Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

small bit of research help

Options
  • 15-03-2006 12:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭

how it's going?

i've to give a very short speach on a topic of my choice and i've decided to tackle eircom while talking about their fixed phone services and their broadband.

there's a few things maybe you guys could help me out on...

1. what percentage of the lines in ireland to eircom owned?

2. i'm going to be comparing basic adsl products from 3 other countries to give an indication of price, which three would be best. i was thinking UK, france and sweden, who are the eircom equals (national telecoms company) in these respective countries (brittain is bt).

thanks for your responses in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

Cremo wrote:
    1. what percentage of the lines in ireland to eircom owned?

Eircom own most of the lines in Ireland and it is Eircom, Eircom PLC, owns them the Irish Government does not, They sold the entire network which has created this mess in the first place. I would say with a fair deal of confidence that the majority of them are Eircom owned. Eircom owns between 95 and 98% of the Irish telephone lines. The exception being the Governemnt MAN's and BT's Fibre along the Railways, The Chorus and NTL Cable network, The ESB's Fibre-optic network, Magnet's FTTH (Fibre to the Home). While none of these are "phone-lines" per say as in the Eircom Copper network sense.

However all of these could deliver a phone service without the need for a Copper Cable into the premises. All of these could with a bit of tweaking and modding deliver at least a 5MB Broadband service, Excluding Fibre which has almost infinite potential. This Broadband service could deliver a Voip phone service in Theory. However the only company I know that are doing this today are Magnet and they offering Voip Telephone, Magnet IPTV and Broadband internet access. They are offering this using ADSL+2 and from what I've heard the service is unable to cope with the bandwidth demands from IPTV which is really only suitable for FTTH. Voip = Voice over Internet protocol. IPTV = Internet protocol Television. If there was a FTTH service rolled out as the chambers of commerce wanted it would completely revolutionise Irish telecommunication and would give the potential for someone in Ireland to "tune" into NBC, ESPN or NewYork1 or give access to the Australian network Similarly. People could access our Channels if the were unlinked onto IPTV. IPTV and a 1GB FTTH Connection with a HD-TV would be my dream come true, however at the rate of things here I can expect it be something I can mess around with in a Nursing home in the last yrs of my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

thanks for that, nicely helped me out...

just one quick question about line rental, does anyone know how much smart and esatbt pay eircom for using their lines, i went on eircom's wholesale site but as usual it doesn't have any prices.

Advertisement