Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official new NTL BB Speeds

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Aquos76 wrote:
    And are you using a wireless router with ntl?

I am. Any tips? DrTCP has gotten me to about 3 megs but wired is still much faster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

This post has been deleted.

NiSmO wrote:
    This post has been deleted.

Sigh....

802.11g is 54mbps. My connection is 10mbps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

A decently set up wireless connection should be able to pull a full 10 meg internet connection through it.

We used 802.11g at home and can get about 25 mbps through it, tops. If you try transferring a file between 2 computers over the wireless connection what speed do you get paul ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

paulm17781 wrote:
    Sigh....

802.11g is 54mbps. My connection is 10mbps.

double sigh !!

the only way signal will drop is if you are outside the recommended distances!

my netgear 108g router is pefect anywhere in my house! never notice speed drops...........

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Its 54mbps under perfect conditions. If you get 10mb speeds with a connection wired directly to your NTL modem, then the problem is yours, not NTLs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭shltter

paulm17781 wrote:
    I am. Any tips? DrTCP has gotten me to about 3 megs but wired is still much faster.

Paul did you run the tweak test

look at the rwin figure in particular and MTU

and have a look around on the forums on that website for tips

Presuming you are getting a good signal from the router and your wireless adaptor is 54Mps as well there is no reason why you should not get full speed on your wireless setup

We used 802.11g at home and can get about 25 mbps through it, tops. If you try transferring a file between 2 computers over the wireless connection what speed do you get paul ?

I only have 1 wireless machine, I'll have to look into that.

I get near full signal in my apartment so I don't think that iit is my signal strength.

I am well aware the problem is with me and not NTL. I said this myself a few posts ago. :rolleyes:

Shltter, what is the rwin in DrTCP? I don't have anyhting that matches this.

CiaranC wrote:
    Its 54mbps under perfect conditions. If you get 10mb speeds with a connection wired directly to your NTL modem, then the problem is yours, not NTLs.
    yeah but you should be able to get 25Mbps on good set up so 10 is well within that

And your right if wired is full speed the problem is nothing to do with NTL

I suspect that the vast majority of people on here complaining about NTL are problems with their TCP settings or are using unreliable speedtests like Irishisp etc

paulm17781 wrote:
    I only have 1 wireless machine, I'll have to look into that.

I get near full signal in my apartment so I don't think that iit is my signal strength.

I am well aware the problem is with me and not NTL. I said this myself a few posts ago. :rolleyes:

Shltter, what is the rwin in DrTCP? I don't have anyhting that matches this.

TCP receive window

• Advertisement

shltter wrote:
    suspect that the vast majority of people on here complaining about NTL are problems with their TCP settings or are using unreliable speedtests like Irishisp etc

I was and I take it with a pinch of salt but I get a better result wired so I know by that, that there is an issue.

I have linksys live support in another window. They are absollutely hopeless.

I think I have rwin ok.

on the tweak test what does it report your Rwin as

look down and it will give a recommended figure to set your rwin at

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Aquos76 wrote:
    And are you using a wireless router with ntl?

No i am not using a wireless router.Yes i am with NTL and im using the usb cable not the etherenet cable.

shltter wrote:
    on the tweak test what does it report your Rwin as

look down and it will give a recommended figure to set your rwin at

It says 17520 and that is what mine is set to in DrTCP

paulm17781 wrote:
    It says 17520 and that is what mine is set to in DrTCP

change it to 64240 save it and restart see if that makes any difference

No i am not using a wireless router.Yes i am with NTL and im using the usb cable not the etherenet cable.

Run The tweak test and use Drtcp make sure that the adaptor part on DrTCP is set to the network adaptor you are using ie the USB

shltter wrote:
    change it to 64240 save it and restart see if that makes any difference

Irishisptest (I know it's not the most reliable) is now giving me about 5 down but a measly > 100k upload. Nearly there. How do I work out the appropriate settings for that field?

speedtest.ie is probably a bit better than Irishisp

try these one of these in the Rwin setting or all of them one at a time see which one is best

If you use that computer in your spec with a USB cable that could very well be the problem.

