Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official new NTL BB Speeds

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

definitely slower in the evening - lucky to hit 500KB/s - with drops right down to 20KB/s
    much more erratic

really looks like the line speed can deliver but they have nowhere near the capacity

Same here today is was all day about 2.8mb know is down to 1.3mb so about half.

When I test on Ntl Hell Forum the speeds are a bit better.

Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Jonnie_Onion

Highest all day today was 4 Meg, for about 10 mins. Between 1 and 2 since then, and 0.5 right now :rolleyes:

Upload is solid at around 480 kB/s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

I am just after getting 334kbps down and 470kbps up.Its strange its only when my down speed is really low that my upload speed test finishes.These speeds are pathetic as im on the MAX package!!!

NiSmO wrote:

It seems there's a problem with the whole network

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kin9pin

That's weird. Finally upgraded today and it's perfect even now. 10Mbps down and about 490kbps up.
    Pings are good to UK aswell

speed.jpg

Maybe if all you people with 10 Meg down were on 6, I might get up to 6 :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

My download is about 200k up is 480k. I hope this gets sorted soon. My 3meg was rock solid. Did NTL misplan something???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

would this be a shock:p

seems to be an exact mirror of what happened in the uk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

would this be a shock:p

seems to be an exact mirror of what happened in the uk

repeated numerous times ! NTL Ireland is not the same company as NTL UK! and have not been part of th NTL UK for sometime now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

Business-wise, maybe, but have they detached themselves fully from the NTL infrastructure?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

emmm but sure they hardly had physical coax links to the NTL uk network anyway......

Drapper wrote:
    repeated numerous times ! NTL Ireland is not the same company as NTL UK! and have not been part of th NTL UK for sometime now!

drapper we all know this by now, comparison is still valid though

(i didnt bother mentioning this time as im assuming by now everyone is long aware of this fact... )

anyway although they may no longer be the same company, how different is the technology and the rollout - both cable technology, both same version of DOCSIS and both to same speed, and seemingly same upgrade rollout experience ( mess )

also if you do a tracert to some websites you do go through ntl uk servers so i dont think the companies are fully detached yet ( unless ntl ireland are maintaining separate dns servers in the uk? which is doubtful )

• Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

Well after eight phone calls I finally got through to somebody that knew what i was talking about:

Phone call went like this I want to avail of the upgraded speed no problem sir all done reboot your modem in 15 min and all will be done.

15 min later 10meg connection downloading an iso at 1170kbs and a solid 500kbs up

Thank god case closed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Mine got done today, 48hrs after e-mailing them. I'm in D24 btw, perhaps if we all knew where everybody has been done we'd get a better idea of what's actually happening for those still waiting.

Still haven't received the phone call I was promised regarding 1.2M down on a 6M upgraded line.

Spent 30 mins on hold today then gave up.

Wrote a very angry email.

Wjen i go into the connection it says the modem is a 10m modem,does taht mean ive had the upgrade the whole time?

Wjen i go into the connection it says the modem is a 10m modem,does taht mean ive had the upgrade the whole time?

yes.

O bollox,its never gone above 3.7m down!!!

Im just wondering have NTL UK actually sorted out all of their problems yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭huggs2

Got upgraded this evening. 380k up and 212k down :mad: They will ring me tomorrow hopefully and let me know what is going on.

Tip:- before you go calling NTL check your speeds from HeaNet or the likes as speed checkers are showing up so many different sppeds for me! however ftp speeds from HEaNEt seem fine @ 6-10mb.

Also, it takes a number of weeks for the rollout to sort itself out! going from 3mb to 6mb is almost like NTL doubled thier custmer base overnight! and it takes time to settle! furhter bandwidth to be added and network stress testing to be complete:-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Drapper wrote:
    Also, it takes a number of weeks for the rollout to sort itself out! going from 3mb to 6mb is almost like NTL doubled thier custmer base overnight! and it takes time to settle! furhter bandwidth to be added and network stress testing to be complete:-)

But it's not because they've only upgraded a few people.

And there weren't these problems when they doubled speeds to 3meg.

And there weren't these problems when they doubled speeds to 3meg.

sure was for me. again a jump from 1.5 = 3.0 is not as big as 3 - 6/10 (power/signal/bandwidth/stress)! I's not a simple flick of the switch.....

and it has been stated here on Boards that NTL will upgrade on a phased basis may times! so hold in there! also check your modemn stutus daily! I was told it was being done on an address by address basis!

:)

well then this is an appallingly badly managed rollout

stress testing should never be done with live and paying customers. It should be done with an invited pool who know what they are getting themselves in for ( erratic performance, possible disconnects for modem 120 owners ).

They should know by now how to manage their network to balance the speeds they provide. They certainly should not be on a voyage of discovery now:)

Otherwise it leads to frustration for your customers as is happening all over the country.

if you look at eircom - they rolled out an upgrade very successfully in january to a larger customer base including resellers in 24 hours. Sure there were a few problems but generally it seems to have gone very smoothly. I had eircom in January and my rock solid 2 meg line went straight away to a rock solid 3 meg line. Very impressive.

I went with NTL as i moved house and it was the cheaper option but the performance and service so far has been fairly disappointing ( high erratic pings and now a messy upgrade - which hasnt fixed the pings either ). Ive had our connection checked and told its a really clean signal and yet pings are all over the place. Online game play is difficult at times if not unplayable.

Also Drapper you've a mate in NTL. Are you telling us they are still network stress testing and have not got the necessary bandwidth in place yet to service this upgrade? Is this what you have heard from inside?

Surely they should of had the bandwidth in place before rolling out. Are they trying to see how little they can get away with?

If they had this project properly planned it could have been as smooth as flicking a switch. But from the way they are rolling out to the poor customer support and communication its been a bit of a mess so far.

Got through to them today.

Apparently broadband support had no record of a request to call me. :rolleyes:

Have to wait till this evening so I can be at the pc when they call, so they can go through to whole rigmarole of turning off the modem etc, only to discover that the problem is they can't manage an upgrade.

So angry :(

different technologies to Eircom, some more up on it here! thier customer service is not great, but what companies is?

no idea other than more licenced bandwidth was required and they wanted to phase in the upgrade!

Like you I was with Eicom before I purchased my own house and never a problem ! but tbh NTL provides me with what I need and other than the intial setup problems they have been excellent! The limited complaints about NTL on Boards.ie is about 1% of the IBB gripes and 10% of the Eircom gripes! but when NTL works right its probably the best package out there!

if your not happy keep bugging them! the only thing I can think of with regard to erratic pings is your local switch is maxed out or power levesl are poor to your house. Try and localise the issue!

true... keep bugging 'em is the only thing that works:)

i mean i miss the reliability of eircom but i do respect NTL for at least pushing the boundry of whats available in ireland - i just wish theyd do it bit better!

( its companies like smart, ntl and magnet that push eircom and BB in this country so thats good at least )

thats the thing with NTL - if it works its great, if you need support though things get a but ropey.... but thats not an NTL specific compliant i guess.

• Advertisement

true... keep bugging 'em is the only thing that works:)

i mean i miss the reliability of eircom but i do respect NTL for at least pushing the boundry of whats available in ireland - i just wish theyd do it bit better!

( its companies like smart, ntl and magnet that push eircom and BB in this country so thats good at least )

thats the thing with NTL - if it works its great, if you need support though things get a but ropey.... but thats not an NTL specific compliant i guess.

tbh, I think thier support is in Wex or Waterford and networks in Dublin ! Its as if its been outsourced as "not important".............

Its a case of right arm not know what left arm is doing !! lol

But your point on pushing Eircom is spot on!

Advertisement