Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

getting a new car - prices

Options
  • 14-03-2006 2:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭

Planning to get a new car for my wife vsoon. We are thinking of the new Yaris or the VW Golf.
    Judging by the What car magazine, you should be able to knock a chunk of a new car, regardless of its make.
    The Yaris we were thinking of is the 1.3 VVTI MMT, Luna which Toyota.ie has for €17.700. Would it be reasonable to ask the dealer toknock 8% of the original price. Do different toyta delaers have diffrent prices or is all "fixed". What is your experience.
    Any constructive reply is appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

regedit wrote:
    Planning to get a new car for my wife vsoon. We are thinking of the new Yaris or the VW Golf.
    Judging by the What car magazine, you should be able to knock a chunk of a new car, regardless of its make.
    The Yaris we were thinking of is the 1.3 VVTI MMT, Luna which Toyota.ie has for €17.700. Would it be reasonable to ask the dealer toknock 8% of the original price. Do different toyta delaers have diffrent prices or is all "fixed". What is your experience.
    Any constructive reply is appreciated
    I'd call them rather than go by prices on their websites because they tend to usually state that delivery & extra charges are additional.
    VW Golf is overpriced IMO. Haven't seen the new Yaris yet up close...seen it on the road and looks bigger than previous model which wouldn't be hard.

If you're in that category, I'd not rule out the Honda Jazz. About the same price as the Yaris. Wife got one out last year for a day test drive and loved it.

As for different dealers having different prices.???? Do you not watch TV?
    There was a few programs on at the end of last year highlighting the problem of price fixing in the car industry between dealers. You'll be lucky to find a difference of €100 between each dealers in your area.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭regedit

Lex Luthor wrote:
    I'd call them rather than go by prices on their websites because they tend to usually state that delivery & extra charges are additional.
    VW Golf is overpriced IMO. Haven't seen the new Yaris yet up close...seen it on the road and looks bigger than previous model which wouldn't be hard.

If you're in that category, I'd not rule out the Honda Jazz. About the same price as the Yaris. Wife got one out last year for a day test drive and loved it.

Thyanx and BTW, can you actualy get a car for one day test drive from dealers? I thought the max they allow you is a limited test drive whith a sales assistant siting beside you!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

the golf is a WAY better car than the yaris. paying 17 for a yaris is lunacy. ul get a golf for 2 or so grand more. expect around 1000 off a yaris, colm m will give u a more precise figure.

regedit wrote:
    Thyanx and BTW, can you actualy get a car for one day test drive from dealers? I thought the max they allow you is a limited test drive whith a sales assistant siting beside you!
    Ya, it should be no problem. We called into Honda on the Naas Rd and they were more than happy to oblige. You just transfer your insurance over for the period. You'll have to give them a few days notice though.
    You're not going to get much of an idea in a 10min test drive...best if you can swing it for the weekend that way you can try it out for size & practicality if you have kids, etc.
    If they tell you NO WAY, walk out and go to the next one.

Friend of mine had a Volvo V50 out for a few days and we could have had the Jazz for the weekend only we didn't give them enough notice so we just had it overnight.

Just to followup, the Honda dealer was willing to knock about €1200 off the sticker price of a new Jazz if it was cash only. No trade in.

I called into another Honda garage and they were similar only they had a demo model with a few 1000miles on that was another €800 cheaper. But you don't get the colour of your choice then.

I guess she's going for the MMt gearbox as it will be a lot of city driving?

The basic 5dr Golf 1.4 is €3k more...if you want comfortline spec you'll have to spend another €2k.

• Advertisement

Lex Luthor wrote:
    Just to followup, the Honda dealer was willing to knock about €1200 off the sticker price of a new Jazz if it was cash only. No trade in.

I called into another Honda garage and they were similar only they had a demo model with a few 1000miles on that was another €800 cheaper. But you don't get the colour of your choice then.

I guess she's going for the MMt gearbox as it will be a lot of city driving?

The basic 5dr Golf 1.4 is €3k more...if you want comfortline spec you'll have to spend another €2k.

I suppose so. With the 17700 (sticker price) you get a good engine, MMT, air con and I am not sure you can get all this from VW for at least 25K.
    Having said this, I am fully aware that the two cars are not in the same class.

regedit wrote:
    I suppose so. With the 17700 (sticker price) you get a good engine, MMT, air con and I am not sure you can get all this from VW for at least 25K.
    Having said this, I am fully aware that the two cars are not in the same class.
    they're not in the same class, you're right and for aircon in a VW I hardly think you'll get it for less than €1500 as an extra

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

lomb wrote:
    the golf is a WAY better car than the yaris. paying 17 for a yaris is lunacy. ul get a golf for 2 or so grand more. expect around 1000 off a yaris, colm m will give u a more precise figure.

You are right regarding the price being too much but comparing a Golf to a Yaris really isn't fair. A more comparitable offering from VW is the Polo which to find a similar spec and power to the Yaris Luna you would have to get the 1.4 Comfortline which starts at €18,150 ex works. Now that is really is silly money for a Polo.

To answer the original question the OP should be aiming to buy the Yaris for around €16,500 cash (no trade-in). Be prepared to shop around though.

bazz26 wrote:
    You are right regarding the price being too much but comparing a Golf to a Yaris really isn't fair. A more comparitable offering from VW is the Polo which to find a similar spec and power to the Yaris Luna you would have to get the 1.4 Comfortline which starts at €18,150 ex works. Now that is really is silly money for a Polo.

To answer the original question the OP should be aiming to buy the Yaris for around €16,500 cash (no trade-in). Be prepared to shop around though.

Thanks. To be honest, I was hoping to make a purchase for around that amount. As ye say, I will have to do some shopping around. I even might resolve in trying to persuade her to get another Corolla 1.4 MMT(I have a 03 Luna and it's running fine).

If car size or engine size is not an issue then take a look at the Aygo 1.0 MMT Strata. They start at around €14,500 but don't expect to get a huge cash discount on these.

The discount on the Corolla should be more flexible as the model is 4 years old, dealers will be that more eager to sell one whereas the Yaris and Aygo are brand new models only recently launched.

• Advertisement

I would guess that you would get max. €1200 discount from a new Yaris and about €1750 on a new Corolla based on a cash only purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭knifey_spoonie

If i can jump in here as i have the Toyota knowledge

Firstly a 1.3 MMT is a car that most dealers will not take into stock so it will be an order.(9-12 weeks)

Cash price would be of around €17,500 that includes Met Paint Fitted toyota carpet mats, Moulded mud flaps and petrol.

If i can jump in here as i have the Toyota knowledge

Firstly a 1.3 MMT is a car that most dealers will not take into stock so it will be an order.(9-12 weeks)

Cash price would be of around €17,500 that includes Met Paint Fitted toyota carpet mats, Moulded mud flaps and petrol.

Are you saying that due to the fact that it has to be an order, they will not offer any discount?

As a matter on interest, if you have knowledge on Toyota (IE), what discount can one realisticaly expect on a Corolla 1.4 D-4D Strata (on-line price from Toyota.ie quoted as 24585 Eu)

• Registered Users Posts: 65,419 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Cash price would be of around €17,500

Seems very expensive to me for a basic small car. One could get a decent car a full size up for about the same price

The cheapest listed 1.0 Yaris is €15k now. IIRC back when the original Yaris was introduced, it was about €10k. That's some inflation

unkel wrote:
    Seems very expensive to me for a basic small car. One could get a decent car a full size up for about the same price

The cheapest listed 1.0 Yaris is €15k now. IIRC back when the original Yaris was introduced, it was about €10k. That's some inflation

I agree it is expensive but nothing comes cheap in this country anymore. Actualy 17500 is not the basic model. It's one of the best ones they have - but again expensive

unkel wrote:

Agree Unkel but to a point. The original Yaris was launched 7 years ago and a basic 1.0 E model cost a shade over €10k back then. But it had no ABS, power steering, electric windows and only two air bags. The Yaris Luna is expensive but it is the second top model in the range with a 1.3 engine and the MMT option. This has air con, alloys and side/knee air bags as standard.

To put it into perspective, to buy an equally speced VW Polo you would have to buy the 1.4 Comfortline model which comes in at just over €18k and that doesn't include air con which VW charge around €1,500 extra for on the Polo and Golf (even the GTi :eek:).

