Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Advice when buying a Golf

Options
  • 14-03-2006 8:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭

I am thinking of buying the Golf IV I allways wanted to have. Have the finance arranged, and I'll be trading in a 99 Corsa.

I am looking for a 00-02 1.4 Comfortline.

From what I've seen on cbg.ie and carzone, and read on this board before regarding prices, everybody is just going with whatever prices are already there.

What would be a good strategy of approaching a dealer and what are the chances of bringing the price down with at least 1k ?

What are people's experiences ?

Any other advice is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I've been told by someone who knows his Golfs, that you shouldn't buy a petrol one...something to do with the running gear (clutch/gearbox) not being as strong as the ones put in the diesels and hence don't have the longevity as the diesels.

I stand to be corrected.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I don't reckon people buy Golfs for longevity, more that the interior plastics and image are good

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

I sold a 99 1.4 comfortline 5 dr in red yesterday for 6850, but it was in mint condition.
    dont expect a hugh discount off the asking prices especially on hi spec models. the running gear is very strong on petrols. there are some annoying problems with them, like boots gettting wet from snapped rear washer motors and clogging throttle bodys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭oli_ro

I don't expect to get it for nothing.

I am willing to pay up to 12K, but I was trying to get a sense how much can I negotiate, and what are the realistic price these cars are going for.

the main point of argument is what you're gonna get offered for the Corsa.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭patsyh

worth paying the extra for the comfortline, std is very basic.

main thing to look out for is the timing belt change every 55k, its a €600 job if you go to the steelers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Had a 99 Golg 1.4, found it was using a lot of Oil, 1/2 Litre every 1000 Miles, VW Garage said it was normal. You will probably need to keep a constant check on the Oil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Spitfire666

i was going to buy one as i love golfs but decided that they are just not worth the money.
    i did come accross a guy selling golfs in the 99-02 years for between 5-6500 but then i found out through a bit of detective work that they are crash/repaired jobbies so i stayed well clear.
    Theres a place near aldi(or lidl) in finglas right accross from the mobile phone repair company that had two that cheacked out all clear when i checked the regs and they had just been sold a day or two before for 6500 and 7.

Ive also been told by a mate who had both a base and comfortline golf and now a CL passat,that the CL is well worth paying up to 1500 extra for in his opinion.
    What about the bora? dont know how fixed you are on the golf but the boras go for the same money. my mates '02 passat cost 11k and was mint.

i was going to buy one as i love golfs but decided that they are just not worth the money.
    i did come accross a guy selling golfs in the 99-02 years for between 5-6500 but then i found out through a bit of detective work that they are crash/repaired jobbies so i stayed well clear.
    Theres a place near aldi(or lidl) in finglas right accross from the mobile phone repair company that had two that cheacked out all clear when i checked the regs and they had just been sold a day or two before for 6500 and 7.

Ive also been told by a mate who had both a base and comfortline golf and now a CL passat,that the CL is well worth paying up to 1500 extra for in his opinion.
    What about the bora? dont know how fixed you are on the golf but the boras go for the same money. my mates '02 passat cost 11k and was mint.
    friend of mines Boras gearbox fell out of the car at 82k miles...nuff said (99 model)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭2 Espressi

lomb wrote:
    there are some annoying problems with them, like boots gettting wet from snapped rear washer motors and clogging throttle bodys.
    This has happening in my Ibiza, and the back panel is pain in the arse to get off!
    Though I am still glad I went for the Seat instead of the Golf, it's essentially the same car for a couple of grand less...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭le-dub

The dealer will always put the price that little higher then they want as they expect you to try bargain them down and they already know what there going to sell it for. If you see a VW GOLF for €13,500 and your trading in a corsa, your bound to get the dealer down to a sale of at least €12,000 or €12,500 maximum. I would recommend looking on www.carzone.ie and there is also about 6 dealers in Swords Retail Park and a Volkswagen Dealer as well.

le-dub wrote:
    The dealer will always put the price that little higher then they want as they expect you to try bargain them down and they already know what there going to sell it for. If you see a VW GOLF for €13,500 and your trading in a corsa, your bound to get the dealer down to a sale of at least €12,000 or €12,500 maximum. I would recommend looking on www.carzone.ie and there is also about 6 dealers in Swords Retail Park and a Volkswagen Dealer as well.

you should be able to get the price down to 12500 regardless of trade in.

