Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is There A Serious Crime Problem In Dublin?

Options
  • 14-03-2006 6:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭

With all of the shootings and killings, is dublin safe?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

It's as safe as ever. It's as safe as most cities. The shootings/killings that you see plastered all over the newspapers are usually gang-related (i.e. They're killing each other.)
    ... much like Limerick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

i really donot think dublin is safe, its getting worse every week.and its going to keep getting worse as the police cannot even catch the involved.drugs are readly available and the gangs cannot be caught ,so what are the guards doing.Just wasting tax payers money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Eru

drdre wrote:
    i really donot think dublin is safe, its getting worse every week.and its going to keep getting worse as the police cannot even catch the involved.drugs are readly available and the gangs cannot be caught ,so what are the guards doing.Just wasting tax payers money.

Ok then so lets just not have a police force at all eh? Sure the boys in O'Connell Street would have gotten tired and gone home anyway.

And the Gardai have arrested people in all of the murders/shootings this year and its hardly our fault a suspect dies of natural causes now is it???

BTW, if the suspect and victim are both drug dealers who wont give statements against eachother does that mean the Gardai arent doing a decent job or protecting the innocent people of this nation?

Gardai are largely unarmed and unprotected. We use basic cars, basic radios and have to buy most of our own equipment yet Ireland remains one of the safest countries in the world and the Gardai ranks amongst the top in solving crime (1st in Murder detections) so please think before speaking.

...drugs are readly available...
    You say it like it's a bad thing?

Of course it's not "safe". No city or town is safe. You take the obvious and usual precuations, and hope that you're not in the wrong place at the wrong time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

Karoma wrote:
    Of course it's not "safe". No city or town is safe.

That's rubbish to be honest. The vast majority of people get on with their normal daily lives without problem. Many worry about crime, much the same as many worry about catching bird flu. It's currently a hot media topic. Suddenly people start to percieve a problem even though they've never experienced it.

Any lawbreaking I've witnessed has been anti-social rather than dangerous to others (people being a nusiance, or smoking on the bus).

As commented on already, most of the serious crime is committed by scumbags on other scumbags. There is the occasional and tragic exception but it it exactly that - an exception.

I'm not suggesting that the current level of crime is OK. Anti-social behaviour certainly isn't. Just pointing out that there's no need to worry when leaving your house!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

drdre wrote:

Ah yeah...just focus on the bad.
    Totally ignore all the great accomplishments of the Gardaí.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Binomate

You're safe so long as you stay on the south side. I heard there are people walking about with Uzi's and AK47's on the Northside.

Binomate wrote:
    You're safe so long as you stay on the south side.

.... like.... Tallaght?

Bendibus: note the "'s... bah. Really not going to spell it out for you. No town or city is without any potential danger. That is all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Binomate

Karoma wrote:
    .... like.... Tallaght?

Bendibus: note the "'s... bah. Really not going to spell it out for you. No town or city is without any potential danger. That is all.
    Nah, that's loike the focking west soide loike. I'm talking about donnybrook loike. Anywhere within loike a mile radius of Brian O' D meight!

Bah. Crumlin? You get the point. :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

It's been said before, is anywhere really safe????

Wrong time, wrong place....pretty much covers it.

karlitosway put it the way it is. We are generally a safe country.

Gardai have limited resources yet do a good job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

dont believe what you read in the papers. yes there are murders but the papers are trying to put every murder to GANGLAND as it sells.

controversy, scandal, gossip sells. the papers make up what they want.

i know of one of the so-called gang members that was shot. 2 or 3 pages about him in the herald but he never sold drugs or had associations with drugs dealers. the person that shot him was a drug figure but his death was not connected with drugs. the herald, along with ALL other tabs would have you believing the based the movie scarface on him.

if someone is considering where to move to in dublin, then the solution to possible problems is location location location. there is a drug problem in Finglas. there is a drug problem in malahide. choosing a house that costs double of another doesnt necessarily mean your kids will be cocooned away from drugs. there everywhere. not just in dublin, country wide.

choose wisely

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Who reads the Herald?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭half_dead

FFS!:rolleyes:

Would ya's all grow the f**k up...!

Scumbags beating the hell outta each other, crime...etc. fine its a city, what d'ya expect... this north-side South-side crap is wearing really thin...

(And before ya's have a go, yes I live in Galway, yes I'm originally from Dublin, Yes I've lived on both sides of the inner-city and subs of the city and grew up going to school in James St. CBS...)

Ppl like some of ya's are the reason punters from Limerick need to ask questions like this.... CHRIST!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Karoma wrote:

It's as safe as ever. It's as safe as most cities. The shootings/killings that you see plastered all over the newspapers are usually gang-related (i.e. They're killing each other.)
    ... much like Limerick.

