Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official new NTL BB Speeds

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

Can't wait to see how this upgrade pans out for me, my line quality might be marginal since I'm miles away from the ntl loop that I'm on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

is it 56k type bad? do web pages load ok?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

carrotcake wrote:
    is it 56k type bad? do web pages load ok?

Pages don't load as fast as they should do on alot of the sites i go to and downloads are around 1.5meg speed on average.My stable 3meg connection on Metro is so much better than this. I'm giving tech support a call when i get home from work.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

should the upgrade take automatically or do you have to power cycle the modem to force it?

mickger wrote:
    Pages don't load as fast as they should do on alot of the sites i go to and downloads are around 1.5meg speed on average.My stable 3meg connection on Metro is so much better than this. I'm giving tech support a call when i get home from work.

Gave tech support a call and they went through the usual restart modem restart router routine and check lights on modem and they said everything was ok from there end and put me through to the netgear support line and the guy from netgear got me to update the firmware. This has'nt helped still the same eractic speeds. I'm trying to connect the modem directly to my laptop with the ethernet cable but am not getting any joy connecting. Its really frustrating.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

mickger wrote:
    I'm trying to connect the modem directly to my laptop with the ethernet cable but am not getting any joy connecting. Its really frustrating.

Have you been power cycling the modem when you plug it into the laptop?

paulm17781 wrote:
    Have you been power cycling the modem when you plug it into the laptop?

Yeah i have but i'll try it again just to be sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

Do you have IP/DNS configuration correctly?

CyberGhost wrote:
    Do you have IP/DNS configuration correctly?

Managed to connect directly to the cable modem and am still having the same speeds issues so thats the router theory out the window.

Update: Using a download manager put the connections to ten and downloaded a large file from Easynews and got average speed of 800KB/sec. Connection has risen above that level on other downloads. Looks like its a 10meg connection. Hope its continues this good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭Shigsy

mickger wrote:
    ...downloaded a large file from Easynews and got average speed of 800KB/sec. Connection has risen above that level on other downloads. Looks like its a 10meg connection. Hope its continues this good.

So your connection starting to look a bit more stable again, or is this another fluke spike?

When we all got upgraded to 10mb a few weeks back (for about 3hrs anyway!) i was downloading at a constant 1.1mb/sec from a number of different servers, which is max you can expect to get from a 10mb line. Hopefully this means im in a nice spot to get a stable 10mb line when we officially get the upgrades on April 1st :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

mickger wrote:
    Don't get too excited yet guys,There are lots of problems to iron out.This is far from a stable connection,Its all over the gaffe.Hope they sort it soon.
    i had nothing but trouble with my connection for the first few weeks. (i even ended up calling NTL support, who couldn't even help me get stable speeds)
    ditching the crappy wifi gear and laying down a length of good old cat5 ironed those out straight away.
    if possible try testing the connection with cables before pointing the blame at NTL

Shigsy wrote:
    So your connection starting to look a bit more stable again, or is this another fluke spike?

When we all got upgraded to 10mb a few weeks back (for about 3hrs anyway!) i was downloading at a constant 1.1mb/sec from a number of different servers, which is max you can expect to get from a 10mb line. Hopefully this means im in a nice spot to get a stable 10mb line when we officially get the upgrades on April 1st :D

Been downloading at speeds of 850KB/sec or higher constantly since i posted that message so its not just a spike this time.Its alot more stable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Man this is really good news,I hope i get those kind of speeds,although my modem is connected to my pc throuhg usb so im not too sure if i will be able to benifit from the upgrades.I also think my pc copuld be too slow to benefit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

mickger wrote:
    Been downloading at speeds of 850KB/sec or higher constantly since i posted that message so its not just a spike this time.Its alot more stable.

That's good news. I use NTL in two seperate locations (parents and own place) and both are rock solid. While I can't wait for the upgrades I think this 'testing new customers' thing works. It seems they are trying not to annoy old customers with dodgy connections and are waiting to see how it goes for new users. Hopefully when I get the upgrade it will be seemless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

I had a problem with my NTL as in it was cancelled inadvertently for about a week. Got it switched back on yesterday and it's now up to 6MB:D

just been upgraded to 10mb myself. irishisptest is giving me different speeds each time and the upload reading seems a bit too high at 100mb!

edit: just been downloading from heanet at about 1170kBps (just over 9mb)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 523 ✭✭✭mwrf

carrotcake wrote:
    just been upgraded to 10mb myself. irishisptest is giving me different speeds each time and the upload reading seems a bit too high at 100mb!

edit: just been downloading from heanet at about 1170kBps (just over 9mb)

what area are you in?

tallaght

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

carrotcake wrote:
    tallaght

new connection or did you ask for the upgrade?

Drapper wrote:
    new connection or did you ask for the upgrade?
    i asked to be upgraded from middle tier to top tier, hoping that i'd go straight to 10mb :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

carrotcake wrote:
    i asked to be upgraded from middle tier to top tier, hoping that i'd go straight to 10mb :)

:-) nice deal ...........can you post your modem root status up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

Cool! I'm gonna give em a call now *fingers crossed*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 523 ✭✭✭mwrf

carrotcake wrote:

how long did it take from phonecall to upgrade??
    and have you got the 250 modem?

sorry about all the questions!

yeah, i have the 250. it took two hours for the upgrade to go through

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

lol 10meg down but only 512 up?!
    What a crock of hairy balls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kin9pin

Well it's better than 3Mb down 300k up so I'll take it and run.
    Anyone been upgraded in Sandyford yet?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,840 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

WTF, only 2 years ago we were getting 512k down! I think it is incredible that it has come so far, in such a short time. 512k up is excellent. Sure 10m/1m would have been a nicer balance, but we are only paying €40 for this, so what do you expect?

Christ I sound like an old man (I'm not), imagine the voice of an old fella with gummy lips:
    "Ungrateful young fella, I remember back in my day we had to use a wet piece of string* to connect to the internet!"

* The wet piece of string of course being an Eircom POTS line :D

Drapper wrote:
    :-) nice deal ...........can you post your modem root status up?
    it's the exact same as mickger's

Maximum Downstream Data Rate : 10240000
    Maximum Upstream Data Rate : 512000

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

bk wrote:
    so what do you expect?
    10Mb/2Mb at least. :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭Vadrefjorde

Cool, anyone tried downgrading then ringing up and upgrading again to see if you get 10Meg:D :D:D:D
    I'm tempted to try it:p I rang again today to be told i'm being upgraded as we speak. Mind you they said that yesterday

Advertisement