Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow on paddys day?!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

Snowing in D15

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Good, dry snowflakes have been falling here since 09:35. For 5 minutes, the snow was heavy. The dewpoint must be very low as visibility is very good where there are no showers. The ground has also dried very quickly. The snow has collected along eastern walls, however.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,947 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Snowing in leixlip but its wet snow not sticking, nice sight all the same.

The precipitation is heavier further north, unlike what the GFS had forecasted. The clouds are very dark to the north of me. The Met Office radar also backs this up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

There has been an explosion of shower activity in the sea,can see the clouds to the north of me,just building and hanging there for now.Had large flakes for 10 mins which did settle for awhile but in heavier showers should accumulate,
    temp 2.5c which has dropped 1c since 8 this morning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,263 ✭✭✭highdef

Radar really has come to life - looks life Dublin and more esp to the north is in for a pasting in the next hour and for a few hours following. If it's as heavy as it appears, hopefully it could stick

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

I had an hour of pretty persistent snow of varying intensity, but it seems to have stopped for now. Nothing sticked, expectedly. Still very cloudy. It was arguably more than anything the previous 'event' brought in that entire week, though ;)

I hope it not goin to be one of those days were we get threatening showers pretending to come across us in Dublin and just side swipe us as has happened before,looks good up in Louth and Meath.

Heavy showers about 10 miles out to sea heading this way,should have been on us by now from 10.30 radar.

In the last ninety minutes, it has not snowed for 15 of them.:)

The flakes are of moderate size, although the showers are rather light.

Oh, wait, it's snowing heavily now.

It seems that anywhere north of me in Co. Louth is getting a good bit of snow.

Started again here now,light at the mo,temp plummeting in the showers,lets have the heavy ones now. 2.4c

• Advertisement

http://www.met.ie/recentweather/rainfall_radar.asp?ani=n

That updates quicker than the Met Office radar.

There is no snow falling at the moment; any heavy showers were quite brief.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,947 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Sun Shower of Snow here in Leixlip, March of many weathers is living up to its name today

Absolutely nothing here.
    It's sunny and I'm doubtfull as theres nothing on the radar.
    Plenty around and north of Dublin though.

Today is an example of how difficult it is to forecast this as it could have went either way in terms of snow.
    Ok this is not disruptive snow but it is snow and this is the second time that Met Éireann has got it totally wrong on the night before an event.

Remember the Eagle said last night the showers would have a touch of winter about them but that snow would be on the high ground only...

This sounds cynical but they did change their forecast slightly this morning to say snow in places instead of high ground and I'm wondering was that done almost when the snow flakes started falling in Glasnevin...

I'd imagine it was when they saw where the precip was and had a look at the temp and the dewpoints and realised that hey snow is likely.

I did expect snow to be honest,nothing much but roughly whats around today.
    I did think there would be some here though which there wont be unless the south Irish sea does what it did last night ( a possibility )

http://www.met.ie/recentweather/rainfall_radar.asp?ani=n

That updates quicker than the Met Office radar.

There is no snow falling at the moment; any heavy showers were quite brief.
    Heh
    If that radar is correct I'm about to be hit by a long line of light precip :D

The radar overplays snow though so there might be nothing there :)

It's certainly cold enough here though 3.3c air temp anda minus 3 dewpoint

Not bad for a 15mph NE straight off the sea

Snowing here now :D

How did North Louth end up with so much precipitation, given what's on the radar? The GFS had forecast rather poorly in that case. You can see it developing off the Co. Down coast if you use the Met Éireann radar animation.
    The amount of snow falling has taken me by suprise; I did not expect anything more than a brief shower.

I can't understand either why Met Éireann forecast sleet and rain at low levels when there are circa -9 or -10 850 hPa temperatures above parts of the east coast. The dewpoints were high enough last night, although they were bound to fall. They did fall, when the cold airmass reached us.

Lol, I imagine the forecast changed when the Eagle saw snowflakes falling outside his house in Drogheda this morning! He must have been up early; the forecast updated at around 5 AM.:)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

not a flake here, ah well.... been sunny all morning with some cloud, windy and dry.

No snow fell here for the last 40 minutes but it has started again. Big flakes but they are falling lightly. The sky to the northwest and north is quite dark.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Showers will turn more sleety in the afternoon but tonight is another story:D ;)

Very juicy precip about 30 miles east of Dublin on the noon radar and also just off the coast of me.
    Heading sw
    It should hit Dublin (thats a bigger blob) but most of it will go to south Dublin and East wicklow.

The temp is dropping like a stone here.
    Now 1.9c with a 15mph NE wind

Snow soon I'd say :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭tvbrat

Earthman wrote:

The temp is dropping like a stone here.
    Now 1.9c with a 15mph NE wind

Snow soon I'd say :)

Snow is belting down here in Dublin City
    large flakes, nice and heavy

That didnt take long

Mighty snow shower here now ,big big flakes :D

Temp now 1.6c and falling rapid

DP -1c

Fierce snow storm now in a howling wind.
    Visibility down to about 200mtrs or less in a howling wind with big flakes.

This is feckin brilliant :D

At 1210 a very heavy hail/frozen rain shower broke out. It accumulated quickly along eastern walls and I was able to make a snowball or two. It lasted ten minutes and at the end of the shower, hail a quarter of an inch thick fell. It only lasted about twenty seconds but it was quite impressive to watch. After a minute it started snowing with big flakes, then there was a pause. Now it has started again, although lightly.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

im totally unlucky.. nice summers day here except for the temperature:(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Some more prolonged intense activity heading for the Dublin coast. Should arrive soon. Disappointing to hear about hail already:)

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭mayotom

Just had a small sprinking of snow in Galway city

There was also hail here at about 09:45 AM here. The heaviest precipitation here has fallen as frozen rain/hail for some reason...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,263 ✭✭✭highdef

Dull with flurries of snow but when it gets heavy it is a mix of snow and sleet and snow grains but no hail

• Advertisement

one big echo heading straight for Dublin,and they are starting to que up out their one after the other,cmon the Irish sea

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement