Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

E46 318/320 Coupe Questions

Options
  • 15-03-2006 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭

I was thinking of buying a '02 318 or 320 Coupe. I just have a few questions someone here may be able to answer.
    What is the service interval?
    How can I tell by looking at the dash when the next service is due?
    Is it a timing belt or chain?
    When does the timing chain/belt need to be replaced?
    Is there any well-know problems with this model I should be looking out for?
    Does the sat-nav work in Ireland when the car is an UK import?
    When did the facelift of this model happen (I think it was Sept '01)?
    Anyone own one of these, that are they like power-wise (considering the one I was looking at has 18" alloys)?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,419 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

What is the service interval?

Depends on the way the car is driven. Kilometers driven when the engine is cold count several times and so do kilometers driven when the engine revs over a certain limit. Rev over a certain limit while the engine is cold and that kilometer counts as more than 10 kilometers :eek:
    How can I tell by looking at the dash when the next service is due?

There is a service indicator on the dash. After a service you'll see 5 green leds lit up. Over time you'll loose one after the other until they're all gone. Next the orange led will light up indicating that a service is due. If you leave it for another while, the red led will light up
    Is it a timing belt or chain?

Chain
    When does the timing chain/belt need to be replaced?

Probably doesn't need replacing
    Is there any well-know problems with this model I should be looking out for?

Not really, but check out this link: Fairly close to perfection
    Does the sat-nav work in Ireland when the car is an UK import?

I doubt it without an upgrade. Ireland has only recently been fully mapped. Do a search on this forum for some very informative general discussions on satnav. Find out who provides the maps for the BMW satnav system and if you are entitled to (free) upgrades
    that are they like power-wise

I'd recommend you go for any of the straight six engines if you can afford it at all. Big difference performance wise. I wouldn't have much interest in any 4-pot BMW myself
    (considering the one I was looking at has 18" alloys)?

Looks great, but serious repercussions using them on anything except good quality roads here in Ireland. I've 18" alloys with low profile tyres on my 7-series and I've wrecked one (expensive) tyre in 2 years with careful driving. Unless you drive on good roads most of the time, I would not recommend 18"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

Unkel's answered all of it for ye.

Out of the two however, I'd have the 320 6 cylinder... far easier than the 318 to sell on down the road too.

The market is swamped with 318Ci's and not many decent spec'd 320Ci's

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭padraigmyers

Thanks for all that information. :)
    unkel wrote:
    I'd recommend you go for any of the straight six engines if you can afford it at all. Big difference performance wise. I wouldn't have much interest in any 4-pot BMW myself.

A lot of people say this, but the 318 is a 2.2Ltr with 143bhp now isn't it? That sounds like a pretty OK car. I have driven a '02 325Ci (and money is not a problem), and yeah, it has pretty good power, but I don't think a BMW is the kind of car yuu buy if you want real speed or power, the Japs seam to have that market well and truly cornered. My 2 brothers drive a Celica GT4 and a Subaru WRX STI so any BMW seams very underpowered compared to them. The problem with the 6-pots is that they are very hard to get rid of in the republic, its next to impossible to shift a 5 or 6 year old 328 323, but you will have poeple queuing up for a well taken care of 318 that looks sporty. I only intend keeping the car for 2-3 year, so deprication is a big factor. What do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭kdevitt

unkel wrote:

There is a service indicator on the dash. After a service you'll see 5 green leds lit up. Over time you'll loose one after the other until they're all gone. Next the orange led will light up indicating that a service is due. If you leave it for another while, the red led will light up

Thats not true in the case of the E46 - it simply displays the number of miles left till the next service at startup.
    unkel wrote:

I doubt it without an upgrade. Ireland has only recently been fully mapped. Do a search on this forum for some very informative general discussions on satnav. Find out who provides the maps for the BMW satnav system and if you are entitled to (free) upgrades

You can buy the CD / DVD upgrade quite cheap - upgrades aren't free though. Ireland is covered.
    unkel wrote:
    I'd recommend you go for any of the straight six engines if you can afford it at all. Big difference performance wise. I wouldn't have much interest in any 4-pot BMW myself

Agreed on the power - the 320i will have 170+ standard, the 318 will only have 140, and a good deal less torque.
    unkel wrote:
    Looks great, but serious repercussions using them on anything except good quality roads here in Ireland. I've 18" alloys with low profile tyres on my 7-series and I've wrecked one (expensive) tyre in 2 years with careful driving. Unless you drive on good roads most of the time, I would not recommend 18"

I'm running 18's on my coupe - changing to 19's soon. Even on the very worst of roads, the ride quality doesn't suffer. Haven't ever come close to wrecking a wheel though!

