Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hints at car problem..

Options
  • 15-03-2006 12:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭

Hey, don't know if motors is the right place for this (there doesn't seem to be much mantainence chat going on here..)

Here goes anyway!

My sister recently offered me her car if I want it.. It's a pink Cinquecento, and it has a few problems with it.

They are:

The exhaust needs to be changed, just the box though, rest is fine.

Also, there seems to be oil leaking from underneath the engine bay.

I haven't had a chance to have a proper look at it yet, but it did start last weekend after sitting outside my gate for about 4 months now, so it's fairly reliable.

Can anybody tell me, what would you say is the source of the leak? It seems like it could be a number of things, maybe the gear box, but I'm trying to estimate how much it would cost to repair, and need to know what's wrong before I have to splash out. I won't have a chance to get a look at the car for a while, so a guess will do for now.

cheers for any hints!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭5500

Take it to an "nct" carwash and get the underside cleaned,its the only way really to start figuring where the leaks coming from if the underbody is full of gunk

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Cinq backboxes are available in most good exhaust places for around €55 and the oil leak is most likely due to either the sump rusting through (common) or the rocker cover gasket leaking (very common). If its pink its most likely an S model with an 899cc engine - there are lots of them in scrapyards around and parts are cheap.
    Early Cinqs were subject to a recall to treat a rust problem in the petrol tank - fuel starvation from blocked pumps and filters is common if the tank wasn't changed - the filter is a big coke-can sized yoke under the middle of the car. Few Cinqs have working handbrakes, the mechanisms are poor to start with and the cables seize over time - usually they only work on one side at best.

I have had three Cinqs - my wife likes to describe it as a problem but when you can buy them for €200 and get 45+mpg who cares.

Drive it like you stole it and good luck.

'cptr

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Wez wrote:
    It's a pink Cinquecento!

A respray should fix that problem :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

A respray should fix that problem :D

Why bother? I can't imagine that Cinq drivers are a particularly insecure lot in general!

Advertisement