Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WEEE for a Small Retailer

Options
  • 15-03-2006 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭

I do some work for a small DIY retailer. They have paid €20 to register for WEEE with their local County Council. As the shop may import a small amount of goods from the UK they are classified as a "Producer". As a Producer they were obliged to register with the WEEE Register Society for a cost of €250.

The business is now being asked to register with one of the two compliance schemes (WEEE Ireland or European Recycling Platform / ERP). The cost of joining one of these compliance schemes for a year is €1,000 - €1,200. The only interaction that the business will have with the compliance scheme is that the WEEE charges will be paid to them every month.

The business had no issues with paying the €20 and €250 registration fees. However, there is a great difficulty with paying over €1,000 to a compliance scheme just so that we can send them a cheque every month.

Does anyone have any opinions on this or know of any way to avoid this exorbitant cost on a small retailer?

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

refuse to pay?

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Fergal C

Bond-007 wrote:
    refuse to pay?
    Is there any legal way not to pay?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

The Business is not obliged to join - it can operate the WEEE regulations itself. see : http://www.weeeireland.ie/producers.html

It depends on what proportion of goods begin sold come under the the producer area.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Fergal C

Thanks Jimmy

I was informed by a person at The Department of the Environment, about a week ago, that self compliance was really difficult and as a result there was not even one business in the country that opted for self compliance.

However, I will definitely look into it further, thanks again.

Advertisement