Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ESAT BT Dossier - Documents, complaints, wanted

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Kazu

No offense mate, but if you're down €180 and you just accept it, that's your lookout. Want to buy a bridge? I have this lovely one in London...

listen this thread is about esat billing complaints so take a run of your ****ing bridge mate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

cynos wrote:
    They havent billed me since feb 2005 and in december 2005 I asked for a copy of the bill and i'd pay what I owed
    but they couldnt produce a bill
    I get threatning letters once a week and when i ring they promise to send out the up2 date invoice, but insttead send out threats.
    also all there letters use non existant names
    Shower of C***s

My parents were with them for a year and a half - they got the first bill and never got another bill despite my ringing them hundreds of times begging them to charge us - finally after 18 months when I rang them again they said they had calculated the bill and would deduct it in one go! Was going to argue with them about spreading it out but they marked the bill paid and brought the outstanding balance to zero - but never took the money out of the bank account! My parents have left Esat now and never heard another word - that was 8 months ago.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Kazu wrote:
    listen this thread is about esat billing complaints

LOL

He (of all people) knows what this thread is about and has done far more to actively challenge BT about their crap billing than you ever did Kazu .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Kazu wrote:
    listen this thread is about esat billing complaints so take a run of your ****ing bridge mate
    Lovely.

The summer was half a year away fella, you're obviously not having much success. To them, you're a cute grey thing with a bell that occasionally goes under the sofa -- great fun, if a little frustrating at times. Don't get mad - particularly with me, I'm just telling you like it is - get even.

http://oasis.gov.ie/justice/small_claims_court/small_claims_court.html

It's "off" by the way. "Take a run off your ***ing bridge." See?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭federerfan

Maybe we should do like this guy ! :

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/manchester/4810490.stm

"Accountant sues bank over charges"

Fedfan

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭surveys

Please no 'bickering' you guys. ! Take it easy. There was too much 'infighting' in the old forums of IOFFL and thats why I left it. Money is an emotive issue for sure, second only perhaps to sex and good health :D but humour is one of the best things in life too and I felt the reference to 'buying the bridge' was so funny I have not stopped laughing since. :) I was having a bad day so that little piece of humour did me a world of good.!!:) Although our 'pockets' are being hit, our sense of humour should be kept intact, and help us to look at everything objectively. ? Take is easy 'Ken'. :) There is more very useful info appearing on here every day, and I am copying and pasting all the good ones. I hope more will come and add their 'headaches' too. ? The more we get the better it will be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Off-topic clutter deleted.

On topic again please ladies and gents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭demosuzki

Kazu wrote:
    there a shower of ****ers i had anytime 150hr dialup for four months during the summer they took 350 euro out of my account which should only have been 120 euro i rang to complain and all iam getting is a 50 euro refund which i havnt seen yet will never deal with them again :mad: :mad:

i've had similar

shut down the account but they kept charging
    200 euro before I noticed

real pain trying to get anyone to deal with
    finially they say they have no record of me closing down (i used their website)
    we agree to split the difference (as I cursed the robbing f*rkers)
    but they don't pay.
    I then hassle more (25 emails)
    get an apology and a promise to cut a cheque by march 2nd

no cheque

still no answer to calls or emails

I was going to get a new broadband servie
    their deal is the best on offer at my new address
    but I will not give them my money.

The Dossier to London is complete and ready to go, but the letter needs a few signatures. ! My own is not now enough. The letter has escalated and now includes demands that ESATBT not only get their act together, and Audit and Investigate the whole company, but that they recompense all those who have suffered at their hands in the past couple of years. That they investigate the 'soft' d/debit scandal in depth, and go through their customer base to see who has suffered from their bad treatment and recompense them as well. Plus a few other things like an admission to the Media. !
    However just carrying my signature is not now enough and will be miscontrued as a 'fraud' on my part just to add weight to my own arguments.
    If obtaining signatures is too difficult, then a private message stating 'add my name to the letter' and showing a full and correct name can be sent to me. I will then print these 'add my name's and attach to the letter.
    Thanks to all. !

Naturally anyone who wants to see the list of "requirements" and the "consequences of failure to implement requirements" are very welcome. Please let me know and I will send privately to anyone who wants. At the moment the only other 'signature' is from 'Sapele'. Plus of course the web pages from Adam which counts as a signature.

• Advertisement

PM sent.

