Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official new NTL BB Speeds

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 523 ✭✭✭mwrf

The service guy probably forgot to call up and have the new MAC address registered.

some idiot if that is what happened

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭mollser

Just to let you all know, Leopardstown upgraded today, I'm only going from the 1 to 2mg, but its plenty fast now

Sweeeet:)

(Oh yeah, no phone calls, just a little bit of patience and a pleasent surprise!) ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

The service guy probably forgot to call up and have the new MAC address registered.
    Exactly the same thing happened to me, I could ping remote servers though, weird. A quick call sorted that one though I just read the CS hunny my MAC address and she sorted it there and then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

stebishop wrote:
    some idiot if that is what happened

Wouldn't be the first time that it happened... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

Roen wrote:
    Exactly the same thing happened to me, I could ping remote servers though, weird. A quick call sorted that one though I just read the CS hunny my MAC address and she sorted it there and then.

Where can I view the MAC address? I'm in work but hopefully could talk my missus through the process of viewing it.

Cheers,

P.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

oceanclub wrote:
    Where can I view the MAC address? I'm in work but hopefully could talk my missus through the process of viewing it.

Cheers,

P.

Hi

It should be in the Modem itself, I think is under the modem ask her to turn it up side down.

or if she goes to the browser type 192.168.100.1 it might be there in the front page.

Hope it helps

Rang up, told them about the MAC address. The support person talked to their "modem team" (it's really annoying you can't speak to them directly), and said they say my modem is "offline". Not sure what that means exactly, but I'm getting another service call out tomorrow. Three days without internet access while trying to organise a wedding and family holiday is starting to annoy me...

P.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

they dont like mac addresses being spoken over the phone AFAIK !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,778 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Anyone else in the Ardkeen area of Waterford experiencing SERIOUS downtime for the last week?

It's being going down for me around 8 every morning and coming back 7 or 8 in the evening. I have an NTL guy coming out next week but I couldn't imagine it's something to do with my setup. Or could it?

Christ, this is a pain. They can't tell me what's wrong, have the send a service guy out again. Except they can't do it 'til Monday. But I can't take off work yet again, so I'm going to have to wait 'til next Saturday! So that's at least 10 days without broadband....

P.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

JPA yeah ive been having serious down time aswell.It happens around the same times as you have stated. Something strange happened though,i moved my modem into the living room and it was able to connect ie the ready light stayed stable.,I moved it back into the other room and it wouldnt connect,then i moved it back into the living room and it connected ok.I currently have the computer set up on the coffee table now!!!!lol

JPA yeah ive been having serious down time aswell.It happens around the same times as you have stated. Something strange happened though,i moved my modem into the living room and it was able to connect ie the ready light stayed stable.,I moved it back into the other room and it wouldnt connect,then i moved it back into the living room and it connected ok.I currently have the computer set up on the coffee table now!!!!lol

That is weird. Maybe I'll try that.

Yeah lett me know how it works out for you will you please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭mollser

upgraded, leopardstown, happy out:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

out here in the wilds of d15, been upgraded now for about a week and no problems so far. was a bit slow the first day after i got upgraded but working great now. i find that to get the best out of it you have to push the connection a bit, have several things D/L'ing at the same time for instance. By the way, i was waiting 6 weeks to be upgraded. best of luck to veryone else out there, i feel your pain (!) but it is worth it in the end !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 kgcviper

hi.
    i got a problem with the ntl news server at address news.cable.ntl.com, the maximum throughput is around 500k for 2 days now - does anybody know about this problem? ok, i use giganews as replacement but ntl costs nothing extra...

rgds
    soeren.

btw i have also 10mb/~56kb and the upgrade took only 5mins, like a switch ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

i never tried news.cable.ntl.com but instead i have been using news.cable.ntlworld.ie for the last few weeks. it works perfectly fine not a single problem yet, not even a slow down.

mart

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 kgcviper

hi, thank you for the hint, this server works perfect. many thanks..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 243 ✭✭kevmac

I need some big help here, please.

After the usual two week email ping-pong my modem was enabled for 6MB.

I am using three different Apple Macs with OS X 10.4.6 with a wireless connection (although very rarely with them all on the same time).

Before the upgrade I was on the 3MB package and all the speed sites confirmed a 2.8MB download and 256 upload.

But now the speeds are atrocious: 1.82-2.12MB download but a correct 512 upload.

So I tried jacking in the ethernet directly - same speeds EXCEPT UTV's speed test gave me 6MB to 8.2MB.

I don't know what's going on but I am seriously thinking of going back to 3MB - at least I was getting what I was paying for.

Any tips?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

It seems that NTL's new 10m service is too fast for most speed tests.

