Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official new NTL BB Speeds

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

I don't know what speed it is, but I know that the other PC in my house is USB 1.1 and theres no way you can pul more than 1.5mbps through the port on it...

After further investigation it's possible to get about 2.5 mbps through it, which leaves me standing by it being USB 1.1 , just USB being a big load of cack for networking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

finally, i'm getting the speed that is just nice.

did few more dload test after TCP tweak i did earlier (see previous post)... can't see actual dload speed on the FTP client but it's more or less 10Mbps at midnite, on wireless connection from WRT54GP2 router :D

god bless.

mart

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Mart, what are you using to connect to the router? What did you set your rWin to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

This post has been deleted.

Routers, theres basically nothing that you can change on the modem.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 antsiou

A question (quick one)

What are you using to monitor the traffic on your network?
    NTL cable bbmax --> Linksys wrt54gs (v.5 :( ) --> 4 laptops.

Basically I'd like something that follow the routeur traffic, and that I can consult from my laptop --> it monitors on the router and I only access on my laptop, not monitoring from my laptop (as it's not turned on 24/7 unlike the router)...:confused:

Hope I'm clear, and that somebody has an answer...;)

I think that to do something like that you'd have to look into installing a custom firmware on your router, I'd be surprised if there was a feature like that inbuilt...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

paulm17781 wrote:
    Mart, what are you using to connect to the router? What did you set your rWin to?

Paul, my setup :

PC > Belkin USB Wireless G Adapter > WRT54GP2 > NTL Model 120

My rWin is now tweaked to 513920 using TCP Optimizer from speedguide.net. Somehow DrTCP did not work it all on my machine. Anyway, happy days...
    NiSmO wrote:
    are all of ya tweakin ur modem or routers? im confused!

It is TCP settings that I tweaked on my computer.

mart

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 436 ✭✭mossieh

Anybody who's still waiting for your upgrade, email them...I did it today and was upgraded two hours later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

i dont raelly want to risk the upgrade at the moment we have just had the service stable for 2/3 days for teh first time now since we subscribed and i dont want to risl any **** ups.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,328 ✭✭✭✭Tony

mossieh wrote:
    Anybody who's still waiting for your upgrade, email them...I did it today and was upgraded two hours later.
    Emailed them twice and got this answer 2nd time:

"Thank you for your e-mail.

Unfortunately because to the very high volume of requests to upgrade it is taking longer then planned to get upgraded. Your order will be processed as soon as possible."

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Paulo_B

mart_max wrote:
    finally, i'm getting the speed that is just nice.

did few more dload test after TCP tweak i did earlier (see previous post)... can't see actual dload speed on the FTP client but it's more or less 10Mbps at midnite, on wireless connection from WRT54GP2 router :D

god bless.

mart

Im just after downloading and setting up the TCP Optimizer and my download speeds have jumped 100%.This tool is the business,im running my NTL modem off an SMC wireless router but am now reaching download speeds of around 850kbp...I definitly recommend this tool for people who got upgraded but noticed a drop in download speeds..

http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,040 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

I have downloaded the TCP Optimizer but am a bit confused as to how do i know what settings to put in and where to put them in. Any help would be much appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

Aquos76 wrote:
    I have downloaded the TCP Optimizer but am a bit confused as to how do i know what settings to put in and where to put them in. Any help would be much appreciated.

why use this lads??? :rolleyes:

Drapper wrote:
    why use this lads??? :rolleyes:

Because of this I guess...
    Im just after downloading and setting up the TCP Optimizer and my download speeds have jumped 150%.This tool is the business,im running my NTL modem off an SMC wireless router but am now reaching download speeds of around 850kbp...I definitly recommend this tool for people who got upgraded but noticed a drop in download speeds..

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭jasonh

Does anyone know if you can as a NTL Digital MMDS user get their broadband service aswell?

I'm looking into getting a digital TV package, but I also want to get broadband.
    So the only crowd I know who offer this, is NTL. But I'm not sure if they offer broadband for their rural MMDS users.

I've submitted a query to NTL, but not heard a sausage as of yet.
    I'd rather not go with NTL, because i've hear their customer service is non existant. But not much else to go with, when you live in the sticks.

Thanks

Jason.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Paulo_B

Aquos76 wrote:

Go to section 2 and it gives you a quick setup instruction but make sure you tick the backup box http://www.speedguide.net/tcpoptimizer.php
    I have a bit torrent and its after changing some registry settings and now i am unable to download anything,going to have to mess around with it for a while.I would'nt advise anyone to download it until i figure how to fix my Bit torrent.

paulo_b is your bittorrents acting up with NTL? I get this the whole time ! resets ect..... does not pee me off but wopuld be nice to sort out! might be to do with multiple IPs trying to connexct to my pc or something.........

jasonh wrote:
    Does anyone know if you can as a NTL Digital MMDS user get their broadband service aswell?

I'm looking into getting a digital TV package, but I also want to get broadband.
    So the only crowd I know who offer this, is NTL. But I'm not sure if they offer broadband for their rural MMDS users.

I've submitted a query to NTL, but not heard a sausage as of yet.
    I'd rather not go with NTL, because i've hear their customer service is non existant. But not much else to go with, when you live in the sticks.

Thanks

Jason.

Unfortunately for you Ntl BB is only available to its cable customers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 523 ✭✭✭mwrf

Drapper wrote:
    paulo_b is your bittorrents acting up with NTL? I get this the whole time ! resets ect..... does not pee me off but wopuld be nice to sort out! might be to do with multiple IPs trying to connexct to my pc or something.........

if you have the 120 modem like me then thats your problem

• Advertisement

stebishop wrote:
    if you have the 120 modem like me then thats your problem

is that the large grey laddy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 523 ✭✭✭mwrf

it certainly is. i get disconnects whenever the modem has to do a lot of work, eg, torrents or when i download from news servers for a few minutes. same thing happened in the uk with 10Mb and the old gray modems. Ask for a new one (the 250)

Well whatever I have done, my speeds have also greatly inproved using wireless connection and my bittorrents are also working fine. I have the 250 modem from ntl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Jammer

anyone else have any probs in D15? Broadband was down since yesterday morning, and the TV was grainy all day, un watchable. Everything seems ok from 12pm today, but still no upgrade!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Broadband was fine here yesterday(carpenterstown) Yea whats the craic with this upgrade ? Do we have to ring them or what ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭tabatha

i was just on to ntl and they are calling out to me on tuesday next week. i asked for my modem to be changed as i have a 120 and it is always dropping! hopefully the engineer will change mine to a newer one. i also asked for an upgrade from 2meg to 3meg and she said she would forward it on to the department dealing with it.

The email did the trick alright :D

10 meg. Time to rape NTL's news servers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 234 ✭✭shanemort

The email did the trick alright :D

OK NTLs news servers why and what are they

anything good there???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Yeah you're probably not the only one. They're ****ed at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Getting 6.99Mbps now. Seems it is NTL and not my router! :eek:

Hopefully it will stablise soon.

Advertisement