Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone been to Berlin lately?

• 14-03-2006 2:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭

I'm going to Berlin with the girlfriend in April and am trying to find a decent techno club to take her to, but as far as I can work out, they've been closing down all the good ones I can find on the Internet.

So, anyone any ideas/recent experience. Criteria are: really hard techno through a fat soundsystem, ease of scoring(!) and room to dance like spastics.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I've been disappointed by the techno club front when I've been in Berlin. Lots of great record stores but no one seems to be spinning them. If you find a good one, let me know, I'll be there in August.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

hey grims,

was there in january. absolutely loved it.

started off in a place called café moscow. was a sunday night and upstairs was gay but downstairs was absolutely kickin. pure, authentic house and techno. the only way i could describe it is, say i was a psycho fan of volkswagen cars. well that night i paid a visit to the factory to see them bein made...

though the place itself was like a mid 1990's club somewhere in ireland, the music was sublime and the djs were like a few guys who came over to your gaff to play you some tunes. no pretentiousness whatsoever.

we were there from about 2am to 6am and then we headed to a club called sage. feckin mental. the music was a bit heavier but was swell all the same. the club itself was full of cool dudes and dudesses but it was very interesting to watch. they were all f&cked just like me and my girlfriend and some crazy off the wall conversations were to be had. absolutley amazin club...small but the interior wrapped around the dancefloor like a cocoon inside of which you could melt away. bliss...

then we went to an afterparty from 11am til 2pm monday afternoon. then we were shipped to an after-afterparty in a bar called cafe lagos which was ours for the day with the door closed for privacy. don't know how it all happened but it did. finally crashed about 12 midnight monday night.

lookin forward to going back real soon.

you will have fun.

k.

ps you can score in any of the above except the last place :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭whacker4fun

this is a class club,old ware house,paul van dyk played here last nov he did a 8 hour set,pure genius,but theres so manay arenas ull get techno,it doesnt look like a club from the site but trust me..........
    http://www.kulturbrauerei.de/
    http://www.kesselhaus-berlin.de/

Kraggy, any idea where those clubs are?

hi john,
    i'll find out for you. might be tomorrow though.

my girlfriend and i just followed her sister around so didn't pay any attention to place names but i'll find out.

and can't believe i forgot another place. it's just open sat nights and is in an old train station. don't know how to spell it but sounds like "Ber-kine". i'll find out the spelling of that for you too.

because we arrived on a sunday for just 3 nights we couldn't go but supposedly it's the mother of all clubs and starts on sat night and goes through til 6pm sunday evening...lucky berliners...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭grimsbymatt

kraggy wrote:
    hi john,
    i'll find out for you. might be tomorrow though.

my girlfriend and i just followed her sister around so didn't pay any attention to place names but i'll find out.

and can't believe i forgot another place. it's just open sat nights and is in an old train station. don't know how to spell it but sounds like "Ber-kine". i'll find out the spelling of that for you too.

because we arrived on a sunday for just 3 nights we couldn't go but supposedly it's the mother of all clubs and starts on sat night and goes through til 6pm sunday evening...lucky berliners...
    Sounds like just the ticket (how very English!). If you could find that out t'would be great.

Right,

Sage and café moscow are in an area called Mitte (pronounced Mit-a i think, don't speak German)

And that other club, the "mother of all clubs" te he, is spelt Berghein and is in an area called Friedrichshain.

have fun!:p

Here's an article on it

http://berghain.fxb.de/log/node/57

and the address of the club is:

Am Wriezner Bahnhof Berlin, Friedrichshain 10243

think i'll go in april myself after thinking about it! lol:D

last bit of info,

this is a good site for the important basics:

http://www.ivebeenthere.co.uk/places/germany/berlin/tips/club

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭grimsbymatt

kraggy wrote:
    Right,

Sage and café moscow are in an area called Mitte (pronounced Mit-a i think, don't speak German)

And that other club, the "mother of all clubs" te he, is spelt Berghein and is in an area called Friedrichshain.

have fun!:p
    Excellent stuff, thanks kraggy. Mitte is the place where we're staying, but from the review, it sounds like it's probably worth a venture out to this Berghein place.

Btw, happy Paddy's day to all you Irish folk (unless of course you don't appreciate that sort of thing, in which case you receive a nod and a firm handshake)!

• Advertisement

Excellent stuff, thanks kraggy. Mitte is the place where we're staying, but from the review, it sounds like it's probably worth a venture out to this Berghein place.

It doesn't matter where you stay in Berlin, they have perfected the art of public transport and everywhere is mucho accessible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 robprunzit

Haven't been there since '97. I'm sure you'll find plenty.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Joey Shabadoo

Panoramabar and Dollhaus.

Advertisement