I have today made a claim with the Small Claims court for my latest D/Debit fiasco with ESATBT. The dossier also went to London today. I will post a message back here, and on other Threads if and when I receive any response.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

I feel like a member of a club. I got my first broadband/calls bill from BT this morning and they have charged me for the conenciton fee even though it's supposed to be free if you're transferring.. sheesh..now it all begins..

Another customer joins the BT 'merrygoround'. Unfortunately your in for a very frustrating time. Trying to get your money back is like the proverbial 'getting blood from a stone'. :mad: I wish you luck. you will need it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 the gobbler

well..i'm finally off the BT merrygoround...after 7 months of sheer torture in calling them...3 bills from bt when i am with eircom...2 months of red tape trying to get a refund...i have finally got it and my account deleted with them,,it is so hard to get money back off them,,every time i called back to inquire bout the status,,i was given a different fob off..no auth...system error...no refund logged up!!...the list goes on..consumer affairs/comreg contacted..absolutely useless both of them.
    Thats it for me for BT...never again...i have put 26 people off from signing with them and will continue to do so,i deal with alot of companies day2day but never have i seen such incompetence...don't give up the good fight!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

parsi wrote:
    I feel like a member of a club. I got my first broadband/calls bill from BT this morning and they have charged me for the conenciton fee even though it's supposed to be free if you're transferring.. sheesh..now it all begins..
    If you've just seen the bill, and it hasn't been paid yet, then contact the bank now and stop the direct debit before they take the money. Then contact BT and tell them you've stopped the payment but will pay manually (by bank giro, billpay, etc) for the correct amount. This ensures that you don't have to go hunting for the money later.

They have issued you with an incorrect bill and you don't have to pay it. You do have to pay what you owe them obviously, but they have no right to overcharge you and expect you to pay with the promise of a refund later.

I got overcharged on my first bill, I rang and they said it would be discounted on the next bill and it was actually corrected on the 2nd bill. I seem to be one of the lucky few though, so if you don't want to chance it then do as I've said above. Far better to have them chase you for money than the other way round I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

i fully support this orginally i signed up to their special rate offer of 1mb and 12 gig cap , but then i was "automatically" moved to bt dsl option 2 which ment i had to pay 30 a month which i didnt mind because i would get a 2 mb line , only thing is they were happy to give me the bill but not the 2mb!
    and im still waiting for it after 2mths!

When you signed up to the special offer 1M, you got an introductory price, for a few months. The normal full price of the 1M product was always €30, so when the offer ended you would have to pay €30 for it. At the same time though, the 1M product changed to 2M, but you were still on the same option, not a new one. A totally new product, at 1M, was also introduced. Anyone on 1M now got an increase to 2M, anyone on the 2M got an increase to 3M.

The problem for you lies in that you're not getting the new speeds yet. This could be a problem with your line and it may not be capable of supporting 2M. In this case, BT should have contacted you and downgraded you to the new cheaper 1M product for free.

Check your modem stats to see what speed it reports to be syncing at. If it says 2M, then the line is capable. The low speeds could be a result of contention, or laziness somewhere on BT's side. If the modem does report 1M, then it would appear that you are being over charged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭emmagean

i was about to sign up for BT Line rental and BB but after readin this thread and others I certainly wont be now. There is nothing worse than handing your bank details to someone and giving them 'authority' to take out as much money as often as they like. Once they take it it's almost impossible to get it back.

That said though if anyone is being overcharged illegally by BT or anyone else and they are refusing to accept liability you should take your case to the Small Claims Court. I think the fee is something like €9. If and when they lose the case it usually always gets picked up by the print media. If everyone experiencing these problems takes individual cases then surely it's got to make a difference and get a ton of bad publicity for them?

Small Claims cases like this - i.e. obvious slam dunks - are rarely contested. It's cheaper to keep the lawyers at home unless marketing have a reason for the company to be seen to be defending itself.

[EDIT: I've been meaning to note in this thread that I decided not to "sign" this dossier, because of the way it was handled, and because I don't know the OP. I respect the right to anonymity like, I just didn't feel comfortable being a co-signatory to something in this way.]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Johnnio13

Alright folks,

Just got second bill from BT, its for 134euro......its supposed to be 53euro. Last bill was double+vat of what it should have been as well.

Fed up with all the emails and phone calls that it takes to get anything done. When I changed from dial-up to broadband, it took them 5 months to return the 150euro deposit they had belonging to me.
    After the first bill, I was told I would be refunded in this bill. Its a joke. Reading about the direct debit, can I stop that and pay manually?? I don't like the fact that they are taking it so softly!!

