Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official new NTL BB Speeds

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 523 ✭✭✭mwrf

doubt it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭kintaro

hi guys,

i just rang the broadband tech line on 1800 924424, after holding for like 20 minutes, i got thought to a guy called daniel. I asked him firstly if i would need a new modem for the speed increase, he then told me that there is no increase planned. he said there was numberous sales meetings about it but nothing definate is planned and it definatley wont be this weekend. He also said that NTL are aware of a lot of buzz going around the internet about the speed increase but until NTL update their webpage nothing will happen and nothing is official. he said we will all get letters telling us of the upgrade, as per the last time before the increase goes through. he seemed to know what he was talking about! he then went on to say that NTL have been testing the lines recently in certain areas, basically putting a stress test on the reliabity of the new speeds but its still been tested.

is this a case of NTL not informing there staff or is there a chance that this upgrade will indeed not go through this weekend!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

kintaro wrote:
    is this a case of NTL not informing there staff or is there a chance that this upgrade will indeed not go through this weekend!
    how about we all just wait until the weekend to find out instead of wasting NTL's time with these kind of phone calls...

(having said that, i've been power cycling my modem daily in the hopes of an upgrade :D)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

whats that press release above about then??

ntl.JPG

after 24 hours of having 10MB i can report that
    the speed is quite steady. i get between 800kbps and 1200kpbs on downloads. (always 1200kbps from ntl news server). uploads are equally
    as steady around 50kbps being the average.

average ping to boards.ie = 25ms
    average ping to jolt.co.uk = 35ms
    average ping to google.com = 125ms

however, i have had to reboot the modem four times today already and its
    turning into a bit of a pain in the arse. the sync and rdy leds stay green but no connection. i'd say it could be the modem because i have the old 120.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭Shigsy

Drapper wrote:
    They are starting on Saturday and doing areas in alphabetical order so I've heard! 1st - 15th. They know the concerns of the impact on the network! they are not fools

Dear god i hope your wrong! :eek: If not, only places beginning with X, Y and Z are after me... and i cant think of many of them...
    Whats the chances of convincing them that Walkinstown is actually Alkinstown? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

Mossy wrote:
    Everybody else believes that 2 meg is being upgraded to 3 meg (see the first post, also see here).

BTW, don't know why you're posting this information.

Wow, what a nice person you are. Somebody posted asking for info, I tried to help them out. I made a mistake, big whoop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Tanabe

mickger wrote:
    Update: Using a download manager put the connections to ten and downloaded a large file from Easynews and got average speed of 800KB/sec. Connection has risen above that level on other downloads. Looks like its a 10meg connection. Hope its continues this good.

How do u do this? Ie. "Using a download mgr put the connections to ten".....etc. What is a download mgr/where can I find one?

I singed up for a 3MB connection with NTL here in Waterford about a month ago & have to say I have had nothing but hassle ever since. I have the Netgear wireless router, a blue cable modem (don't have a clue what model so don't know if it could handle 10MB/sec should we ever see it in this lifetime!!) & speed is ****!

How do u post up those fancy screenshots from Blacknight? I wish I could show you my latest speed test:

Download speed: 167kbps
    Upload speed: 480kbps

Oh yeah....& how the hell or what the hell is power cycling your modem & how do I do it?:rolleyes:

Cheers

press print screen on your keyboard (beside scroll lock) then open ms paint.. edit> paste.. cut it out.. save as jpg and then attach the jpg to a post.

have you tried calling tech support?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Tanabe wrote:
    Oh yeah....& how the hell or what the hell is power cycling your modem & how do I do it?:rolleyes:

Cheers

Remove the power cable from your modem for 30 seconds then stick it back in again.

power cycling has to be the most fancy term ive ever heard for "turn it off and back on again":rolleyes:

stebishop wrote:
    power cycling has to be the most fancy term ive ever heard for "turn it off and back on again":rolleyes:

Have to agree with you there mate:D & thanks for your instructions earlier, however I've only managed to save my results into a word document so see below for my speeds!

I've had technicians out about 3 times now since I signed up and my speed have never been anywhere near 3MB/sec.

I've power cycled my modem several times & all that. Totally pissed.

Tanabe wrote:
    I've had technicians out about 3 times now since I signed up and my speed have never been anywhere near 3MB/sec.

No one gets near 3mb/sec. A 3 mb line will give you a max of 375 k/s.

No one gets near 3mb/sec. A 3 mb line will give you a max of 375 k/s.

So my speed is normal then?:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,328 ✭✭✭✭Tony

I'm in west tallaght and just noticed a speed drop for the first time ever, heres hoping its a prequel to an upgrade.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

Tanabe wrote:

well if your getting around 350 k/sec then yeah.

A 3 meg line refers to megabits not megabytes. To get the speeds you were expecting would require a 24 mb connection.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,040 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Tony wrote:
    I'm in west tallaght and just noticed a speed drop for the first time ever, heres hoping its a prequel to an upgrade.

Same here in Waterford city. It was running ok earlier but its now at a real go slow. Only getting 615kbps where as its usally around the 2.95KB mark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

Speed is low for me also today (c. 500Kb/s). Hopefully upgrade related, but you never know.

Heh, mines just gone a bit dodgy too. In Cabinteely. Kip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Astro1996

Tallaght here aswell the speed over the last 2 days has gone from the normal 220-240kb/s mark to currently 60-90kb/s all day...., it has been going up and down though for the last 2-3 weeks, browsing has been the worst in years, hope this upgrade goes well

it's us 10MB people taking up all the bandwidth!:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Phone.Book

Tanabe wrote:

Your speed is far from normal!

Your downloading at about 44KB a sec were as I'm on NTL 3MB and running that same test I'm downloading at 370KB a sec!

Get onto them and go bananas!!

Don't ask how slow your downloading in your first doc. You DON'T want to know...

mickger wrote:
    Managed to connect directly to the cable modem and am still having the same speeds issues so thats the router theory out the window.

Update: Using a download manager put the connections to ten and downloaded a large file from Easynews and got average speed of 800KB/sec. Connection has risen above that level on other downloads. Looks like its a 10meg connection. Hope its continues this good.

Well Mickger, any info on how you do this download mgr thingy & put connections to ten?

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭captainpat

Any info/rumours about the advisory caps with the 6 or 10 mbps speeds? Otherwise we'll be closing the connection on the 15th of each month!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

same as before - 40gb. it's gonna be tough, considering a 10mb connection can do 100gb in a day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

gone abit haywire in D15 too anyone having problem there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭00sully

yeah speeds were cack in D15 last nite - seems to be stable now tho, back to 3mb :)

hopefully we get the full 10 soon enough!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

NTL has announced the new BB speeds and yes they are what was predicted last week:
    NTL Ireland now has four broadband packages ranging from €19.99 a month for its basic 1Mbps service to €39.99 a month for the new 6Mbps product. It’s 2Mbps and 3Mbps products cost €24.99 and €29.99 a month respectively.

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/news/...yid=single6233

ENN says that the new speeds will come into effect on Friday.

• Advertisement

the disconnects haven't stopped. four times today now. it seems to happen when there is stress on the modem (ie two torrents at a time). rang tech support and they are sending out an engineer on monday. (hopefully with a new 250 modem instead of the 120 i have). i have a feeling that it will happen to everyone who has the 120 when the mass ugrade happens. so be warned!:)

Advertisement