Pay cash and you could get more off too but in saying that, for large dealers, cash or cheaque makes no diff.

Without meaning to put the Ibiza down as i was looking for one myself for a while, the Ibiza is more a Polo then a Golf. The Leon is the Golf equivilant.

you should be able to get the price down to 12500 regardless of trade in.

Pay cash and you could get more off too but in saying that, for large dealers, cash or cheaque makes no diff.

Without meaning to put the Ibiza down as i was looking for one myself for a while, the Ibiza is more a Polo then a Golf. The Leon is the Golf equivilant.
    So what is the Altea?

I saw one this morning and it doesn't look much bigger than a Golf but is priced like a Golf.

not sure to be honest but the leon shares alot of parts with the golf and Audi A3. there more or less the same car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭Kermitt

I bought a 02 1.4 comfortline in january. paid €11,500. but got it cheap, right place right time. It was advertised at 12,900, but turned out i knew the girls fiancee, so we struck a deal. They can be heavy on oil if you drive them hard, but i've heard of little complaints if you look after them. Same with every car, if you thrash it, bits will fall off.
    I'm doing big miles at the mo (6k since jan 15th:eek: ), interesting to see how it takes them, all ok so far. As for value for money, I haven't found another car in its class to touch it for solid build and comfort.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

Kermitt wrote:
    I bought a 02 1.4 comfortline in january. paid €11,500. but got it cheap, right place right time. It was advertised at 12,900, but turned out i knew the girls fiancee, so we struck a deal. They can be heavy on oil if you drive them hard, but i've heard of little complaints if you look after them. Same with every car, if you thrash it, bits will fall off.
    I'm doing big miles at the mo (6k since jan 15th:eek: ), interesting to see how it takes them, all ok so far. As for value for money, I haven't found another car in its class to touch it for solid build and comfort.

cheap car, you did well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Lex Luthor wrote:
    So what is the Altea?

Golf Plus

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

I would thoroughly reccomend this car here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054898385

Golf GT TDI
    I know the guy selling it and went for a look at it last week....just a bit out my price range (student) at the minute. Might seem pricey for a '99 but that is the price for the TDI especially the GT model.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

There is a problem with the gearboxes on some Golfs - it's a bit of a lottery as to whether it happens to any particular car - it probably affects less than 1% of Golf petrols (1.4). Selector mechanism comes through the g/box casing!!! I used to work in a VW dealer and seen loads of Golfs/Boras do this!
    Other posters are right - go for the Comfortline as anything less is so basic. If your going for a 1.4 listen to the engine (from cold if you can) and pay attention to regular tapping noises from the engine (sounds like valve lifters but it's actually small ends). These engines have a tendancy to pink under load, some more than others - avoid ones that pink. If you like a nippy car better to buy a 1.6 as the 1.4 is under powered (52kW/75BHP).
    Bora is a good alternative and actually has a better and smoother ride than the Golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

neacy69 wrote:
    I would thoroughly reccomend this car here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054898385

Golf GT TDI
    I know the guy selling it and went for a look at it last week....just a bit out my price range (student) at the minute. Might seem pricey for a '99 but that is the price for the TDI especially the GT model.

Looks good - nice car!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

I had a 00 1.4 golf.It gave nothing but trouble from rear windscreen washer leaking to drivers door lock giving up to speedo needle having a a life of its own.I bought this car new and all these problems occurred within the first year.Very Sluggish also.Go for TDI

Update: I've found the car I was looking for, for a decent price:

confortline
    9 Mo warranty

10950E - from a Ford dealer. Wouldn't go down with 1 euro, and I was f%^$ing his head for 20 mins.
    It is a good price, compared with what I saw from the VW dealers.

On the negative side, he gave me poor price for my trade-in.
    (I've only paid the deposit, I guess I can pay the full price and keep my car, can't I)

What do you think about the golf ?

Guys, I would really appreciate some honest feedback about the deal I've made.

Thanks.

I've got a 02 1.4 CL with 38 for 12,950, or €12,000 straight. 10950 seems very close. If you're not trading your old car, don't pay full whack for the new one.

Advertisement