Add me to your list of complainers!! I am done with them......Eircom here I come!!

Johnnio......:mad:

Johnnio13 wrote:
    Reading about the direct debit, can I stop that and pay manually?? I don't like the fact that they are taking it so softly!!
    You should be able to stop the DD as it's your account and your money. However, it seems that some people are told differently by their banks so you'd want to check into that. I'm with BOI and have stopped DDs before without any problem. A friend of mine with AIB has also been able to do the same, he had problems with IBB. My sister though, who was with AIB, was told by them that she had no right to cancel a DD on her own account and they refused her request. She since moved to PTSB who are much better.

So it seems to depend on which bank you're with, and who you talk to in that bank, as to whether you can cancel the DD or not. If they refuse, close your account and move to a better bank, PTSB for example seem to be the popular choice right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭nearlyhappy

I'd recommend anyone to have a special DD account thats empty all the time.

That way if you deal with BT you can deal on your terms.

I've been with them for 6 months now and never got a correct bill, charged double every time.

I just stopped ringing em since they put a credit hold on my account, which means I wont be cut off.

I'll wait till they ring me now, come to think of it I might never have to pay them a penny !!

NH

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

jor el wrote:
    You should be able to stop the DD as it's your account and your money. However, it seems that some people are told differently by their banks so you'd want to check into that. I'm with BOI and have stopped DDs before without any problem. A friend of mine with AIB has also been able to do the same, he had problems with IBB. My sister though, who was with AIB, was told by them that she had no right to cancel a DD on her own account and they refused her request. She since moved to PTSB who are much better.

So it seems to depend on which bank you're with, and who you talk to in that bank, as to whether you can cancel the DD or not. If they refuse, close your account and move to a better bank, PTSB for example seem to be the popular choice right now.

According to the code available here: http://www.ipso.ie/frames/IrishPaymentServicesOrganisation.htm

a direct debit may cancelled by writing to your bank in good time! It should not depend on which bank you are with.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

I'd recommend anyone to have a special DD account thats empty all the time.

That way if you deal with BT you can deal on your terms.

I've been with them for 6 months now and never got a correct bill, charged double every time.

I just stopped ringing em since they put a credit hold on my account, which means I wont be cut off.

I'll wait till they ring me now, come to think of it I might never have to pay them a penny !!

NH

Now that is definitely a triumph of optimism over experience! Be careful that your account does not end up with debt collectors.:eek:

If you signed up with a credit card then you could change the details to a 3V voucher that has just enough to pay the bill. I'm planning on doing that when I get to finishing with BT. I'll have enough to pay what I owe them on it, but if they try to charge more after that it'll be hard poopies on them.

My apologies for not getting back here to bring this thing uptodate. The 'dossier' the 'bank' and 'Esat' took up so much time that I got behind on work. Plus the PC and internet went 'bust' . ! Anyway the net result is "NIL". Complete silence from everybody. BT London (A.Green) no reply, not even an acknowledgement. My own bank who paid Esat the money, 'silence'. EsatBT ? Of course 'silence'. Even the Small Claims Court rejected my claim. ! They said they only handle "Product & Services disputes" !!! :mad: So, thats it, nothing at all to report. Have been thinking about it a great deal, of course, and I am filing a complaint with the Financial Services Regulator today about my own bank. Also sending a complaint to IRECC (Irish Retail Electronic Payments Clearing Company) ! 'Phew'. Could they not have thought of a smaller name ?
    Some have suggested going to the Media. Another suggested all the way to Europe. ? Anyone have any ideas ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 dkc

At least you tried surveys, and are still trying. I think a lot of people in Ireland gave up complaining a long time ago because of a deep suspicion that 'nobody cares so why bother'. The only time politicians or the larger agencies seem to take an interest is when they have something to get out of it or someone has put them under a very big thumb! The rest of the time it's the old laissez faire attitude.

I'm sure you've been in touch with the consumer association of ireland to ask their advice? They seem helpful enough. For now, just keep throwing mud at the wall and hope that someone powerful deigns to look in your direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Sapele

It may be nil results at the moment, but at some stage in the future the telcos industry in Ireland will be correctly regulated and rip off companies like esatBT will no longer be able to operate as they do presently .....

• Advertisement

Please have a look at this link.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=51312714#post51312714
    This is the latest info..

Advertisement