Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official new NTL BB Speeds

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

I can get a solid 1.25 MB/s when downloading from Heanet with a download manager, speeds aren't great from anywhere else though....

From non heanet sites I can't really match that though. The best I've been able to pull from easynews, using up to 15 concurrent connections was 1MB/s, but generally it's more like 700 - 800 kB.

I wonder is it a case of NTL's transit being overloaded once you go out of Ireland?

Also, their newsservers are in a terrible state, 15 concurrent connections, starts off at about 800 and keeps dropping till it hits 200....

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,040 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

paulm17781 wrote:
    Getting 6.99Mbps now. Seems it is NTL and not my router! :eek:

Hopefully it will stablise soon.

But what are you getting when using it wired. I bet there is still a big difference. As was said earlier, if there is around the 10meg coming from ntl's modem well your drop in speed when using router would have nothing to do with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Also, their newsservers are in a terrible state, 15 concurrent connections
    Why on earth do you have 15 concurrent connections?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,328 ✭✭✭✭Tony

just got upgraded in Tallaght near citywest

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

CiaranC wrote:
    Why on earth do you have 15 concurrent connections?

Trying to get the speed up a bit. Worked my way up from 5. Each extra connection gets a little more speed out of it.

If you've used their newsserver you'll know how rickety it is, you really need a lot of connections to keep the data flowing

• Advertisement

jealous.PNG

Seems that it's a contention issue on NTL's network rather than poor line quality that's keeping my speed down on weekdays. This was done on sunday morning and I'm getting blazing speeds.

irishisptest is very wrong on the upload and a little wrong on the download.

Actually getting 9.8mbps Download and 400kbps Upload. I'd like a little bitmore upload but it that's the best that my line can do I'm happy with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Selik

I'm supposed to be on the 6mb package and for the last month my download speeds barely tipped 250kbps but today and yesterday I was able to get a total download speed of about 850 KB/sec when I was running 5 concurrent downloads with DAP. Seems you have to really push the connection to get the most out of it - for example my download speed decreased as each download finished and by the time the last one was finishing up it was on the usual 200 KB/sec.

Still damn fast though either way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭tabatha

just had ntl out today and they replaced my modem with a 250, took the 120 away. anyway, i had only called them on thursday last week and asked for my new modem. there was no problem and the guy today said that the new one will be much better. i also asked to be upgraded on speed last thursday and noticed today that i am upgraded from 2meg to 3meg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

This is Waterford calling....This is Waterford calling.
    Just got upgraded, thought it would never happen tbh, just goes to show you gotta be patient. Anyone else down this way get theirs yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I'm still waiting for my upgrade despite several calls.

• Advertisement

Send an email. Bizarrely it works better.

anyone else noticing the service dropping at night? i notice last night my broadband was gone again for a few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

tabatha wrote:
    anyone else noticing the service dropping at night? i notice last night my broadband was gone again for a few hours.

Yes, happening quite often for me. Had a service fellow out this morning, who checked and said nothing seemed wrong, but after a few minutes decided to try a new modem, just in case. Will see if that helps at all.

P.

well i had my modem replaced yesterday thinking that would solve it and it didnt! still happened last night again. i am sick of ringing them. they dont seem to know themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭mang87

Just got my NTL connection installed. Getting 10mb speeds:

speed0rl.jpg

Could someone tell me how to access the NTL modem thingy? Or can you?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

That's the route I took. I mailed off and got a nice "we'll get to you eventually, please be patient" response but it seems to have worked.

Roen wrote:
    That's the route I took. I mailed off and got a nice "we'll get to you eventually, please be patient" response but it seems to have worked.

well i called them and only had to wait 5 days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 523 ✭✭✭mwrf

mang87 wrote:
    Just got my NTL connection installed. Getting 10mb speeds:

speed0rl.jpg

Could someone tell me how to access the NTL modem thingy? Or can you?:confused:

to do what exactly?? you cant change anything

it's http://192.168.100.1

user: root
    pass: root

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

ntl is terrible in the evening....
    it was out the other evening for half an hour and its slow as hell since the upgrade... mind you it wasnt perfect before either....

it flies along in the morning though

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭huggs2

ntl is terrible in the evening....
    it was out the other evening for half an hour and its slow as hell since the upgrade... mind you it wasnt perfect before either....

it flies along in the morning though

Same here. I am told new equipment has been installed here in Galway and should be all sorted by the weekend. I,m keeping my fingers crossed.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Originally Posted by DemonOfTheFall

bizarrely indeed it did. Emailed this afternoon - came home and the cable modem showing my top speed at 10mbs.

Various speed tests are showing different figures but it's faster download from heanet at 1mb/s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

I was downloadin (wirelessly) from heanet and getting 900 - 1756! at one stage. Seems like the issue was NTL really. Seems to be fixed now though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,778 ✭✭✭✭JPA

I rang up a few weeks ago to ask to get my free upgrade from 2 to 3 meg. But I think those CS people got confused. I now have the 10 meg package. :rolleyes:

I think they know exactly what they're doing. They're teasing me. Sweet 1 meg a sec. *drools*

Anyway I'm gonna deny I ever asked for this upgrade. Which is true.

JPA wrote:
    I rang up a few weeks ago to ask to get my free upgrade from 2 to 3 meg. But I think those CS people got confused. I now have the 10 meg package. :rolleyes:

I think they know exactly what they're doing. They're teasing me. Sweet 1 meg a sec. *drools*

Anyway I'm gonna deny I ever asked for this upgrade. Which is true.

u are going to get a big bill from them and there will be nothing you can do about it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,778 ✭✭✭✭JPA

tabatha wrote:
    u are going to get a big bill from them and there will be nothing you can do about it!

Well it'll only be €20 extra and I can do something about it because I didn't ask to be upgraded to this package.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

huggs2 wrote:
    Same here. I am told new equipment has been installed here in Galway and should be all sorted by the weekend. I,m keeping my fingers crossed.:rolleyes:

Hey guys is this the email you used or was it a different one.

cablemodemhelp@ntlworld.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

zarquon wrote:
    Hey guys is this the email you used or was it a different one.

cablemodemhelp@ntlworld.ie

I used their online form to send a mail. It is under 'Contact us' on the webpage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

huggs2 wrote:

well see:) hopefully, as its getting a bit annoying...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

Service guy installed a new modem for me yesterday (a 250) and now we have no service at all. :( (No problem connecting to modem itself - can ping it and view the status page, plus all relevant lights are showing. But no internet; can't ping anything outside). Not sure if this due to the new modem or a general NTL fault.

P.

• Advertisement

The service guy probably forgot to call up and have the new MAC address registered.

Advertisement