Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is There A Serious Crime Problem In Dublin?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

With all of the shootings and killings, is dublin safe?
    Id love to answer the question but somone nicked my laptop last night from the boot of my car :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭DilbertPartII

tom-thebox wrote:
    You should give bertie a call ask him for some more money.

Not trying to start a flamewar here, but why oh why does Ireland need an army? Between the Irish Rangers, regulars, and the reserve defence not to mention the woeful air force and navy, vast sums of cash are poured into nothing, as far as I can see. At most, and I mean most, we need a small, mobile force with access to the latest technology, and maybe some fast naval interceptors.

I mean who the hell is going to invade us?

So we could scrap the rest, and delegate their duties and funding to the Gardaí, which as far as I can see would put the Guards where they should be in any case, as well as giving them the manpower to take care of problems properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Can you back this up with a link?

Just to be clear, I’m not slagging off individual gardai. But we do need to wonder about the effectiveness of the force as a whole. The Morris Tribunal was hardly the greatest endorsement of the organisation.

The Garda annual report says the detection rate is about 77%. A quick google suggests the rate in the UK is 92%. This is hardly grounds for complacency, particularly if the impression is that there’s a criminal underworld confident that it can avoid conviction. (And to clarify – does ‘detection rate’ mean only cases where someone is convicted, or does it include people who the Gardai suspect are the culprits but have not actually be found guilt of the offence.)

For what its worth, I’ve often wondered about how effective the Garda training school can be, given its isolation in the boonies. (Its one of those things we don’t think about too much, and if we do we’re too easily put off by some vague nonsense like ‘Templemore is renowned throughout the world’ even though we know in our hearts and souls its not.) They really need to relocate it to the campus of a third level institution, where it could form useful links. Even with that, you’d still be left with the same management personnel.

In Limerick the garda cetection rate for murders is above 94%, which is pretty impressive, not sure of national figures though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Not trying to start a flamewar here, but why oh why does Ireland need an army? Between the Irish Rangers, regulars, and the reserve defence not to mention the woeful air force and navy, vast sums of cash are poured into nothing, as far as I can see. At most, and I mean most, we need a small, mobile force with access to the latest technology, and maybe some fast naval interceptors.

I mean who the hell is going to invade us?

So we could scrap the rest, and delegate their duties and funding to the Gardaí, which as far as I can see would put the Guards where they should be in any case, as well as giving them the manpower to take care of problems properly.

For a country that spent 800 years fighting for independance, the threat of invasion is always going to hang there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Wanderer222

For a country that spent 800 years fighting for independance, the threat of invasion is always going to hang there!

Ah I don't see it. In this age of nuclear deterrence and us owning the east coast of America, things have changed a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

us owning the east coast of America, things have changed a bit.

Tell that to everybody bellow the Mason-Dixie line!

"The South will Rise again!!!"
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭Schuhart

the Mason-Dixie line!
    You mean Mason-Dixon line.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mason-Dixon_line The Mason–Dixon Line (or "Mason and Dixon's Line") is a line of demarcation between states in the United States. Properly, the Mason-Dixon line is part of the borders of Pennsylvania, Delaware, and Maryland, surveyed when they were still British colonies.
    And just to be a complete pain in the arse, the term Dixie does not seem to be connected with the Mason Dixon Line, but is more likely to be related to ten-dollar bills issued by a bank in Louisiana, labeled "Dix" and known as "Dixies" by English-speaking southerners. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dixie#Origin_of_Dixie)

Aren’t you glad you asked. Oh, you didn’t. Sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Molly Malone

Where's Lugs Brannigan when you need him :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Eru

Where's Lugs Brannigan when you need him :D

Lugs would be before a judge himself if he was still walking the beat! Amazing how famous and respected 1 copper became.

Your not the first too state this but believe it or not part of the reason why they are seperate (not just Ireland but most nations) is so neither can become too powerful. The theory being that the armies superior weapons and equipment would equal the police manpower and quicker mobilisation. Now before Im attacked, Im not saying this is right or wrong merely stating one of the factors but when you think about it, many nations which a ruled by dictators and/or suffered violent coups are usually policed by the military.

In Ireland a soldier cannot be a Garda reserve and a Garda cannot be a military reserve. In the states the police can be military reserves.

On a personal level I believes Irelands unique situation would allow both forces too be merged without risk of anything close to a coup. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭TapouT

nyc-dublin wrote:
    dublin has to one of the safest cities IN THE WORLD
    i live in queens nyc about 5 yrs now but am origanally from dublin, nyc is the SAFEST BIG city in america
    but still averages out at bout 500-600 murders a year
    (its been decreasing every yr since 1990 when it hit its all time high of 2200 murders in that one year!!) crime rates are at levels not seen since the '50s

dublins problem is with young scumbags, no respect for the law drunken at weekends, causing hassle on the streets - somethin which is not really seen here because police do not let anybody away with what is called quality of life crimes

I'm just back from NYC and have to say this is probably one of the better replies in the thread so far. Its little scumbags roaming the streets which makes life hard for us all. And sorry, I have to say it, a certain laziness on behalf of some Guard's!. I have alot of respect for the guardai but a certain few are nothing but lazy ass's. Maybe its the system that makes them turn lazy, lack of motivation, I don't know.

But lets not put lazy guards into the same catagory as scumbags.

Great reply mate.

• Advertisement
Advertisement