CmOpConfig.asp

you should see something like

Cable Modem Operation Configuration
    Network Access : Allowed
    Maximum Downstream Data Rate : 3072000
    Maximum Upstream Data Rate : 300000
    Maximum Upstream Channel Burst : 1600
    Maximum Number of CPEs : 1
    Modem Capability : Concatenation Enabled, Fragametation Enabled, PHS Disabled

Ok, Max Downstream Data Rate: 10240000
    Max Upstream Data Rate :512000

mickger wrote:
    Ok, Max Downstream Data Rate: 10240000
    Max Upstream Data Rate :512000

Awesome.

I had the same feeling that Joebloggs4817 has, and I still do.

mickger wrote:
    Not sure if its the correct page but here goes.

Take that down...

open internet explorer, type in the address bar: 192.168.100.1

a page will open, on the left hand side click on "Login" type root as both password and username.

when you are in on the left hand side again find "Operation Config." click on it, take a screenshot and post that.

Awesome.

I had the same feeling that Joebloggs4817 has, and I still do.

thats the same as the uk alright,
    bit silly calling it 6 meg and reporting 10 in the modem... then again your average user ( non boards reader anyway ) prob wont look

but its likely theyll guarentee a min of 6 and call any more a bonus

CyberGhost wrote:
    Take that down...

open internet explorer, type in the address bar: 192.168.100.1

a page will open, on the left hand side click on "Login" type root as both password and username.

when you are in on the left hand side again find "Operation Config." click on it, take a screenshot and post that.

Here it is. Speeds are still crap by the way:mad:

mickger wrote:
    Here it is. Speeds are still crap by the way:mad:

Thanks Mick,

Well seems like ntl UK will be repeated in Ireland too :/

great:rolleyes:
    still early days we prob need to give it a few weeks to settle down.

great:rolleyes:
    still early days we prob need to give it a few weeks to settle down.

Don't get too excited yet guys,There are lots of problems to iron out.This is far from a stable connection,Its all over the gaffe.Hope they sort it soon.

just had a check on the uk situation - 4 months in and people are still having cronic problems

"solution" for some is to get dropped back to the middle package, the problems seem to be affecting the 10 megs the worst

im dreading this upgrade!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Phone.Book

Thanks mickger for the info and screenshots.

Looks like we may be better off going went out an upgrade for the moment! :p

Advertisement