Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Infinite Looping?

• 14-03-2006 7:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭

Hi, I'm looking for a few points to help me pin point a problem with my comp. Every so often it appears to hit an infinite loop, by this I mean the sound card keeps repeating the last notes, or if I'm online at the time it crashes and then pick up the phone I can hear repeated sounds. The system just hangs, no BSOD, no events logged.
    It's not the op system, just installed XP pro (was W2K) and new HD , though this seemed to make it worse, happening once every day to two days.
    Updated BIOS, still the same prob... It also seems to happen more when during games or defrag. (But it has happened at other times, including idle)

Could it have something to do with the m'board having onboard sound (tho disabled) and a SBlaster card? Other comp details below

Hope you can give me some pointers so i can sort this thing out.
    Kagy

(some details not picked up)
    Processor #1
    Name: AMD Athlon
    Frequency: 1199 Mhz
    Voltage: 0.0V
    Package: (Other)

Mainboard: Transcend TS4kB
    Memory: 511 MB (115444 KB free)
    Video: NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Model 64/Model 64 Pro (Microsoft Corporation)
    Resolution: 1024 x 768 - 32 bit
    Sound: Creative Sound Blaster AudioPCI (WDM)
    Network Adapters: Winbond PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter (Generic W89C840)
    Drives/Tapes/CDROMs:
    TOSHIBA DVD-ROM SD-M1102
    LG CD-RW CED-8120B
    NERO IMAGEDRIVE2 SCSI CdRom Device
    ST360021A
    Maxtor 6Y120P0
    USB DISK 2.0 USB Device
    Floppy disk drive
    Modem: Motorola SM56 PCI Fax Modem

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

KAGY wrote:
    Could it have something to do with the m'board having onboard sound (tho disabled) and a SBlaster card?
    There's nothing terribly abnormal about running a soundcard with onboard disabled... I've done this with my last two or three PCs... shouldn't be any big deal. (even with onboard sound enabled)
    I wouldn't let the sound looping throw you off, it's pretty standard lockup behaviour.

Sounds more like overheating... have a look inside and make sure all your fans are running for a start... I've found the fans on TnT2's have a pretty short lifespan.
    Monitor your temperatures with something like mother board monitor, or failing that, check them in the BIOS after a lockup.
    An ungodly buildup of dust has also been known to kill air-flow.
    If you have spares handy, it'd be worth trying the system with a different video card or PSU.
    Check your ram in memtest86 aswell.

Advertisement