Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official new NTL BB Speeds

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

happy days

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭lensman

At last after 3 weeks 3 phone calls & 3 email's I've been upgraded to 3+mb, D/Ling at over 400kbs :)
    Blackhorse Avenue upper, Dublin 7 area.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭huggs2

They never rang like they said they would but the download has improved slightly.Wish i,d never asked for this upgrade .At least i was getting over 1 meg before this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,872 ✭✭✭ozmo

huggs2 wrote:
    They never rang like they said they would but the download has improved slightly.Wish i,d never asked for this upgrade .At least i was getting over 1 meg before this

After a slow first day only - it now works at stable 9.4mbps from heanet using cuteftp. very impressive for a 6mbps upgrade :)

Just to report another happycustomer here.

“Roll it back”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Jonnie_Onion

Hopefully they'll get on top of all the problems soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Mistmyr

For anyone still waiting on an upgrade ? After contacting them to request it. Call and check again....

NTL went down in Dub 24 here last nite, I called Support and was told of a general fault in the area and it was being worked on. no ETA :(

Anyway as i had him on the phone i asked him to check my account and see if it was upgraded, he checked and said yes it was done on April 19. wrong im still on 3m here...
    Maximum Downstream Data Rate : 3072000
    Maximum Upstream Data Rate : 300000

He said there have been major probs with their registration servers that handle the upgrades so he shot off another email to whoever does upgrade work telling them that according to the Config page i still wasnt upgraded... he didnt seem surprised that his records were wrong ? could this be happening alot....

Anyway: If u are still waiting call maybe they think u have been upgraded...

Hope this helps

Misty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

I have trried calling them many times and heve never gotten through,i was waiting for more then 20 minutes!!!!When is the best time to ring?

I have trried calling them many times and heve never gotten through,i was waiting for more then 20 minutes!!!!When is the best time to ring?

It doesn't matter it seems. I rang at 10.00 am today and it took over 30 mins to get through. I was told that the issues they're experiencing would probably be resolved today. I'm not too confident. Naturally, they wouldn't let me speak to someone who had any technical knowledge. Nor will they have them call me it seems. This has left a very bad taste in my mouth altogether. Does someone have the contact details of a high up person in NTL?

Does someone have the contact details of a high up person in NTL?
    Yeah this would be very usefull, my parents are really consideriing ditching the NTL bb and i have to say i cant really see why we shouldnt.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

I got straight through on 2 rings yesterday at 5pm. Don't ring the customer service number, ring 1800 924 424.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

I got straight through on 2 rings yesterday at 5pm. Don't ring the customer service number, ring 1800 924 424.

never had aproblem getting through!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

I'm getting good speeds today. ISP test says 9.75 down and 486k up HEAnet I got 1332kbps average. The only difference is I am using a wired connection today. I don't have my laptop handy to test further but maybe it is a wireless issue causing me the bad speeds....

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,040 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

paulm17781 wrote:
    I don't have my laptop handy to test further but maybe it is a wireless issue causing me the bad speeds....

I'd say there no maybe about it. I am losing about 50%of my speeds through my wirelsee network. I am only pc on it and I know there is no one illegally logged on either. I have tried 2 different wireless routers and both are having the same effect.

So if there are users on here that are using wireless connections could you check your speeds through a wired connection and post if you have major differences.

Drapper wrote:
    never had aproblem getting through!

Tried it lately?

Spent another 30 mins on the phone just now and demanded to speak to a technical guy when I eventually got through. Seems there's a problem with the strength on the line. Probably won't be fixed till the end of next week.

Naturally, I'm going to harass them until I get some sort of credit on the bill.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,841 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Aquos76 wrote:
    I'd say there no maybe about it. I am losing about 50%of my speeds through my wirelsee network. I am only pc on it and I know there is no one illegally logged on either. I have tried 2 different wireless routers and both are having the same effect.

This is not unusual, many people in the US who got BB of about 10m found that their routers just couldn't deliver it effectively.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

bk wrote:
    This is not unusual, many people in the US who got BB of about 10m found that their routers just couldn't deliver it effectively.

My ntl 120 modem shows the configuration :
    Downstream Receive Power Level : 0.44 dBmv
    Downstream SNR : 35.69 dB
    Upstream Transmit Power Level : 59.50 dBmv

Maximum Downstream Data Rate : 10240000 bps
    Maximum Upstream Data Rate : 512000 bps

The downstream receive power level varies all the time, sometimes negative. Tested heanet using FTP many times, the download rate never exceeds 4.5mpbs... on speedtest.ie the upload seems fine around 460-470kbps...

I'm using WRT54GP2 router and my machine is sitting not more than 15 feets away, is there a possibility the slowdown I have now due to my wireless connection? Or maybe my NTL download signal is the problem! Gosh this upgrade does not make any difference!

mart

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭shltter

Aquos76 wrote:

So if there are users on here that are using wireless connections could you check your speeds through a wired connection and post if you have major differences.

Use DrTCP it is your TCP setting on your wireless connection the default is fine upto about 3Mbps but over that it cannot deal with

Someone on Smart had the same problem over Xmas when they had the 6Mbps freebie could get the full speed wired but only 3Mbps wireless

http://www.dslreports.com/drtcp

Run it optimise your settings and that should do it

I just tested wired and wireless. Wireless is erratic, about 2 meg at best. Wired I was downloading from HEAnet at 945kb/s once it settled.

What is the actual addess for HEAnet?

• Advertisement

What is the actual addess for HEAnet?

ftp.heanet.ie

thanks man.

Here is the file which ntl get user to partially download to test speeds.

ftp://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/opencd/releases/3.1/TheOpenCD-3.1.iso

Cheers man i was getting a transfer rate of about 370KBps is taht normal?
    I did the blackknight speed test again and i was only getting around 2.5mb down but i was getting 550kbps up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

370 kBps is just about exactly 3mbps. Divide the bits figure by 8 to get the bytes figure...

CCol cheers man.THats worrying me though bacause my modem is set to handle 10 mb/s

on this page

http://www.dslreports.com/tools

there is a tweak tester run that and it will give you all the settings for Drtcp to maximise your broadband

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

Cheers man i was getting a transfer rate of about 370KBps is taht normal?
    I did the blackknight speed test again and i was only getting around 2.5mb down but i was getting 550kbps up.

And are you using a wireless router with ntl?

• Advertisement

NiSmO wrote:

No it is safe run the tweak test it will give you recommended settings put those into DrTCP press save and that should do it

Make sure you are not using your broadband for anything else at the time you are doing the tweak test ie bit torrent voip etc

Advertisement