See, a couple of years ago, when there was a spate of Gangland killings in Limerick, the whole nation automatically jumped on the bandwagon, and attacked Limerick.
    During the almost year of these killings in Limerick, there was less shootings than there has been in Dublin in the last month or so, but still, as demonstrated above, people go on, and on.
    They ignore the fact that after all the hoopla, there wasn't a single murder in Limerick(of any kind gangland or not), in something like 14 months! Limerick has a lower crime rate per capita than Cork, Galway or Dublin.
    T&#225 wrote: »
    dont believe what you read in the papers. yes there are murders but the papers are trying to put every murder to GANGLAND as it sells.
    God knows the media are mostly to blame(not for the actual murders obviously, although...:D )!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Nowhere is 100% safe, but compared to a lot of cities around the world, Dublin is not bad. If you know your way around and where to go and not to go, you will be usually be OK, much like anywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Same as anywhere, the media overplay the problems. Dublin, Limerick, wherever, it isn't really important.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

God, Limerick people doing 30 page posts about how theyre city is overrated in the crime stakes is almost as boring and pointless as travellers complaining of prejudice.

FFS, yis elected that Kelly fella as your fcuking mayor! Dublin has its problems, but Limerick folk really ought to admit that their gangs have a brand of viciousness that is not seen in Cork and Galway (two cities which are only slightly bigger/smaller but that have never, to my knowledge, suffered long periods of near daily gun violence). Its a city where a gang war was sparked by a fight between 2 schoolgirls. Where a grandmother drove the car whilst her son commited a drive by. And where one of the cities most feared gang leaders gave an interview to RTE in his vest and underpants :D John Gotti must have been spinning in his Versace interior lined coffin.

Kelly wasn't elected mayor but I guess you've the usual thin grasp on facts as most people who criticise Limerick/North Dublin/Anywhere-the-Herald-cares-to-invent-news-about yeah? There's only been one or two murders in Limerick in the last 2 years, funnily enough, since the Gardai were given the resources to deal with a city Limerick's size. However I expect you to cheerfully ignore the facts and continue on in your ignorance. Same as North Dublin, people who only want to hear the bad news stories will only hear the bad news stories.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

See, a couple of years ago, when there was a spate of Gangland killings in Limerick, the whole nation automatically jumped on the bandwagon, and attacked Limerick.
    During the almost year of these killings in Limerick, there was less shootings than there has been in Dublin in the last month or so, but still, as demonstrated above, people go on, and on.
    They ignore the fact that after all the hoopla, there wasn't a single murder in Limerick(of any kind gangland or not), in something like 14 months! Limerick has a lower crime rate per capita than Cork, Galway or Dublin.

God knows the media are mostly to blame(not for the actual murders obviously, although...:D )!
    let them think what they want to think
    the only reason they bring Limerick into this is because there worried there city might be thought as worse
    well if any of you people actually bothered to go to limerick you would know thats its the same if not safer

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

KarmaFaerie- Wasnt there a young lad shot dead in a village just outside the city last year? There was also quite a few non fatal gun attacks.The gun crime has only declined because 30- 40 of the main instigators are now locked up, with several other key figures dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 nyc-dublin

dublin has to one of the safest cities IN THE WORLD
    i live in queens nyc about 5 yrs now but am origanally from dublin, nyc is the SAFEST BIG city in america
    but still averages out at bout 500-600 murders a year
    (its been decreasing every yr since 1990 when it hit its all time high of 2200 murders in that one year!!) crime rates are at levels not seen since the '50s

dublins problem is with young scumbags, no respect for the law drunken at weekends, causing hassle on the streets - somethin which is not really seen here because police do not let anybody away with what is called quality of life crimes

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Tha Gopher wrote:
    God, Limerick people doing 30 page posts about how theyre city is overrated in the crime stakes is almost as boring and pointless as travellers complaining of prejudice.

FFS, yis elected that Kelly fella as your fcuking mayor! Dublin has its problems, but Limerick folk really ought to admit that their gangs have a brand of viciousness that is not seen in Cork and Galway (two cities which are only slightly bigger/smaller but that have never, to my knowledge, suffered long periods of near daily gun violence). Its a city where a gang war was sparked by a fight between 2 schoolgirls. Where a grandmother drove the car whilst her son commited a drive by. And where one of the cities most feared gang leaders gave an interview to RTE in his vest and underpants :D John Gotti must have been spinning in his Versace interior lined coffin.

Could you have validated my point anymore?!
    As Amazo pointed out, he wasn't voted mayor, he wasn't even nominated as a mayoral candidate.
    That bulls***e about the two schoolgirls is just that! Bulls***e!!!
    The feud in Limerick happened over drugs, the two girls was an excuse.
    I see nobody made reference to the fact that i pointed out the limerick has less crime per capita than Cork, Galway or Dublin!

