Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer Vision - Skin Detection - C++

Options
  • 14-03-2006 5:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,766 ✭✭✭✭

hi

Im looking for some code/ideas/(anything!!) that will help me to detect skin in a bitmap image(rgb colour space). anything would be greatly appreciated. Im completely stuck.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭satchmo

The simplest way to do it would be search for colour values that fall within a range of set skin tones. It wouldn't be that hard to fiddle around with values until you come up with some good thresholds, and flag as skin any pixel that falls within those RGB ranges. Depending on the input this may work well or not at all, but should be easy to implement as a starting point.

Have a look at this page on real-time people detection, it seems to work pretty well and is a fairly simple algorithm - but it uses video input and depends on movement to identify the person, so it mightn't work so well on static images.

This paper A Survey on Pixel-Based Skin Color Detection Techniques is a good overview. You can find other good papers on Google Scholar.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭cousin_borat

I seem to remember MATLAB having some code that performed this function. You could have a look at that and get a basis to start your version.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭deadfingers

Hi look up a C++ library called OpenCv and also search the yahoo groups for OpenCv. It is a library created by Intel for all type of computer vision. I think you can download it from source forge. I know there is methods for detecting skin by using the Open Cv and multiple posts about detecting skin.
    I hope this helps!!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

you probably also want to have a minimum number of pixels falling into the threshold for a certain area before you call it "skin"
    i.e. if its skin there is probably a good few pixels worth..

• Registered Users Posts: 16,766 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

thanks lads. found a decent algorithm afters. works for most skin colour. now, any ideas on template matching for faces in an image?!?

• Advertisement
Advertisement