Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official new NTL BB Speeds

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

me too just got it done today.. took a fair few calls and emails but we got there....

speeds are a bit erratic but page browsing seems the same so at least that hasnt been affected which i was a little concerned about as people had mentioned slow http transfers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

here it goes the e-mail I sent out last week:
    Hi

My account no is XXXXXXXX.

I am currently a broadband max user @ 3Mbps speed. As at 1 April 2006, your company announced the upgrade to 6Mbps should take place. However until today I have not yet been upgraded. I made many calls to your support/account departments to query this since early April. And so far I have been given many excuses and to this date I don't see this is promising any more.

To my knowledge, I have been an outstanding customer for many years. No delays in account payment and I have been subscribing to your extensive packages.

Have heard enough of people I know get upgraded earlier including new customers. Why do I have to wait for long and still paying the same? To make it worse, the broadband service is dragging slow these few days.

I would really appreciate if you could do something to sort out those issues.

Kind regards

And this is the reply I got today :
    Thank you for your e-mail,

We currently have a backlog of up-grades to go through at the moment, we are trying our best to get through all of these asap. At the moment we are experiencing issued with the registration of the modems so this is holding this up.

Please bare with us, i have sent this onto both Managers to look at in the relevant Department that will be doing the up-grade.

If you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact us on 1800 321 321 or once again e-mail us on customer.support@ntl.ie

Please bare................................................................. :mad:

And, IFSC must be too rural to be upgraded sooner than other part of the country.

Mart

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Mart, you asked. I demanded. ;)

paulm17781 wrote:
    Mart, you asked. I demanded. ;)

Soon, I'll be demanding too... credit for service that I was billed but never in place. Anway, direct debit went through today from my bank account... I wish I could hold on the payment... and shouted "please bare until i'm 100% happy with your services"....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 jakeyb

mart_max wrote:
    Soon, I'll be demanding too... credit for service that I was billed but never in place. Anway, direct debit went through today from my bank account... I wish I could hold on the payment... and shouted "please bare until i'm 100% happy with your services"....

Got mine upgraded yesterday and since then the speed has been up and down, but my Blueface VOIP seems to have settled a bit

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kin9pin

I don't believe it!!! Sent my 3rd ratty email from work today, got an answer back half hour later saying "As of this morning you have been upgraded to 6Mb....".
    Guess what, I'm still on 3Mb, the lying *******
    Oh, I have power cycled if that makes any difference at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

Called about 5 times, last time yesterday about 5:00 they said that no-one answered the phone in the department but they will contact them today and upgrade me.

Got home today and I was upgraded. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 ac00785

nava wrote:
    Called about 5 times, last time yesterday about 5:00 they said that no-one answered the phone in the department but they will contact them today and upgrade me.

Got home today and I was upgraded. :D

I was upgraded last week to 6Mb; only prob now is that I seem to be losing alot of bandwidth through my wireless router (Belkin). I connected directly to my router last weekend and downloaded an iso from Heanet. Very surprised to get a steady download rate of 1Mb/s. Would keep it connected directly but I only use a laptop and seems pointless. Any suggestions? Disable Antivirus/Firewall but still no difference. Any ideas appreciated. Cheers!

finally, the modem is upgraded as per the config page :
    Maximum Downstream Data Rate : 10240000 bps
    Maximum Upstream Data Rate : 512000 bps

well, tested a dload from heanet ftp, nuthing faster than 280KB/s.
    looks like it is on for 10Mbps...
    but not even matched a fully effective 3Mpbs line...

mart

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Ok someone tell me how people are getting upgraded to 10meg,I understand those who were on 3meg got upgraded to 6meg.I was on 2meg and now I was upgraded to 3meg....

So how can you get 10meg upgrade,or have I been upgraded to 3meg mistakenly instead of 6meg?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,040 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

If you are on 3mb now after the upgrade, you are indeed on the correct speed. Those of us on here who keep referring to this "10meg" speed are all on the 6meg package, which was the old 3meg. The max package.

Ntl are only offering 4 speeds at present.

1meg for €19.99
    2meg for €24.99
    3meg for €29.99 currently speeds of between 3 and 5meg are been reported
    6meg for €39.99 currently speeds of between 6 and 10meg are been reported

Hope this clears it up for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

mart_max wrote:
    finally, the modem is upgraded as per the config page :
    well, tested a dload from heanet ftp, nuthing faster than 280KB/s.
    looks like it is on for 10Mbps...
    but not even matched a fully effective 3Mpbs line...
    mart

Cables must be bad quality in your area maybe ?

My speeds have gotten erratic too though, and I'm on the 3 meg package with no upgrade at all. Used to get rock solid 361k/s off NTL's news server, now it's bouncing all over the place, averaging about 200k. Their network must be feeling the strain of the upgrade ?

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Jonnie_Onion

Also suffering abysmal transfers after supposed upgrade this afternoon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,872 ✭✭✭ozmo

Also suffering abysmal transfers after supposed upgrade this afternoon.

I just got upgraded to 6meg - yay! :)

Modem reports max 10meg now possible.

Maximum Downstream Data Rate : 10240000
    Maximum Upstream Data Rate : 512000

But its actually slower than it was yesterday. boo :(
    Very irratic mostly 1meg with 2 to 4 meg spikes from benchmark tools -
    tried downloading latest ati drivers(very fast site) with IE showing 300kbytes/s.
    Ill give it a while to settle, others here have reported speeds increase a while after upgrades...

Upstream has dramatically improved blueface though.

“Roll it back”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

I've just checked and I've been upgraded to 10Mb/512K

I hadn't asked to be processed quickly so they must be making some real progress at last.