Do you have USB 2.0 ? If not then its the speed of your USB connection holding you back.

Get an ethernet card somewhere for 10 euro. The performance is much much better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

emmm is usb 1.1 not 11mbit?

shltter wrote:
    try these one of these in the Rwin setting or all of them one at a time see which one is best

They're all worse. 513920 was the best but it reduced my download to 130kbps. I couldn't load pages with the others.

I dont think i have usb 2.0,to be honest i wouldnt be bothered even buying a card because this computer is a lump of ****. Im hoping to have my own by the end of the year and i am prepared to wait untill then,the fact that im using usb shouldnt affect my stability should it?? i thought it will only limit my speed.The engingeer that installed my BB said that the it was just a mater of changing the drivers to change it from USB 1.1 to 2.0? is that right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

i was unto Linksys live support earlier querying if the router we use WRT54GP2 is holding up my NTL speed wirelessly. according to her:
    4 Mbps is the normal speed when you're connected to the router. You may also check the speed if the computer is hardwired to the router. It will have the same speed.

i replied "so it is useless to hv 10Mpbs broadband and hi-speed router then?"

then i got disconnected... :(

anyway, the wired dload test with no firewall ran showed some dload rate gradually up to 850KB/s...

so there must be sthing with the wireless configuration despite having 54Mbps LAN and excellent signal strength.

mart

Christipichus, IP over USB is CPU dependant, so its possible if you have a program eating CPU cycles on your PC that could be a bottleneck. Put in a €5 NIC to rule out the problem.

NTL engineers havent a clue, ignore everything they tell you. They are TV repairman who were given a printout by their boss with a picture of how the internet works. USB 1.1 and 2.0 are hardware standards, upgrading drivers wont magically give you faster transfer rates.

emmm is usb 1.1 not 11mbit?

I don't know what speed it is, but I know that the other PC in my house is USB 1.1 and theres no way you can pul more than 1.5mbps through the port on it...

USB 1.0 is 1.5mbps, 1.1 is close to 12mbps and 2.0 is around 480mbps

mart_max wrote:
    i was unto Linksys live support earlier querying if the router we use WRT54GP2 is holding up my NTL speed wirelessly. according to her:

i replied "so it is useless to hv 10Mpbs broadband and hi-speed router then?"

then i got disconnected... :(

She probably thought you were me back! :D

The girl I spoke to hadn't a clue, everytime I would explain to her that something wasn't the issue she would say "Let's just try it anyway." I took a copy of what she said and nothing worked. Everytime I suggested or explained something she would pause for ages and eventually say something non-sensical. I left the session in a bad mood.

If anyone does fix this, please post here as to how.

CiaranC wrote:
    Christipichus, IP over USB is CPU dependant, so its possible if you have a program eating CPU cycles on your PC that could be a bottleneck. Put in a €5 NIC to rule out the problem.

NTL engineers havent a clue, ignore everything they tell you. They are TV repairman who were given a printout by their boss with a picture of how the internet works. USB 1.1 and 2.0 are hardware standards, upgrading drivers wont magically give you faster transfer rates.

Yeah I was almost sure that it was a hardware standard. My CPU could be a problem because its only a 800mhz P3,Do you know if the usb port would be using the PCI bus becasue my soundcard is a pci card and i still have my 56k modem in there aswell,maybe the PCI bandwidth could possibly get maxed out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

i figured it out anyhow, the TCP setting is contributing to the limited download speed using wireless connection (on Berkin USB G adapter)... Changed the RWIN to 513920 and i managed to download from Heanet ftp as fast as 700KB/s... that's an improvement...

i can't be bothered to tweak it around anymore at this stage, having to reboot the PC everytime changes made... anyway, wired PCI (onboard) gives the best result as I mentioned earlier...

btw, the Heanet server is a bit slow tonite... probably bcoz many of us hogging to speed test...

mart

Advertisement