Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS3 delayed till November

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

Hold On, Forgot The Ps3.
    Psp = Psone Emulator ????????????????? thats Amazing

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,767 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm pretty skeptical about the worldwide release date and Sony getting anywhere near the production numbers they expect especially given Sony's addiction to bull****. Seems quite an impressive machine but don't like the media centre stuff that is trying to mimick the xbox media centre philosophy. I just feel I'll be paying more for something that I will never use. 60GB HDD is a surprise and a welcome one at that. Now all I need is a genre defining game, or at least a decent game, that will make me go out and buy low build quality first generation Sony equipment again. I'm a sucker but if there's something on it as groundbreaking as Mario 64 I'll be getting it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

Hey when can we pre order them in store?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,767 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

LookingFor wrote:
    The psychology of consumers is WAY more complicated than that. Sony has maintained a premium over other systems quite successfully before. It's not so much about price, but generating a true desire for a system. If people really want one system more than another, they won't mind paying more for it, and in fact the higher price can make a product oddly more attractive (can make other systems look "cheap"..). It's not like PS3 doesn't have the goods to support that..there's definitely a premium of features there.

I hope it isn't ridiculously expensive. I hope they remember why the PS1 was so successful and how they stole the show at E3, Sega hammering on about how great their 400 dollar saturn was and the Sony representative just walks up to the microphone and says '300 dollars'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,585 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Seems quite an impressive machine but don't like the media centre stuff that is trying to mimick the xbox media centre philosophy.

Seems to me that their approach to handling your media is almost the exact opposite of that of the 360. Microsoft want everything played through your XBox 360, in your living room. They'll play from your iPod, from your Media Centre PC, or from your USB harddrive. Sony, on the other hand, are positioning the PS3 as a HUB - stick your MP3s (or ATRAC, probably!) and movies onto your PS3, and play them from your stereo in the bedroom, or stream them onto your PSP when you're downtown at a WiFi hotspot. The huge obstacle with this is what limits are imposed wrt the devices that can stream stuff from the PS3. Knowing Sony, they'll limit it to Sony-only kit, cripple it with DRM and let another great idea die a death. We'll see.

• Advertisement

Still all these features and I won't bother using them. Not many people use these features, they just seem there to seem atrattive and to sell the console to people who aren't going to use them either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭MontgomeryClift

This machine sounds like it'll be a right mess. And a worldwide launch in November? Don't believe it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

While these extra features might not sound too appealing, you might be surprised with how useful they are when you get the console.

I know when I got a 360 I didn't care about the Media Centre features or the Xbox Live Marketplace but a few months of owning the console and I really, really appreciate them. I've probably spent nearly as many hours watching videos on it as I have playing games, and I think anyone who's been following reviews will know how valuable the Xbox Live Arcade is. Of course thats partially due to a lack of releases(until this month) but it just goes to show that the console will stay entertaining even during those inevitable droughts of good games that sometimes occur for a few months.

Obviously I'm talking about the 360 now and I don't know if the PS3 will be better or worse, but I'm an optimist :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

Nice to see it's finally got a concrete release date. I doubt you will be looking at <€500 for one of these, 60gb 2.5 drive (OK, so there is confusion over it's inclusion) , Blue-Ray and Cell processor, those alone are going to bump up the cost significantly, I know I heard a $700-900 price tag being thrown around (and no less than $420) . Who knows how much it will be, but my guess would be too much, especially considering the launch drought that all consoles go through (unless Sony have a trick up there sleve... which doesn't start with E and end in A).

Will be interesting to see what, if anything, MS does with it's 1 year headstart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

The news comes as no suprise to me, infact it is the best news I have heard in a long while. People on an earlier thread said that the PS3 would be delayed, but there you go, you were wrong. Sorry for rubbing your faces in it. When will we be able to preorder it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

It was delayed :confused:

The release that Sony was sticking to was Spring up untill this event.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Global release? Nice sentiment...never gonna work though. At least they're trying to stop the import/export/ebay bullsh*t, but I guarantee you europe will get a toe up the hole as usual and not see it till this time next year. I like the legacy SD -> HD though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Wertz wrote:
    Global release? Nice sentiment...never gonna work though. At least they're trying to stop the import/export/ebay bullsh*t, but I guarantee you europe will get a toe up the hole as usual and not see it till this time next year. I like the legacy SD -> HD though

Can you prove this? I would think not. So instead of adding to more rumours, just talk about the facts. The facts being that, sony has said today that there will be a worldwide release in November. And you cannot gurantee anyone anything unless you can back it up, now can you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

I won't hold Sony to the supply numbers given here - lots of companies never meet supply targets - but I think November is solid. It's a commitment they've made now. When they said "Spring 2006" they never even said the territory, they were very vague. You now have everyone from SCEA to SCEE announcing this seperately for each of their territories.

