Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official new NTL BB Speeds

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

lensman wrote:
    what's with this 10mb talk ? the NTL site lists 1,2,3 & 6mb packages !!:confused:

nice, they've updated their webpage.
    Aquos76 wrote:
    Pretty much the same here mickger. I am also in Waterford.

Try speedtest.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

i was just playing cs 1.6 and i have no lagg at all.

but look at this

im getting 642 kbps down and 1.52 mbps up .crazy or what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

speed is muck in galway tonight.... barely a third of what it should be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

Im in waterford too and my connection has been dead for the last TWo days!!!i mean it wouldnt connect to ANY website at all.engineer came buy to day and fixed it appearently we were getting 3mb/s then (i wasnt home at the time) but now the speeds have gone to ****e they are slower then mickger's. the speed test wont even load up now!!!! I better get a solid 10 mb/s line for all of this **** ive had to put up with now!!!

Two days is a hell of a long time !:D

X-SL wrote:
    I'm currently on 1mb. How do I go about getting an upgrade?

I think you should call NTL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I'm still on 3meg but the connection is stable so I'm happy. Not in any rush to be pushed onto an unstable network, even if it means a speed increase.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

CyberGhost wrote:
    nice, they've updated their webpage.
    Try speedtest.ie

have you noitced its almost impossible to read the small print ?

tbl_grid.gif

tbl_foot.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

dont think its intentional, think its just a poor developer who did the page...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

no mention of upload speeds on the website??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭MyStuffForSale

In sandyford area. Speed all over the place. On 2Mbps which should be upgraded to 3. Jumping from 1.92 down to as low as .350 kpbs in the last couple of days. Doesn't appear stable using ISP Speed test. I presume this has to do with upgrading. Anyone experiencing similar ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

So, with the new speeds & prices, over the first year the 2Mb service (with 3 free months) is cheaper than the entry-level 1Mb service (no free months)!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭Boomer23

LFCFan wrote:
    no mention of upload speeds on the website??

upload speeds are basic maths

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

BendiBus wrote:
    So, with the new speeds & prices, over the first year the 2Mb service (with 3 free months) is cheaper than the entry-level 1Mb service (no free months)!

Or you could always just get the 2Mb package then switch to the 1Mb after 3 months. (I presume this is allowed, it used to be)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

Boomer23 wrote:
    upload speeds are basic maths
    Eh?

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,040 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Speeds are still very much up and dpwn here in Waterford today also. I called Tech Support this morning and they maintained that there was nothing wrong. I advised them to visit this thread and see for themselves. As per usual, they wanted to organise a service call.

Here are my speeds atm..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭Spud

got upgraded to 10 meg at about 1pm upload speeds fine havent gone over 2 meg yet tho.

Spud wrote:
    got upgraded to 10 meg at about 1pm upload speeds fine havent gone over 2 meg yet tho.

And it wont go over 2megs either. Can u post up some results?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,778 ✭✭✭✭JPA

masterK wrote:
    Or you could always just get the 2Mb package then switch to the 1Mb after 3 months. (I presume this is allowed, it used to be)

Or get the 6 meg package and then downgrade to 1 mb. Which is perfecly allowed.

there u go

Thats typically the way it has been for over a week now. You said you were nearer the 10meg earlier on and look at your results now. Crap or what!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

Speeds are still crap for me today on the 10meg package in Waterford. Just came home from my sisters where she has the 1meg package and her speeds are fine.

Edit: Just maxed out my connection downloading from Easynews. Guess lots of people are using the speedtest and speeds from that are not a good judge.

• Advertisement

I'm basically 9 meg off what im paying for..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭keyran

CyberGhost wrote:
    Got upgraded today...
    yeeees4ft.jpg

If you've read my post on page 5...

Well they would not do it, but today I let my dad call them
    http://eva.googiez.com/wallpaper/homermad800.jpg

After 10 mins, they upgraded...

IrishISPTest didn't give good results, dunno why? :/
    snag00006rb.jpg

Giganews... didn't have time to max out ;)
    snag00016vk.jpg

and heanet...
    snag00024nn.jpg

I think this post proves that the results from irishisp are a little more the inaccurate. What sort of download rates are you all getting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 660 ✭✭✭anthonymcg

Lads, Blacknight who run irishisptest.com have recently hooked into INEX but have yet to partner with NTL. This means the test results may be slightly off at the moment but they've said they are hoping to connect in with NTL soon which means it'll be more accurate. AFAIK anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

Drapper wrote:
    have you noitced its almost impossible to read the small print ?

tbl_grid.gif

tbl_foot.gif

Yea I agree it's hard to read and I don't like colouring too, also I think the whole world knows that broadband is X times faster then dialup, they should have put upload speeds instead of dialup comparison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

i said it a few pages back that the speed tests are crap and the only way to truely see is to download from a fast server like heanet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Tanabe

I'm in Waterford too, signed up for 3MB package a month ago, speeds are ****e, barely getting 1mb per sec

... thats what ur meant to get..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭Boomer23

Spud wrote:
    I'm basically 9 meg off what im paying for..

please read other posts by Drapper, its NOT 10meg, its 6meg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

i've been on and off with their sales and customer support these few days. my area, IFSC won't be fully upgraded in a month time, more or less it's their estimate time frame. so no no to 6Mb until they get all of their equipment ready. argh, so i just need to live with 3Mb to surf boards for the mean time. :D

• Advertisement

Right all, Spent over an hour on to tech support earlier this evening and tried all different things to see what was the problem. They are refusing at accept that all these problems are related to this upgrade. He got me to go into a folder on an ftp.heanet.ie server and start to DL a 650mb file. Speeds were aroung 550KBps. He then made me go into my task manager and tell him all files I had running. Also he got me to stop all programs running in the background. He then got me to start to DL the same file again. This time the speeds were 400KBps. So that was no good.

Then he decided it was time to ditch the wireless router and go the wired route. Tried downloading same file and this time we were getting 900KBps. So hey presto faulty wireless router so his words no mine. "Netgear's problem not ours.

So I rang them and we go through all settings and NO changes are made.

Back on the wireless router now and I try downloading the same file again and you can look for youself at the results.

If this is not prove that there is something a miss I dont know what else we can do.

Advertisement