Facelift was in 2003 I think by the way.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

A lot of people say this, but the 318 is a 2.2Ltr with 143bhp now isn't it? That sounds like a pretty OK car.
    Its a 2L (1995cc) straight 4.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

The problem with the 6-pots is that they are very hard to get rid of in the republic, its next to impossible to shift a 5 or 6 year old 328 323, but you will have poeple queuing up for a well taken care of 318 that looks sporty. I only intend keeping the car for 2-3 year, so deprication is a big factor. What do you think?

i disagree padraig :)

the irish motorist is fast becoming more and more educated on differing cars. Particularly the BMW coupé type of market.

Before there was a sense of, yeah that'll do, its the coupé it looks good :cool:

Nowadays however, how many 318s are up for sale in garages and privately? BTW, the 318's have a 2L 4Cyl engine with 140BHP approx. the 320Ci's have a 2.2 6Cyl engine with 170BHP-ish and significantly more torque lower down.

I looked and looked for a decent spec'd 320Ci and came up with nothing without having to travel to the uk and import.

I think you will sell on a decent spec'd 320Ci far easier after your 2 yrs enjoyment than you will a 318Ci...

Good luck with the buying

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

From late 2001 the 318 is a 2 litre with 143bhp, up from the 1.9l 125bhp of the pre facelift model. Facelifted models are easily identifiable by the triangular (instead of rectangular) side indicators and the headlights which "swoop" up at the sides rather than down.

When you turn the ignition on the dash will display how many miles are left before the next oil service (expensive) or inspection 1 (v. expensive) or inspection 2 (bloody expensive). E46s don't have the LEDs.

Power wise, it depends what you are used to. I have the lower powered '00 318 with an automatic gearbox and I find it's quick enough but as you say, if you want speed you buy something else. I love the smoothness of the whole thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,419 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

kdevitt wrote:
    Thats not true in the case of the E46 - it simply displays the number of miles left till the next service at startup

Ah, thanks for correcting that. Funny BMW has done that, they usually stick with the same systems, clocks, buttons, etc. for ages (even across models)
    kdevitt wrote:
    You can buy the CD / DVD upgrade quite cheap - upgrades aren't free though. Ireland is covered.

Any idea how much upgrades cost? Who provides the maps?
    but the 318 is a 2.2Ltr with 143bhp now isn't it?

Power is right, but the engine is a 2.0l.
    ciarsd wrote:
    the 320 6 cylinder... far easier than the 318 to sell on down the road too.
    its next to impossible to shift a 5 or 6 year old 328 323, but you will have poeple queuing up for a well taken care of 318 that looks sporty

It's probably ok to resell the 320, which is a 2.2l, but I agree with you there padraig that the 2.5l+ engined cars are hard to sell
    I don't think a BMW is the kind of car yuu buy if you want real speed or power, the Japs seam to have that market well and truly cornered. My 2 brothers drive a Celica GT4 and a Subaru WRX STI so any BMW seams very underpowered compared to them

*coughs* ;)

Thanks for all the information guys, some helpful stuff in there. Looks like the 320 is the way to go, although if I can't get my hands on one I'm still OK with a 318 if its the 143bhp model. I have an opportunity to get my hands on a 318Ci with full M-pack and leather interior (60K miles) through the trade for 23K, this sounds like a pretty good deal, what do ye think?

unkel wrote:
    *coughs* ;)
    Sorry, I know the M5, M3 and some of the big 7 series would give any of these cars a serious lesson, but that wasn't really what I was talking about, I was talking the non-sport models up to 3.0Ltr. I know there are a lot of people who think that Jap cars are just pices of junk, but a modified 320bhp GT4 packs quite a punch!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Sorry, I know the M5, M3 and some of the big 7 series would give any of these cars a serious lesson, but that wasn't really what I was talking about, I was talking the non-sport models up to 3.0Ltr. I know there are a lot of people who think that Jap cars are just pices of junk, but a modified 320bhp GT4 packs quite a punch!
    Anything modified can pack 'quite a punch'.
    However, as we are talking about standard road cars here your points again are not really pertinent to the thread.

kbannon wrote:
    Anything modified can pack 'quite a punch'.
    However, as we are talking about standard road cars here your points again are not really pertinent to the thread.

Sorry.....can of worms.....forget I mentioned it.....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

Guys,
    As you have been looking at 2nd hand BMW's, do you know any good dealers that have a good selection of used 2000+ 3 Series BMW's. I'm on the lookup but don't want to spend more that €15k
    thegills

Advertisement