Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

anybody 100% **** up mocks

Options
  • 14-03-2006 11:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭

i ****ed up big time .
    i was aimin for 420 in the mocks. i wana do civil engineering in ucd.heres my results so far all higher level
    Failed maths...32%....29 in paper 1 and 34 in paper2 and i got 43 marks in the 1st q of both then ****ed calculus and the rest followed suit hopin for a B3 r C1.

Failed Physics 29% A ****ing joke i got 20marks for all experiments.hopin for C1

Biology D... 53% nearly a c was hopin for a B1

thats all so far but let me tell you irish wasnt a honour either

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭abercrombie

i suppose this isn't a good time to say that i got 560 without putting much effort in....but then again, i got exactly what i wanted in the mocks and what i didn't know didn't come up so i was lucky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭casanova_kid

i suppose this isn't a good time to say that i got 560 without putting much effort in....but then again, i got exactly what i wanted in the mocks and what i didn't know didn't come up so i was lucky
    I believe you are suffering from a syndrome called not taking enough credit. You should really give yourself a pat on the back. 560 points is fantastic. Mind you, i'd prefer your way than this knob in my school who insists on screaming and jumping around in celebration every time he gets an A1 which is quite often.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

It isn't really, no.
    i ****ed up big time .
    i was aimin for 420 in the mocks. i wana do civil engineering in ucd.heres my results so far all higher level
    Failed maths...32%....29 in paper 1 and 34 in paper2 and i got 43 marks in the 1st q of both then ****ed calculus and the rest followed suit hopin for a B3 r C1.

Failed Physics 29% A ****ing joke i got 20marks for all experiments.hopin for C1

Biology D... 53% nearly a c was hopin for a B1

thats all so far but let me tell you irish wasnt a honour either
    Don't worry about it. The whole point in having a mock is so you can make mistakes. It's a chance to do the LC once without consequence and see where you'd go wrong. Don't dwell on the bad results, just learn from them and move on. This shit happens, it's not the end of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

First of all, relax. It's only the mocks, after all.
    Secondly, look at where you went wrong in each subject. If you need help with anything in particular, then talk to your teachers or think about getting grinds. Don't forget too that you've almost 3 months of study time left. Just get the head down now and you'll be grand for the LC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Smurfpiss

i got 41% in honours maths in the mock. one other lad passed. I got a b1 in the real thing. like wise, did crap in physics in mocks did well in the real thing. the only subject i did worse in was french and that was down a grade. just study your ass off and you'll have everything covered by june.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭willowmegs

im doing 5 honours 2 ordinary at the mo. for my pre i only honoured one and passed the rest, but got an E in honours spanish. thats ok anyway because i want to do ordinary level for the real thing. overall i got about 245 points. i dont hav a clue what i want to do after school and if i do go to college it will probably be one of those which dont require points so i'd say i'll be ok, but i'd like to do better in the real thing. which means actually putting the work in and staying away from the computer/msn messenger/myspace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭godfather69er

Smurfpiss wrote:
    i got 41% in honours maths in the mock. one other lad passed. I got a b1 in the real thing. like wise, did crap in physics in mocks did well in the real thing. the only subject i did worse in was french and that was down a grade. just study your ass off and you'll have everything covered by june.

eh dats the most annoying thing since we came back after the xmas i was doin 3hrs a day + homework+ school i am freaked and i put the most effort into maths and physics, ye 520 is savage fair play. i thinks easter revision in ioe is the best bet anybody have any feedback from maths physics and biology grinds

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

Isn't civil engineering in UCD 495?

And the mocks were a bit of a disaster, but at least you know now and still have 3 months to sort it out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭godfather69er

Funkstard wrote:
    Isn't civil engineering in UCD 495?

And the mocks were a bit of a disaster, but at least you know now and still have 3 months to sort it out

ye it is but i was aiming for 420 coz that was wat i though i was capable of at the mo... obviously not!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Wez

I did terrible in the mocks, and I'm finding it ROCK hard to study lately! I wanted around 350 and I got similar results to the op's.. I'm getting a bit of an exception in the LC, basically I just have to make the points in an exam, and don't need to expand on them. Basically, I just show I know the stuff but didn't have the time to learn the stuff and expand on it. My goal now is to find the best way to use this allowance.. Fingers crossed! Worst comes to worst I think I'll just do a plc and then do my desired course in college (comp. science)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

Wez wrote:
    I'm getting a bit of an exception in the LC, basically I just have to make the points in an exam, and don't need to expand on them. Basically, I just show I know the stuff but didn't have the time to learn the stuff and expand on it. My goal now is to find the best way to use this allowance.. Fingers crossed! Worst comes to worst I think I'll just do a plc and then do my desired course in college (comp. science)

what, thats illegal and unfair :mad:

tell me how you did this ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Awayindahils

The mocks are meant to be a disater, if you get super high marks in your mocks the chances of becoign complacent is huge, there is absolutely nothing worse than doing better in the mocks than in the real thing. The maount of work you are able to do after the mocks i huge. More thna that you actaully have the courses finished, which dosnt happen for the mocks. And if you have finished the course by the mocks, you mst deifnelty havnt had a chance to revise anything. Secondly teachers have done revision classes hwich do help, they provide clarity and let you know your weaknesses and strenghts. Don't worry if you rma your mocks, seriosuly most of us did. The mocks are about timing, and learning to cope witht he pressur ena distitng on your ass for nearly 6 hours in day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭Faerie

It's really great that you got brilliant results and are pleased with your results but there's a little thing called TACT!!

And godfather69er lots of people completely mess up their mocks. First of all the mocks can be harder, they are made by companies who just want to make money, and can sometimes totally not reflect a LC paper (e.g. the Biology paper that they did in my year left out questions that are apparently guaranteed in the exam), and besides now at least you know that you have to study, and what are your weakest points. There are still 12 weeks!!

Awayindahils is right, the main thing to take from the mocks is basically better time management. I realised in my mocks that I need to concentrate on that! I tend to daydream in exams and I spent nearly 2 hours on my poetry question in English paper 2 when it's worth the least! It meant that I dropped to an A2 but at least I know now for the actual exam!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭exiot

I thought the mocks were brilliant, they gave me sort of a wake-up call, I know I failed Physics but Im not pushed. I learnt from my mistakes such as how to spell Khruschev and know the correct names for the Show trials.

Its all about learning from the mistakes your make, working from there and improving the aspects of the exam you clearly dont know well enough.. Its just studying is the hard part... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Smurfpiss

eh dats the most annoying thing since we came back after the xmas i was doin 3hrs a day + homework+ school i am freaked and i put the most effort into maths and physics, ye 520 is savage fair play. i thinks easter revision in ioe is the best bet anybody have any feedback from maths physics and biology grinds

heh didn't say i got 520...got 545 actually...shhhh!
    i heard physics grinds in institute were good. i think. likewise biology ya can't go wrong...treat that physics book as a bible. i'm in college now, did physics 1st and 2nd year and i was still using it in 1st year. its THAT good. (i'm talking bout the one with the massive bubble on it)
    easter revision helps alot. work the papers too. especially with maths and the sciences, because you will be 100% more comfortable with them come exam time. best of luck, it will be alright on the day..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Wez

smemon wrote:
    what, thats illegal and unfair :mad:

tell me how you did this ;)

Well, my mum fell down the stairs and broke her neck last summer, so I have to spend time looking after her and the house instead of studying.. I got a letter off my doctor and gave it to my guidance counsellor who checked it out for me and that's basically what they said..

Advertisement