Tha Gopher wrote:
    KarmaFaerie- Wasnt there a young lad shot dead in a village just outside the city last year? There was also quite a few non fatal gun attacks.The gun crime has only declined because 30- 40 of the main instigators are now locked up, with several other key figures dead.

There are shootings in Part of Dublin every other day aswell.
    Yes there was a man from Limerick killed in Claire late last year, but as I said, In a city with a greater population of 110,000, one murder in 14 months is bloody amazing, and shows what a goodjob the gardai were doing!

You're wasting your energy Karma. I thought you realised everything Paul McWilliams writes is true?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Eru

I thought you realised everything Paul McWilliams writes is true?

Paul Williams is a good writer and he is obviously pissing someone off if he needs 24 armed protection.

As for Limerick, nice place destroyed by a few bad people, isn't the same everywhere?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭tom-thebox

Ok then so lets just not have a police force at all eh? Sure the boys in O'Connell Street would have gotten tired and gone home anyway.

Are you insinuating that the boys in blue had a victory at the O'Connell Street riots? How much damage was caused in the city? How many arrests were made 20 scape goats or so?

I think the coppers lacked control from what I saw on media coverage, and their bullyboy tactics like those used in the reclaim the streets assaults where over powered by a small group of the local public.

And the Gardai have arrested people in all of the murders/shootings this year and its hardly our fault a suspect dies of natural causes now is it???.

Nice statement, it gave me a giggle.
    BTW, if the suspect and victim are both drug dealers who wont give statements against eachother does that mean the Gardai arent doing a decent job or protecting the innocent people of this nation?

In a lot of cases is the victim not dead? Is that not where Evidence kicks in? I hear xtravision have columbo on dvd ... maybe the old bill can pick up a few pointers.

Gardai are largely unarmed and unprotected. We use basic cars, basic radios and have to buy most of our own equipment yet Ireland remains one of the safest countries in the world and the Gardai ranks amongst the top in solving crime (1st in Murder detections) so please think before speaking.

You should give bertie a call ask him for some more money.

Paul Williams is a good writer and he is obviously pissing someone off if he needs 24 armed protection.

As for Limerick, nice place destroyed by a few bad people, isn't the same everywhere?

He is an overly sensationalist hype writer. I'm not questioning his bravery.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

tom-thebox wrote:
    I think the coppers lacked control from what I saw on media coverage, and their bullyboy tactics like those used in the reclaim the streets assaults where over powered by a small group of the local public.

The Gardai were under resourced for the march, this was not the fault of the Gardai on the ground. These were young members drafted in from surrounding stations who if had a choice would not have been there at all.

They might have seemed to have lacked control as instead of policing a bunch of thugs, they found themselves outnumbered and basically tried to defend themselves.

As for the scapegoats, 20?? I dont think so.

About 40 arrests were made on the day. Another 20-30 presented themselves to Store St Garda station in the days after the riots, knowing full well that the gardai had identified them and would be calling to arrest them at their homes.

This usually takes place at 6:30am and involves alot of gardai. Not a pleasant experience. Its up to the judiciary after that what sentences are imposed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

I'm from crumlin and i've never felt safer, the whole town is cleaner then its ever been, i've never had trouble in town (i work in there). I have to say the whole place is picking up

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭ishmael whale

..... the Gardai ranks amongst the top in solving crime (1st in Murder detections) so please think before speaking.
    Can you back this up with a link?

Just to be clear, I’m not slagging off individual gardai. But we do need to wonder about the effectiveness of the force as a whole. The Morris Tribunal was hardly the greatest endorsement of the organisation.

The Garda annual report says the detection rate is about 77%. A quick google suggests the rate in the UK is 92%. This is hardly grounds for complacency, particularly if the impression is that there’s a criminal underworld confident that it can avoid conviction. (And to clarify – does ‘detection rate’ mean only cases where someone is convicted, or does it include people who the Gardai suspect are the culprits but have not actually be found guilt of the offence.)

For what its worth, I’ve often wondered about how effective the Garda training school can be, given its isolation in the boonies. (Its one of those things we don’t think about too much, and if we do we’re too easily put off by some vague nonsense like ‘Templemore is renowned throughout the world’ even though we know in our hearts and souls its not.) They really need to relocate it to the campus of a third level institution, where it could form useful links. Even with that, you’d still be left with the same management personnel.
    http://www.lga.gov.uk/ccn/pdfs/16%20March%202004%20-%20Detection%20Rates.pdf

‘‘If you look at our detection rates for the most serious crimes like murder,
    then our detection rates are 92%. If you look at serious drug offences our detection rates are up there in the 80s.’

Advertisement