Another element which is encouraging is the fact that the reason for the delay is not hardware related - it's Blu-ray copy protection, which is a software issue. They should be able to start manufacturing it in the Summer, to supply three territories in Nov.
    Seems to me that their approach to handling your media is almost the exact opposite of that of the 360.

I was going to say. For starters, they've announced it as a media server, not just a renderer as 360 is. The PSP<->PS3 media sharing is something MS can't mimic, beyond sharing PSP's music with 360 - I'm talking using your PSP to browse media on your PS3, and stream it to your PSP, locally or even over the net. Beyond that, the functionality could be very open if Sony makes it UPnP compliant..and with Linux on every HDD, there's obviously room there for very open homebrew developments.

I'll dig this thread up in november, when we get shafted. The Asian and US markets are of far more importance and way less hassle to Sony (and other console manafacturers) than Europe. It'll either play out like the 360 global release (ie with not nearly enough machines to meet demand) or else we'll be told a month beforehand that the EU launch is being moved back for quality of service issues. They originally promised a US/EU combo launch for the PSP and look how that went down.

Heck I hope I'm wrong, but I'm sure I'm not. It's not rumour mongering; it's going on past experience.

I would rather we got it a little late... keep away any temptations I might have to destroy my savings!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Wertz wrote:
    They originally promised a US/EU combo launch for the PSP and look how that went down.

yes but look at the state of the US psp. they had to re-design the US one because screens were dying left, right and center. europe got a delay but in the end we didn't have all of the horrible screen problems (we had a lot, but not nearly as much as US consumers) and that odd button problem.

this time come april, the ps3 will be finished. e3 will see PLAYABLE consoles (my little birdie confirmed that to me, looks "very likely" that killzone2 will make a very big impression on sony's e3 booths) and sony will have an entire summer to manufacter the console.

360's shipping problem was down to chip yields (they make huge sheets of processors, then cut them all out of this huge sheet... the yield is the % of those chips that work). 360 was rushed out asap so they were trying to develop new ways to manufacter the chip while trying to satisfy consumer demand. sony will have had months of practise before selling to the customer.

as for homebrew on linuxOS for ps3... be wary. sony will have updated firmware a-la psp which could very well block a lot of homebrew. one reason the hdd isn't 100gb+ is so that if people find ways to rip ps3 games, they'll be limited with space. sony already has loads of cool little updates they'll roll out over a number of months to entice you to upgrade your firmware (though sony may also implement a compulsary updater so when you log onto HUB it patches your system for you).

finally, one of the first psp games to come out in the "ps3 generation" will be killzone: liberation. that'll be the first major release to show psp interaction to ps3. though killzone2 wont be out for a few months after ps3's release

as for homebrew on linuxOS for ps3... be wary. sony will have updated firmware a-la psp which could very well block a lot of homebrew. one reason the hdd isn't 100gb+ is so that if people find ways to rip ps3 games, they'll be limited with space. sony already has loads of cool little updates they'll roll out over a number of months to entice you to upgrade your firmware (though sony may also implement a compulsary updater so when you log onto HUB it patches your system for you).

"Firmware updates" to the main PS3 OS would not affect the Linux distro.

Kutaragi has talked before about the prospect of including Linux on PS3 hard drives - at the time it was just an idea he was considering - and his motivation for doing so was to encourage open development in the community on Cell. They need to encourage software development on Cell. I'll try and dig up precise quotes for you, but homebrew or bedroom coding should def be on the cards. I would have no interest in that for illegal ends, but the idea of bedroom game coding and the like is really attractive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

yes but look at the state of the US psp. they had to re-design the US one because screens were dying left, right and center. europe got a delay but in the end we didn't have all of the horrible screen problems (we had a lot, but not nearly as much as US consumers) and that odd button problem.
    Source? Never heard of this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

LookingFor wrote:
    "Firmware updates" to the main PS3 OS would not affect the Linux distro.