I've only been on boards so far this evening so the internet seems to be piss poor slow anyway :D

Edit: I'm downloading from ftp.heanet.ie at about 160KB/s :(

I'll give it a day or 2 to settle down. Not that it really matters to me as I don't download a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

I suspect, that my connection is now slower. It is solid so that is what matters really. None the less I would like my 10meg to be faster than 1 meg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭Vadrefjorde

My speeds were very erratic for the first day since the upgrade but seem to have settled down now. FTP heanet is only managing 170 Kb/s. HTTP transfers are slwoer than before (3Meg). Irish ISP was giving crap results first day but seems to be giving around 7.4Meg download every test now. NTL's newsserver downloads are around 1150Kb/s.
    Have to say though NTL are probably still only fine tuning the network so i'm sure it'll be as rock solid as usual soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

if we have already been given the new little black modem does that mean someone requested the upgrade in my house? if so.... I want my upgrade!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭shltter

Aquos76 wrote:

3meg for €29.99 currently speeds of between 3 and 5meg are been reported

The modem setting for the 3meg package is for a maximum 3meg unlike the 6meg which is for a maximum 10meg so it is unlikely that anyone on the new 3meg is getting anything higher than 3meg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

I wonder have NTL increased the contention ratio on those new packages? Might explain the lower speeds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

all over the place ! but the pings are still perfect! give ti a few days lads!

mine was upgraded monday and it was muck the last two evenings - all over the place - downloading from heanet could swing from 40-400kb with the occasianal jump to 500kb

happened to leave the pc on last night as it was running a few jobs and when i went to switch it off before work i thought id try an iso from heanet and it was seriously quick
    1.16meg a second flat - i went to brush my teeth and came back and over 200 meg had been downloaded :) thats seriously fast....

i think its in the evenings it gets painfully slow as its so busy...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

Apologies if this has been answered above somewhere (it is a long thread after all). Have had NTL 3meg package for over a month. Have only recently started testing it with 'myspeed'. I have yet to get more than 1.3meg down. Is there a simple explanation or is it what one should expect?...:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ro2

I think the reason there's a problem with heanet is the routing is arseways. If the DNS is correct, it's going INEX -> NTL Dublin -> NTL UK -> NTL Dublin.

Tracing the route to cpc1-tall4-6-0-cust1.dbln.cable.ntl.com (82.22.216.1)

1 inex-gw1.router.ntli.net (193.242.111.22) [AS 2128] 4 msec 0 msec 4 msec
    2 dbln-bb-b-so-000-0.inet.ntl.com (213.105.174.93) [AS 5089] 0 msec 4 msec 0 msec
    3 man-bb-b-so-500-0.inet.ntl.com (213.105.174.45) [AS 5089] 8 msec 4 msec 4 msec
    4 man-bb-a-ae0-0.inet.ntl.com (62.253.187.177) [AS 5089] 4 msec 8 msec 4 msec
    5 lee-bb-b-so-700-0.inet.ntl.com (62.253.185.194) [AS 5089] 8 msec 4 msec 8 msec
    6 ren-bb-a-so-000-0.inet.ntl.com (62.253.185.161) [AS 5089] 8 msec 8 msec 12 msec
    7 ren-bb-b-ae0-0.inet.ntl.com (62.253.185.186) [AS 5089] 8 msec 8 msec 8 msec
    8 dbln-bb-a-so-700-0.inet.ntl.com (213.105.174.42) [AS 5089] 12 msec 24 msec 8 msec
    9 dbln-t2core-a-ae1-0.inet.ntl.com (213.105.174.54) [AS 5089] 8 msec 8 msec 8 msec
    10 dbln-cam-2a-ge01.inet.ntl.com (82.9.145.22) [AS 5089] 12 msec 12 msec 8 msec
    11 dbln-tall-ubr-4-ge01.inet.ntl.com (82.9.148.38) [AS 5089] 12 msec 12 msec 8 msec
    12 * * *
    13 * * *

Leslie91 wrote:
    Apologies if this has been answered above somewhere (it is a long thread after all). Have had NTL 3meg package for over a month. Have only recently started testing it with 'myspeed'. I have yet to get more than 1.3meg down. Is there a simple explanation or is it what one should expect?...:mad:

1.3Mb down is FAST. A 3Mb link would typically give you about 370Kb down.
    Look at joebloggs post, he says that he got 1.16Mb down which equates roughly to a 10Mb connection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

Well, my newly upgraded service was able to download at 960KB/s at 01:30 this morning and again at 08:30. :D

Hope it stays like that now!
    kin9pin wrote:
    1.3Mb down is FAST. A 3Mb link would typically give you about 370Kb down.
    Look at joebloggs post, he says that he got 1.16Mb down which equates roughly to a 10Mb connection.

You need to get your cases right. Unless you actually mean that 1.16 = 10 !

BendiBus wrote:
    Well, my newly upgraded service was able to download at 960KB/s at 01:30 this morning and again at 08:30. :D

Hope it stays like that now!

You need to get your cases right. Unless you actually mean that 1.16 = 10 !

Note the word "roughly". I didn't want to go into the whoe bits vs bytes vs capital b's etc. etc. etc. argument again....there are enough threads on the subject.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

The subject needs to be brought up if you make a post trying to explain something to someone, in a way which will only confuse them more since you refuse to hold down shift occasionally when typing B for Bytes.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

Finally upgraded today after a few emails. Getting around 7 megs on irishisptest :)

• Advertisement

definitely slower in the evening - lucky to hit 500KB/s - with drops right down to 20KB/s
    much more erratic

really looks like the line speed can deliver but they have nowhere near the capacity

Advertisement