Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What car have 7-9k spend almera astra or focus

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

New Focus 1.4 has 80 bhp Silvera. Still not enough imho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭cargrouch

MPG?

Gearing will make a big difference - examples from vague memories:
    1.4 12V SOHC fiat, 5th gear,70mph was about 4000rpm - thirsty.

1.4 16V DOHC nissan,5th gear, 70mph was under 3000rpm - ran on air. Lighter car though.

I would say a bigger engine able to cruise along at the speed limit on lower revs would be better than a smaller engine doing higher revs for miles and miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

Psygnosis wrote:
    Ok guys appreciate all the reply's looks like a 1.6 or 1.4 is the same insurance for me so happy days.

Will I get alot lower MPG with a 1,6 60% of my driving would be motorway long distance.

Looking at the leons and they look well nice.

By what people are saying here it looks like II may get a Focus.
    Keep up the replys though

Buy a focus with low miles and a good service history. there was an issue with an engine coil, thats easily replaced, and u should ask for it to be replaced, but apart fromt that there a sweat drive and great handler. I wouldnt touch the 98 Astra on, the more stories i heard about Timing belts , engine failure and apparently there a very incomfortable driving seat, but then i might be passing a chinese whisper. Almera is grand but looks boring. Golf is a nice car as well, you wont go wrong with either focus or golf if u ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

tred wrote:
    Buy a focus with low miles and a good service history. there was an issue with an engine coil, thats easily replaced, and u should ask for it to be replaced, but apart fromt that there a sweat drive and great handler. I wouldnt touch the 98 Astra on, the more stories i heard about Timing belts , engine failure and apparently there a very incomfortable driving seat, but then i might be passing a chinese whisper. Almera is grand but looks boring. Golf is a nice car as well, you wont go wrong with either focus or golf if u ask me.
    Unless your talking about a Zetec Focus, its far from a sweet drive, because its standard engine has about as much power as a wheelbarrow going downhill.

You talk about a 98 astra but for 7k to 9k you can easily get a 2000 to 2002 Astra???

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

irish1 wrote:
    You talk about a 98 astra but for 7k to 9k you can easily get a 2000 to 2002 Astra???

He said "98 on"

• Advertisement

Well I'd like to hear what problems he knows of with the timing belt and Engine of the 2002 Astra?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

irish1 wrote:
    Unless your talking about a Zetec Focus, its far from a sweet drive, because its standard engine has about as much power as a wheelbarrow going downhill.

A Zetec spec. actually has nothing to do with the engine. In the mk1 Focus you could get slow but sure and secure 1.4 Zetec, all the way through to a 2.0 litre, which was pretty zippy. Even the basic car drove nicely, but was no road rocket. It is insurance and road tax friendly I guess.

Zetec spec. means sports seats and suspension, plus some other trim options.

On the Mk2 Focus Zetec a/c, fuel computer, and more goodies were added. The 1.4 engine gave 5bhp more or 80bhp.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

even so, 5bhp would hardly transform it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭slumped

Buy a 1998 BMW 318i - or 1997 model.

Will get one with less than 90k on clock - runs well.

S

My Apologies I meant a 1.6 Zetec because the 1.4 is dead imo no power at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Psygnosis

I got my loan approved today guys 8k also have my 1.3 Fiesta 97d 55k on the clock to trade in. Passenger lock is not working I have a spare lock with a new key in the drawer it is also due a service.
    How much should I get trade in on it do you think

Advertisement