Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow on paddys day?!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Now that the clouds have cleared to the west, I can see that the horizon due west of me is white. Mt. Oriel to the WNW of me is also white near the top and at the peak. It might be an intersting drive later, to go to the top of that hill. It is 825 ft. high.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Hah been light snowing here basically all morning:D

But no accumalation.. does accumalate in the heavier but melts
    but the ground is still quite dry..

There has always been a flake in the air since 9am;)

ANd looking like more intense echoes heading in from an active Irrish sea

Ahh great to see an Easterly can even deliver on March 16th:D :D

we need a nice juicy shower!!

A moderate one now:D ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Very heavy snow here, huge flakes:D

This looks prolonged:D

• Advertisement

one thing i have notcied has been that there is alot more actual fluffy snowflakes then there was last late FEB 2005 where most of it was
    hail;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

one thing i have notcied has been that there is alot more actual fluffy snowflakes then there was last late FEB 2005 where most of it was
    hail;)
    The opposite happened to me, Weathercheck. February 2005 was an all-snow event. There was some sleet on the first day of the easterly, after heavy snow early in the morning. The following night then gave us about 2 inches.

There has been a lot of hail today.

Turning quite sleety here now. Still some flakes though.

Good news is showers should keep going all day and night
    but i wouldnt be reliant on the radar in these situations especially
    for intensity;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,947 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Heavy wet snow in leixlip, huge flakes a while ago, any chance of accumalations tonight?

• Advertisement

Although heavy snow here but getting increasingly marginal.

as i head off.. its light fluffy snow here , ground getting wetter though so
    sticking is becoming more unlikely unless we get a heavy shower:)

Snowing here non stop for an hour and 15 mins now.

It gets light into flurries and then gets heavy again.
    The sky gets black up wind each time it gets heavy which is a good sign as it could mean we are in a streamer :D

It's not really sticking though

Temp 1.1c DP -2c and we are in the middle of one of our heavier bursts :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Heavy snow for 35mins now temp1.6c dp -0.2
    Nice heavy shower again with a good downdraught accumulating it against walls

summary.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 15,947 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Nice big flakes here again, if only we could have got this in Jan or Feb it might have accumlated. Nice to watch though

Dry now and the temp is back on the rise again but the DP is still ok.

Theres a lot of activity out in the Irish sea now and the wind is actually veering ENE which is great as it will probably bring it on :)

Some VERY big flakes here. GFS shows rain for 00z Friday but snow for 06z Friday. So essentially showers turning to rain or sleet before turning back to snow later tonight or early tomorrow morning.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Spit a few bits in Galway city, out towards Dangan anyway, still cloudy and very cold.
    I'm headin up to Dublin this evening so I should get to see some action then I hope.

Stopped now, sun coming out. My gut feeling we will be on the wrong side of marginal for the next few hours. Hopefully good precip off the Irish sea tonight;)

• Advertisement

And its back mad as ever-big huge flakes and no sign of sleet in it at all :D

darkman2 wrote:
    Some VERY big flakes here. GFS shows rain for 00z Friday but snow for 06z Friday. So essentially showers turning to rain or sleet before turning back to snow later tonight or early tomorrow morning.:D
    Ah you wouldnt want to mind them,they dont know whether they are coming or going :D

(as regards where precip is)

Looks like sunshine and sleet and snow showers from now on for the East. Some beefy stuff could develope in the Irish sea in these conditions and lower temperatures tonight;) 2C at the moment.

Earthman wrote:
    Ah you wouldnt want to mind them,they dont know whether they are coming or going :D

(as regards where precip is)

I think GFS has come closet to getting it spot on tbh in the short term:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

finally had a few flakes of snow which lasted for 3 minutes, sun back out now, thats prolly all i'll see here:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Just come in out of a resonably heavy snow shower here in Carlow town, a few light flurries before hand. Sun out now but the ground dryed off pretty quick.

No rain, no sleet.............snow from the word GO :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

going to be attacked again in the next hour from the sea,looks good.Sun out and drying pretty quickly,dp -1c
    temp 2.4c and rising for now.
    Hopefully we are all a bit happy at the sight of the white stuff,now when the sun goes down the temp will fall and you will never know,stick snow stick

Its possible but showers wont be heavy and frequent tonight even on the east coast. There are no troughs following on and pressure is too high really at 1032hpa. Also Irish sea temps will be around 4 or 5 C by tonight so very marginal on coasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Another bit of a flurry here, looks like it could get heavier soon.....

• Advertisement

A good shower about to come onto the North Dublin coast. Looks like a snow shower and a bit beefy too:rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement