Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help with Belkin Router

• 14-03-2006 10:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    I am in a house sharing NTL 2 meg with 2 other people. I'm connected via a desktop and they have laptops.
    One of the laptops is having problems picking up the network while the other one is fine.
    The thing is that it's just this network that it's not picking up as it can pick up other peoples networks from time to time.

I have set up port forwarding on the router. I dunno if that makes any difference. It's a Belkin G Wireless Router.

Any ideas on this problem?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Gator

Update drivers of the nic card in the laptop..if this fails go to your local hardware...purchase a hammer..on arrival to your house continue to beat the s**t out of your router untill problem is solved....

Im so sick of belkin accessories..I have nothing but problems with them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Gator wrote:
    Update drivers of the nic card in the laptop..if this fails go to your local hardware...purchase a hammer..on arrival to your house continue to beat the s**t out of your router untill problem is solved....

The network worked ok previously but mysteriously stopped working. Do you think driver update would help? It's a dell :rolleyes: laptop by the way.

if laptop is fairly new then router could be source of prob..update firmware..

make sure wzc service is started on laptop

laptop could be out of range...bring it closer to router(silly i know)

make sure the card is compatible ie...router = 802.11.3a and card is 802.11 etc

I hope this gets you somewhere

Sorry..I dont know why that posted twice

It sounds like the wireles zero config service is not started...

if the laptop is running win xp service pack 2 then right click

my computer and click manage

click services and applications

click services and scroll down to the bottom and you should see wzc

click this and select start and set it to automatic

another thing...if you have two computers that are named the same ie
    "johns computer" then you will get a "duplicate name exists on the network" message...one of the comps will not be able to connect to the router...

see how you get on with that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

If it can pick up other networks would this not indicate that the WZC is started? And if it worked fine before.

Sorry. I'm pretty new to networks. :)

• Advertisement

Ok...

1 - if there is security enabled disable it ie wep etc and disable all firewalls..if it works and stops drop ing the connection then enable the firewall first..encryption second etc....see if it drops it when each one of these is enabled

or....

2 - go to services again and navigate to the make of the card in the laptop
    and set the service to disabled..this will let windows software take control
    of your connection

By the way...if the make of the card in the laptop is :mad: belkin:mad: and there is zonealarm installed this could be the problem...it will not let you connect even when the firewall is disabled....I know loads of people who refuse to buy belkin as there is a good few problems with 2000 and xp

Just as a matter of interest..what ports have you forwarded

Advertisement