Kutaragi has talked before about the prospect of including Linux on PS3 hard drives - at the time it was just an idea he was considering - and his motivation for doing so was to encourage open development in the community on Cell. They need to encourage software development on Cell. I'll try and dig up precise quotes for you, but homebrew or bedroom coding should def be on the cards. I would have no interest in that for illegal ends, but the idea of bedroom game coding and the like is really attractive.

yes they will want to encourage coding but as soon as someone posts on ps3updates that they've got an ISO loader type jobbie i guarintee you suddenly all the cool codes you were working on will die a horrible death
    Ciaran500 wrote:
    Source? Never heard of this.

can't find any good links atm but if you look at any psp type forums and have a look back at the launch of the US psp you'll find all these bugs

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

You can bet your bottom dollar that if the hd does ship in linux preloaded it will be a closed system. They aint going to let you get any home brew or 3rd party stuff on there. This is sony were talking about after all!!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I'd imagine that it won't boot into linux when you're playing games, and will leave linux if you're already in it. If that's the case then they could implement a scheme whereby you can run homebrew stuff through linux, but they strictly control what runs in 'game mode'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭wayne040576

stevenmu wrote:
    I'd imagine that it won't boot into linux when you're playing games, and will leave linux if you're already in it. If that's the case then they could implement a scheme whereby you can run homebrew stuff through linux, but they strictly control what runs in 'game mode'.

If they're going the linux route, they'll have no choice but to have some aspects of it open. But as you said, they will probably aim to keep the aiming side of it well away from the linux. They essentially just want a gaming console that allows you to also boot into a desktop OS. Of course with these multi core processors, in theory you should be able to have a desktop OS running on one and the games running on another. I have read about a few companies that are implementing a similar model for the PC where you can different OS's running on different processor cores and switch between them without dual booting. Can't remember the name of the company off hand. Have to search google.

Just to be totally clear, the "main" PS3 OS, the one with the crossbar media interface etc. will be completely seperate from this Linux OS that'll come with the HDD.

FWIW, someone on another board translated Kutaragi's comments around this from a video feed on famitsu.com, and he said that it was there specifically for developers and programmers, so it should be obvious they will let you code apps to run in linux on it. Those apps obviously won't run in the "main" OS.

Wertz wrote:
    I'll dig this thread up in november, when we get shafted. The Asian and US markets are of far more importance and way less hassle to Sony (and other console manafacturers) than Europe. It'll either play out like the 360 global release (ie with not nearly enough machines to meet demand) or else we'll be told a month beforehand that the EU launch is being moved back for quality of service issues. They originally promised a US/EU combo launch for the PSP and look how that went down.

Heck I hope I'm wrong, but I'm sure I'm not. It's not rumour mongering; it's going on past experience.

Yeah. I mean WTF do I know?

Haha, quality Wertz, you should be ripping people off with that future seeing mind of yours!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 353 ✭✭eezarthegreat

HA! I could see this coming a mile away....hee hee oh I'm smiling, since the xbox360 release I've been so happy to hear any bad news regarding the ps3. Working in retail in Dublin means I get the chance to advise on getting a 360 :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

Just re-read this entire thread, was interesting to read peoples opinions from 6 months ago to see what was rumour & what panned out. Wertz that was quality.
    People on an earlier thread said that the PS3 would be delayed, but there you go, you were wrong. Sorry for rubbing your faces in it.

:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Can you prove this? I would think not. So instead of adding to more rumours, just talk about the facts. The facts being that, sony has said today that there will be a worldwide release in November. And you cannot gurantee anyone anything unless you can back it up, now can you?

Here ya go buddy.

good job Wertz.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

quarryman wrote:
    Here ya go buddy.

good job Wertz.
    lol brillant, ofcourse the next thing you could is bring back a thread discussing how the ps3 will have a huge graphical improvement over the 360 :) just need to wait another few months for that answer. Am i also the only one who is thinking the ps3 will NOT have a full lunix distribution on it that you can fully access ? something else that could be brought back up again later :D

Advertisement