Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PL/SQL database replication help

Options
  • 15-03-2006 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

i have an assignment that requires me to replicate a database in oracle 10g. I'm stuck in that i dont know where to begin. First thing that comes to mind is to get the schema of the first database and create the tables in the destination database and then use dynamic sql statements to extract information from each table and copy it in.

I'm looking for any help (not code obviously, but examples would be very much appreciated!) cos google isnt being my best friend at the moment and i'm very much lost :(

all the best,

daz

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 756 ✭✭✭Zaph0d

Are you trying to set up database replication (continuous updates bewteen two servers) or are you trying to do a once-off copy of a database from one server to another?

Are the source and destination databases both Oracle 10g?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

http://www.orafaq.com/faqrepl.htm should be the logical place to start.

(First hit on a google for Oracle Replication)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

yeah i've looked that over, maybe i just havent read it properly. its a once off replication

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Q_Ball wrote:
    its a once off replication

Isn't that what's commonly called a copy?

I mean...you don't do "once-off replication" of files...you copy them ;)

Basically, it sounds like you want to back up the database and restore it somewhere else, thus giving you a copy.

If that's accurate, have a look at EXP and IMP.

jc

Advertisement