The Fiesta Steel seems to be one of the cheaper ones out there. These superminis are getting bigger and smaller city cars such as the Aygo, etc are now being offered as cheaper alternatives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭JimmySmith

You should look at the Seat Ibiza.
    The best value super mini on the market imho

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I wouldn't reccomend the Yaris 1.3 MM. It isn't particularly smooth on changes as it is a manual box with electric clutch and shifters. Also to get aircon on any Yaris you have to buy a Sol model (€1600 over standard) and then buy the "Luxury Pack" (for €1955) This gives you Keyless Start and Keyless Entry, with Climate Control.

1.3 Manual box is quite good. I've got a Luna at the moment and it's quite a solid car and a massive improvement on the old model.

€900 would be a good discount on a Yaris BTW

That price on the yaris inc.

Met paint €450
    Mats €60
    Moulded flaps €110

On a corolla strata d4d would be around €23K That Inc Met Paint and Mats.Flaps cant be fitted because of the side skirts But they have been discontinued, so unless someone has one in stock, you wont get one.

That price on the yaris inc.

Met paint €450
    Mats €60
    Moulded flaps €110

On a corolla strata d4d would be around €23K That Inc Met Paint and Mats.Flaps cant be fitted because of the side skirts But they have been discontinued, so unless someone has one in stock, you wont get one.

Thanks knife_fighter.
    A final questiop, what Toyota dealer would you recommend as a decent one. I got my Corolla at M&G in Rathgar and the sales part was good but not the after sales.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

unkel wrote:

Doubt it. I bought a Clio in 00 for IR£10,500. Cant imagine the Yaris was £7,000. They are roughly the same price iirc, in fact I think the clio might be a bit cheaper. So it was more likely IR£10,000 ---> €15,000 which is'nt as bad. Could be wrong on the Yaris prices, but seems very cheap.

Just checked , the new clio (lovely imo) start at €14,390

most superminis in '00 were selling around £10,500 for entry level apart from the Polo & Yaris which were both around £11,800-£12,000

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Lex Luthor wrote:
    most superminis in '00 were selling around £10,500 for entry level apart from the Polo & Yaris which were both around £11,800-£12,000

Thats what I figured. So that would be around €13,000 for the Clio and €15,000 for teh yaris. Prices havnt gone up at all really.

There's no way a Yaris cost £7000 in '00 cos my wife bought a Punto in '97 for £10,000 and the Starlet was £1000 more expensive at the time.

Stekelly wrote:
    Doubt it. I bought a Clio in 00 for IR£10,500. Cant imagine the Yaris was £7,000. They are roughly the same price iirc, in fact I think the clio might be a bit cheaper. So it was more likely IR£10,000 ---> €15,000 which is'nt as bad. Could be wrong on the Yaris prices, but seems very cheap.

Just checked , the new clio (lovely imo) start at €14,390

I think tha the Clio (and any other french car) cannot compete with the likes of Toyota or any other Jap car. The looks might be on Renault's side but everything ends there. The depreciation is huge for frenchies whereas the japanese cars tend to keep the price.

regedit wrote:
    I think tha the Clio (and any other french car) cannot compete with the likes of Toyota or any other Jap car. The looks might be on Renault's side but everything ends there. The depreciation is huge for frenchies whereas the japanese cars tend to keep the price.
    Pug 206 seems to defy that logic though, but then again all the young girlies like them to keep the demand high on them.

regedit wrote:
    Thanks knife_fighter.
    A final questiop, what Toyota dealer would you recommend as a decent one. I got my Corolla at M&G in Rathgar and the sales part was good but not the after sales.

That price is our price but we are based down the country.In dublin shop around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭_Turismo4

Any new dealers should knock 10% off any new car, phone around and talk them down, see if you can get extras like mats.. full tank of petrol.. mud guards ….

• Registered Users Posts: 65,419 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

@Stekelly & Lex Luthor: you're probably right there. Must have been in the order of £10k, not €10k

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

_Turismo4 wrote:
    Any new dealers should knock 10% off any new car, ….

Is that figure based on anything?

Advertisement