Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Hybrid Bike €400-600

Options
  • 15-03-2006 12:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭

Hi I am looking to get a good hybrid bike for in or around 400 to 600 Euro.

Can anyone recommend anything.
    I would be commuting around 18 miles per day

Two makes I have been looking at are Ridgeback and Lapierre are these good bikes??

Cheers

D

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

they are both fine. have a look at the specialized sirrus also and although people will tell you not to buy from them the subway range in halfords are v. nice for a slightly chunkier commuter..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,020 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Have a Ridgeback Cyclone myself and I'm very happy with it. Not exactly a Hybrid but has slicks and moves a lot faster than my mountain bike. It essentially an Urban bike if you can call it that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭DiamondJQuimby

I think it is down to these four then.

Ridgeback Genesis Day 01
    Specialized Sirrus
    Lapierre Cruiser lite 06
    Carrera Gryphon

Although I think all of these are slightly over €600

Anyone know of a good site which would review these and would they stand up to the Irish roads.

Thanks

D

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

try the forum on cyclingplus.co.uk, I know the ridgebacks and the specialized always get great reviews..

check the prices too, online and up north, i bought my last 2 bikes up north and saved a couple of hundred against what they were in dublin..

Thanks for that Dave.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

My Specialized Sirrus Elite (2005 model) was bought for evening and weekend exercise spins. It's a solid machine.

It was a double but I asked to have a triple ring fitted as you know what Wicklow is like - not very flat. So it now has 3 x 8 = 24 gears.
    I hope to do the Wicklow 100 on it in June with about a 1% chance I might do the 200.

The tyres are good as they are almost puncture-proof (Armadillos). I fitted a carrier and a bag to fit that. Also the seat stem started to disintigrate so the shop replaced it with a standard seat post. Fitted small lights front and back and clip-on mudgards, and a cycle computer.

How much did that set you back if you don't mind me asking..
    Just the standard Sirrus Elite without the extra gears.

And also are them tyres standard or extra..

Cheers

D

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭miketv

speaking of hybrids does anybody have an opinion on claud butler and the bike being the "levante" i think (in the region of €600ish) I love the look of this. The Specialized Sirrus are good but they only seem to do silver (black is the colour I'm keen on). I would also love(best looking as well) the cannonadale bad boy ultra but at €1600 ummm bit on the expensive side.
    So as the days get longer I'm gonna have to make a decision soon so any advice (especially on the claud butler) would be great.
    cheers
    Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

The 2006 basic Sirrus model is black...

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=13595

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

How much did that set you back if you don't mind me asking..
    Just the standard Sirrus Elite without the extra gears.

And also are them tyres standard or extra..

Cheers

D

It was about €950 in August 2005 in Cycleways. As far as I know they just changed it from a double to a triple. I hadn't decided to buy so they probably saw it as a deal clincher. And I was buying clothes, clip-on pedals, shoes, and other things so they probably though they had speared me for enough. The tyres are standard and are good (until I get my first puncture :) )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭miketv

Morgan wrote:
    The 2006 basic Sirrus model is black...

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=13595

o yes..sorry silly me :rolleyes:

Advertisement