Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driver goes 60 miles at 135mph after accelerator jams - escapes from crash unhurt

Options
  • 14-03-2006 10:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭

A motorist drove for 60 miles at speeds of 135mph after the accelerator on his BMW car jammed and his brakes failed.

Kevin Nicolle, 26, was on the A1 near Thirsk in North Yorkshire when the car started to accelerate.

"I was in tears most of the time on the phone to the police - I really could see myself dying," he told the BBC.

He had to drive on the hard shoulder to avoid crashing but eventually lost control and hit a roundabout near Blyth, Notts, but escaped unhurt.

Speaking to BBC Five Live about the incident on 5 March Mr Nicolle said: "I was travelling down the motorway and I came to traffic in front of me.

"I took my foot off the accelerator because it's automatic - but I wasn't slowing down at all.

"I hit the brakes. They were braking ok, they were keeping me at about 70mph.

"So I phoned up the police after I called the AA and they said straight away 'stick your hazard lights on and headlights on - we've got a helicopter on route to you'."

Police patrol cars were also sent but struggled to catch up with the BMW 318.

Mr Nicolle said: "Then the brakes started burning out - I could see smoke coming from the brakes."

He tried to put the car into neutral but the gears were jammed.

Mr Nicolle was in constant contact with the police on a hands-free phone.

As he approached Blyth he saw a sign for a roundabout.

"There was a load of cars parked waiting to go onto the roundabout, so I went on the inside on the hard shoulder to try to get around it.

"But doing that sort of speed there was no chance and I hit the roundabout head on.

"I remember the 999 lady saying 'he's crashed'.

"I survived the accident but I thought I was going to die in the fire."

But miraculously he walked away completely unhurt - and said he is now considering giving up driving for good.

Mr Nicolle said the police took the car away for tests and BMW said they would carry out a full investigation.

The R reg car had 107,000 miles on the clock and had three months remaining on the MOT.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/4796264.stm

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭maidhc

Mmmm, three cheers for drive by wire.

Isnt it the same thing that caused the bus in dublin to plough into those people?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I'm going to try that excuse the next time I get pulled for speeding. Sorry Garda my trottle was stuck on 160 kph :D

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

This was in one of the Sunday tabloids also, except in the paper he apparently said he'd definitely consider buying another BMW, as the smashed one showed how strong they were!

In the paper he said he didn't turn off ignition because power steering would stop working. But, woudl it not still be possible to steer the car, albeit a lot more elbow grease being required?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

Someone that stupid shouldn't be driving in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭maidhc

Someone that stupid shouldn't be driving in the first place.

The penny must have dropped ..."But miraculously he walked away completely unhurt - and said he is now considering giving up driving for good. "

I didnt think a 318 was capable of those speeds.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

byte wrote:
    In the paper he said he didn't turn off ignition because power steering would stop working. But, woudl it not still be possible to steer the car, albeit a lot more elbow grease being required?

Doubt this, turning off the ignition would have been grand going in a straight line.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

What an eejit - Turn off the frickin ignition and you wont be long stopping :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

byte wrote:
    This was in one of the Sunday tabloids also, except in the paper he apparently said he'd definitely consider buying another BMW, as the smashed one showed how strong they were!

Once the engine is turning, the power steering should be fine. Unless its an electric pump? Even then at speed the steering would be easy to use considering the minimal movement needed to get off the motorway.

Im surprised he burned the brakes, probably didnt use them hard enough before the temps got to em. Surely he could have slipped into neutral, thay have revlimiters after all.

WTF were the AA thinking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

wow that was a lucky escape.but that could happen to anyone, tempest if that happens to you we will be laughing, how can you say "Someone that stupid shouldn't be driving in the first place.".
    you must be the stupid one:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,399 ✭✭✭ando

i dont understand, could he not just turn the engine off? well then again, he's a bmw driver

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Surely out of all of those people in the AA and the police force, that someone already thought of turning off the ignition? C'mon guys, give them some credit.

Perhaps someone here can elaborate further, but I've been in cars where the power steering only comes on with the engine, and other cars where it'll come on once the ignition circuit is on (y'know when you switch on the radio).

Assuming this is an expensive car, perhaps it was keyless, or has a keylocking mechanism preventing the key from being turned when the revs were at a certain level? Ignitions can do funny things too. My brother's malfunctions, so there's no need to hold they key to turn on the engine - he just pushes it once, and the engine turns over until it engages :)

Actually, I had a jetski rev high uncontrolably last week, when I pressed the button to kill the ignition, nothing happened. The only way I managed to kill the engine was by flooding it by changing the air/fuel mix on the carb :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

seamus wrote:
    Surely out of all of those people in the AA and the police force, that someone already thought of turning off the ignition? C'mon guys, give them some credit.

Perhaps someone here can elaborate further, but I've been in cars where the power steering only comes on with the engine, and other cars where it'll come on once the ignition circuit is on (y'know when you switch on the radio).

Assuming this is an expensive car, perhaps it was keyless, or has a keylocking mechanism preventing the key from being turned when the revs were at a certain level? Ignitions can do funny things too. My brother's malfunctions, so there's no need to hold they key to turn on the engine - he just pushes it once, and the engine turns over until it engages :)

Well it had 107k miles so is most likely a few years old. Anyone have a link to the uk reg sytems , it was an R reg, so when was that? Any Uk dwellers on at the min? The firt thing that came to my mind after reading a few lines was "turn off the ignition" .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

JohnCleary wrote:
    Actually, I had a jetski rev high uncontrolably last week, when I pressed the button to kill the ignition, nothing happened. The only way I managed to kill the engine was by flooding it by changing the air/fuel mix on the carb :eek:

you weren't driving it at the time , were you ?

K-TRIC wrote:
    you weren't driving it at the time , were you ?

no, thankfully. I was just testing it so it was fixed in the water to the trailer. What happened was the throttle cable got stuck (Since replaced, running perfect noq!), but didnt see it at the time so I just flooded it by reducing the amount of air getting to the carb... I'm surprised I even thought of that.. im an idiot normally!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

This really is a crock.

I thought BMWs were supposed to be well made? So the throttle sticks open AND the gears simultaneously "freeze" (in top of course) and the car is the first in the world to have steer by wire.

BTW - try holding your foot on the throttle in top at 70mph while standing on the brakes. Unless you've somthing like an M5 you're going to stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,189 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Would the steering wheel not lock if there's no key in the ignition?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

Yes, but you don't need to take the key out to turn the ignition off.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

You dont have to take the key out. He could have turned it to position 2 and still enjoyed teh radio while slowing down.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,189 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Yes, but you don't need to take the key out to turn the ignition off.
    Oh of course, didn't think of it that way. It was the excuse he gave in the paper article I read.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

maidhc wrote:
    I didnt think a 318 was capable of those speeds.

318's are well capable of hitting that speed.
    Although the first thing that crossed my mind was why didn't he try the handbrake?
    I remember seeing something on tv regarding what in a situation where your brakes have failed. First thing was to lower speed by dropping down the gears, and using the handbrake to slow yourself. Then when you're at a slow enough speed, basically put the car into a sideways slide to come to a (more or less) stop.

Can't remember what the series was called, but Nick Frost hosted the program anyway.

Although the throttle being stuck open would be a bit of a kick in the teeth alright.
    byte wrote:

My father was in a crash in his 318 about 2 years ago, and he walked away from it with just a bit of whiplash. The car flipped numerous times aswell and was totally written off, but the passenger cabin was completely intact. Airbags popped out from the most unlikely places aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,419 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

What a lot of crap. Sure even that chav thicko would have had plenty of time to think about his options :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Spike wrote:
    Although the throttle being stuck open would be a bit of a kick in the teeth alright.
    Well, if you can find a nice policeman to perform the PIT on you, or manage to get the vehicle to swerve 180 degrees, then you should happily kill your engine. I can't see it being a fantastic option at 70mph and/or when there are 3 lanes of traffic beside you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

nm wrote:

Mr Nicolle said the police took the car away for tests and BMW said they would carry out a full investigation.

The only test needed to sort this out is a polygraph on Mr Nicolle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

And we all know that polygraphs are inadmissable as evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭redman

Stekelly wrote:
    You dont have to take the key out. He could have turned it to position 2 and still enjoyed teh radio while slowing down.

Brilliant!:D :D

Although the first thing that crossed my mind was why didn't he try the handbrake?

The handbrake in most cases uses the same pads on the rear as the hydraulic\pedal system. It sounds like he took too long to slow the car down on the footbrake and baked the brakes. This would have meant the rear brakes were toast too.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I don't believe him. Throttle stuck wide open, and no brakes? I don't think so.

Was he drunk?

I don't believe him. Throttle stuck wide open, and no brakes? I don't think so.

Was he drunk?

But if he took too long to slow the car down, he would have baked the brakes handy enough if the car is on full filt.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

All mentioned above, but he could have put it into neutral, or turned of the key.

If a throttle jams, I'm suggesting you would instinctively brake hard and immediately to stop the thing. That would not damage the brakes.

Advertisement