I tested mine on speedtest.ie yesterday and it reported 500k/500k, however a few seconds later I started to download two DVD ISO's from heanet and I got the full 10m :)

It was incredible to see how long they took to download.

With these new very fast speeds, people need to keep in mind:

1) The speed tests don't work

2) The server you are downloading from will often be the bottleneck, they often can't offer such high speeds.

3) In order to get the most out of the 10m you need to start multiple, parallel downloads.

4) The higher speeds won't likely make any difference to surfing or gaming unless you are sharing the connection with lots of people.

5) Ethernet gear and modems, in particular wireless gear, can become bottlenecks at these very high speeds. Personally I've found, that despite the claims of high speed wireless (52m) in reality it just can't sustain even 10m speeds, reliably.

Just enjoy what is probably one of the fastest BB products on the market and don't worry too much about speed tests, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

bk wrote:
    It seems that NTL's new 10m service is too fast for most speed tests.

I tested mine on speedtest.ie yesterday and it reported 500k/500k, however a few seconds later I started to download two DVD ISO's from heanet and I got the full 10m :)

It was incredible to see how long they took to download.

With these new very fast speeds, people need to keep in mind:

1) The speed tests don't work

2) The server you are downloading from will often be the bottleneck, they often can't offer such high speeds.

3) In order to get the most out of the 10m you need to start multiple, parallel downloads.

4) The higher speeds won't likely make any difference to surfing or gaming unless you are sharing the connection with lots of people.

5) Ethernet gear and modems, in particular wireless gear, can become bottlenecks at these very high speeds. Personally I've found, that despite the claims of high speed wireless (52m) in reality it just can't sustain even 10m speeds, reliably.

Just enjoy what is probably one of the fastest BB products on the market and don't worry too much about speed tests, etc.

well posted BK !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

bk wrote:

When I was talking to Linksys live support, I was told they have never tested a connection as fast as 10Mb. So really they don't know if it can do 54, it is just assumed. :rolleyes: :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

bk wrote:

thats actually very wise advise... its something ive started to notice myself having had it a few weeks....

at first i was expecting very fast downloads from a lot more sources but this isnt the reality... what you can do though is run a couple of 200-300k downloads at once with no problem

bk wrote:

I wish!!! My modem has been enabled for 10mb but heanet is only giving me a transfer rate of 80 kb/s !!!!!!!!!!!! this is rediculouse, is anyone else having this problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭huggs2

I wish!!! My modem has been enabled for 10mb but heanet is only giving me a transfer rate of 80 kb/s !!!!!!!!!!!! this is rediculouse, is anyone else having this problem?

Yes i get about the same from ftp.heanet.ie and i am getting a bit sick of it at this stage.:( Last week i was told there was a problem but it wasent in my house as they got the same results with their laptop here from my modem.New equipment was installed on the system last week to increase bandwidth and switched on friday which
    from what i can gather has solved alot of peoples problems but not mine.Went through the usual things with tech support this afternoon and everything checks out ok. except for the same results from heanet.They are calling again tomorrow so i.ll
    keep y,all posted

I only started getting this crappy speed last night.On the bright side my BB did not go down over the weekend. Its just one thing after another.

Ok it is official ...... my connection is now slower then when i had 56k dial up!!!!!!

Hey JAP did your line stay up all weekend??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Maskhadov

has anyone else noticed that the NTL broadband is quite slow these last few days ? Its quite annoying.. I cant check my hotmail for a long time and when i click on a hyperlink it doesnt retrieve the information for ages (as opposed to slow transfer).

I had UTV in the apartment but someone recommended getting rid of UTV and Eircom and move to NTL (since I already have the TV). I did that and although Im saving money Im losing in terms of quality of service.

Is NTL usually always slow or is this just a blip ?

I only started getting this crappy speed last night.On the bright side my BB did not go down over the weekend. Its just one thing after another.

Ok it is official ...... my connection is now slower then when i had 56k dial up!!!!!!

Hey JAP did your line stay up all weekend??

Ya. My connection stayed up all weekend and today. Hopefully my troubles are over. for now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭lensman

since upgrading to 10mb I have found that both speed tests at speedtest.ie & www.wugnet.com/myspeed/speedtest.asp are giving totally different readings when I run the either test, even when I run them only seconds apart !.

One points to a 3mb connection and the other to 6mb !, I thing as others have said heatnet is a much better guide of the actual speed at a given moment in time,...try this http://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/OpenBSD/snapshots/sparc/comp39.tgz
    and view my pic below.

• Advertisement

My speed seems to be better now,although i am still not getting 6mb!! I am gettign aroung 420 KB/s at the moment which is around the highest i have been getting ever.

Advertisement