Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SU Carpark

• 14-03-2006 8:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

so how do you think security will decide which cars to clamp? Will we be forced to put "student" stickers on our windscreens?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 goodfella867

What's all this about clamping now? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

They have signs up in the SU carpark now saying if your not a student, member of staff etc. your car will be clamped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

For years they have been threatening about making car park permits mandatory, don't know why though. Its not like some slackjawed local is going to park all the way in the college and then do their shopping downtown!

And even then, what about visitors to the college? I visit now and again, would hate to be turned away for a stupid permit...

Seanie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭ArcadeFred

Well if its true then it comes a bit late in the day! It was necessary when Manor Mills was being built. Then again I'd say it'll be necessary again when Manor Mills starts charging for parking. People will do anything to avoid paying for stuff like that. As for your problem Seanie, I'd say they could have a visitors car park?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭fletch

How are they going to enforce this? Are they going to give each student and staff member a swipe card or ask us to register our number plates (what happens then if i decide to take my mam or dads car to college and not my own)...and then what happens to visitors cars....
    And we're not allowed to park on the grass or in the bicycle lanes anymore....where are we supposed to park! I've never once seen a cyclist in those lanes! I'm certainly not parking way off down past the football pitches.....I for one will be drilling off any clamp thats put on my car

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

fletch wrote:
    How are they going to enforce this? Are they going to give each student and staff member a swipe card or ask us to register our number plates (what happens then if i decide to take my mam or dads car to college and not my own)...and then what happens to visitors cars....
    And we're not allowed to park on the grass or in the bicycle lanes anymore....where are we supposed to park! I've never once seen a cyclist in those lanes! I'm certainly not parking way off down past the football pitches.....I for one will be drilling off any clamp thats put on my car

The reason you don't see any cyclists in the lanes was probably due to all the cars parked in it... Deal with the fact that you'll have to park somewhere else. I know in DCU the staff/student card allows you to park for free in some car parks. In UCD I don't think they look at individual car reg numbers (but you do have to register your car) but if you park outside the lines your clamped!

As far as i know Maynooth was th last uni where there was no clamping...

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Raghallaigh

I think we should all e-mail the SU and get them to do something about it this was not discussed at Union council and Rep's were not notified !

A guy was measuring the entrance yesterday. I guess they'll be putting up a barrier that we have to swipe our cards through? Sign is by euro car parks so the college have outsourced it...they are the same company that are doing manor mills.

Oh yeah, I'd like to see them try and clamp me when I park up on the grass ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 goodfella867

Do they still put the parking violation stickers on cars, I haven't seen them in a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

mloc123 wrote:
    Oh yeah, I'd like to see them try and clamp me when I park up on the grass ;)
    You park on the grass.
    You go to your lab.
    You come out and the car has been clamped.
    Its as simple as that, theres not much you can do about it, bar pay X euro and drive home.
    Do they still put the parking violation stickers on cars, I haven't seen them in a while.
    Yep theres 3 cars outside my window with those stickers on them at the moment.

FuzzyLogic wrote:
    Just so you's know if they put those stickers on a window and as a result it impedes ur ability to drive safely, then they are liable.

FuzzyLogic wrote:
    You park on the grass.
    You go to your lab.
    You come out and the car has been clamped.
    Its as simple as that, theres not much you can do about it, bar pay X euro and drive home.

I doubt very much they will be able to get a clamp onto the wheel when parked on the grass... but I'm sure we'll see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭ArcadeFred

I heard they're charging for parking!?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Raghallaigh

If you dont like it e-mail the Students Union here

mloc123 wrote:
    I doubt very much they will be able to get a clamp onto the wheel when parked on the grass... but I'm sure we'll see.

do you think the grass impairs the clamp somehow?? yes i can see how....

Also why would the college have to inform the union/reps (these are so far down the list) about this? all that would do would cause them hassle over something they're entitled to do whether you agree with it or not...

well I don't think it would be very easy to clamp a wheel on grass...I'll goolge it tho'

I don't mind the clamping thing, at least they'll clamp people that park in the handicap spots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

lordgoat wrote:
    Also why would the college have to inform the union/reps (these are so far down the list) about this? all that would do would cause them hassle over something they're entitled to do whether you agree with it or not...

Because its the SU carpark...Students Union ...since it's meant to represent the students, there should be a debate on the issue or at least a mention of it at union council..

Because its the SU carpark...Students Union ...since it's meant to represent the students, there should be a debate on the issue or at least a mention of it at union council..

No it's not the SU carpark. therefore it has nothing to do with them. There is no car park reserved specifically for the SU. The only car park i know that students can't park in is beside the biology building. Also all parking is free, you really have no idea how good things are. now toddle along

Because its the SU carpark...Students Union

The only reason people call it the SU carpark is because its beside the SU. Its just a general college carpark tho'

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

fletch wrote:

Oh no whatever shall we do now that inconsiderate drivers have to act responsibly and park in a manner which doesn't affect people around them???

Oh my, the moral fabric of society is crumbling. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Mach

fletch wrote:

Stop whining, just because you afraid of walking a bit. There always heaps of spaces over by the football pitch and there building a new car park over beside the all weather pitch. The bike lanes are for cyclist, the only reason you don’t see any is because there always cars parked there. You should be able to let two cars pass by one another, the other day I had to drive along the kerb just before the apartments. Then there is the option of that if you have say a 11 or 12 o’clock lecture first just come in at 10,you all just do a bit of study, or whatever to kill time .

just to remind people there is a hierarchy, it goes like this:

1. Those who drive.

2. Those who walk.

3. Those who use public transport.

So for all the people bitching about people parking on the grass etc... I'm afraid you're out ranked.

:D

mloc123 wrote:
    just to remind people there is a hierarchy, it goes like this:

1. Those who drive.

2. Those who walk.

3. Those who use public transport.

So for all the people bitching about people parking on the grass etc... I'm afraid you're out ranked.

:D

the people who are bitching about having to park on grass have cars, could you not figure that out? And where do: those who are clamped fit in to your gay list?

Mach wrote:
    Stop whining, just because you afraid of walking a bit.
    I don't want to have to walk, that's why I bought a car, I don't want to get wet! :D
    Does anybody know when they are actually gonna start enforcing the rules...if anything there seems to be a blatant flouting of them as more people are parked in the bicycle lanes than usual lol

lordgoat wrote:
    the people who are bitching about having to park on grass have cars, could you not figure that out? And where do: those who are clamped fit in to your gay list?

I meant the people bitching about people with cars parking on the grass, cycle lanes. Nothing gay about the list, I guess your a public transport person then? Oh well just tell yourself your doing it for the environment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

Why not simply park in one of the carparks with free spaces slightly further away from callan than the SU carpark?
    Do CS folk have an aversion to walking?

mloc123 wrote:
    I meant the people bitching about people with cars parking on the grass, cycle lanes. Nothing gay about the list, I guess your a public transport person then? Oh well just tell yourself your doing it for the environment.

No i have a car actually, and i have no complaints with the new system, but i don't mind walking as i'm not a fat bastard... If you go back and look at what you posted you gave out about people bitching about parking on the grass, maybe you were talking about cyclists??

And the list is almost as gay as two gay men having gay sex with two completely different gay men.

Advertisement